Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > Navigation update options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ABAB

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Navigation update options

My MY16 navigation mapping is showing its age.

Would be grateful to know the update options for this MY of car. I see there’s a LR update for £180ish which I’d be OK with if the latest mapping they supply was more recent than 3/19.

Not sure what, if any other options are out there - to be honest it seems like a minefield of different systems on the RR and even on just the L405 over each of the model years. 2016 SDV8 AB

Post #634425 12th Jun 2022 6:05pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

I'd be very careful before going for a LR product.
I'm currently in the situation where i've just paid for a 3-year subscription, (MY2017) but there is no way to get the car to update successfully. I've tried multiple downloads and different FAT32 64Gb USB3 sticks, I have 2 different downloads, exact same number of bytes in the files, but it keeps failing at different % completion about 12 times so far, so now i have to take it to a dealer each time I need to update, because the system is crap? I feel like asking for my money back right now, not sure what to do, or what my rights are.
There are no fault codes on the vehicle, and the inControl Software is the latest version. Censored “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #634433 12th Jun 2022 6:56pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

I was intending to upgrade my map Gremlin,( I get nagged it’s not as good as her BMW ) from what you are saying it seems best not to do so. Did the dealer do it for you or not ?

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #634437 12th Jun 2022 7:17pm
MrWold

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Barolo Black

Gremlin500 wrote:
I'd be very careful before going for a LR product.

Rolling with laughter Don't we all have one already? Chris

2014 FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Barolo Black
2012 RRS SDV6 HSE Baltic Blue
and before I saw the light:
2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara SZ5
1998 Ford Mondeo V6 Ghia X
1990 Citroen BX GTi
1973 Triumph GT6

Post #634477 12th Jun 2022 10:23pm
Gremlin500

Embarassed

How very true………. Rolling with laughter

It helps to have a massive sense of humour or be masochistic……. (or both)

Still waiting for a call back from the Dealer (Stratstone), hopefully tomorrow….

What about “distance selling” regulations? Surely they can’t sell you something that is useless, then charge you extra labour to fix it?!?!

Censored Censored Censored Sad “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #634483 12th Jun 2022 11:18pm
ABAB

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

In case it helps, I now understand that the navigation system changed significantly after my model year, so am really interested in experiences for up to and including MY16. 2016 SDV8 AB

Post #634597 14th Jun 2022 11:52am
Kot

United Kingdom 

Start by doing a search on here
Then Google search "update infotainment system L405"
And see what system suits you.

Also try RRS and Disco sites see what other people have done with same infotainment system you currently have.

Then post back and enlighten us Thumbs Up 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #634602 14th Jun 2022 1:30pm
Bora20

Canada 2013 Range Rover 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I have updated the maps in the OEM screen. Works decent, but not the most current.

I mostly use Waze with Bluetooth and play Amazon music at the same time from my phone. A magnetic vent holder works for me. Not integrated, but cheap, in my pocket, and always up to date.

I have looked at the upgrade Android systems, but cannot justify the cost for my needs. Your result may vary. Dan. 🇨🇦 2013 L405 5.0 SCV8

Post #634606 14th Jun 2022 3:24pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

ABAB wrote:
In case it helps, I now understand that the navigation system changed significantly after my model year, so am really interested in experiences for up to and including MY16.

I have replaced my factory nav with an icarsoft box. This gives me Apple Car Play so I now get to use whichever nav system I choose... Mine is a pre-production 15my if that helps?

I certainly would NOT change back to the factory nav, now I've had six months of trouble-free usage with this box... Thumbs Up

Post #634652 14th Jun 2022 11:37pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

+1 Waze with or without CarPlay. Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #634803 16th Jun 2022 8:54pm
Swasher

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Gremlin500, Oh dear...
Looks like I'm in for a shabby result too..
Have been on the InfoTouch all whizzy whizzy website, and was reasonably impressed..
Until it came to downloading the map software which I've just bought 3 years' worth, thinking that it looked sorted.
I suffered from the 64Gb usb stick problems - the download repeatedly kept stalling with messages regarding 'Can't read the USB stick'..'The file or directory xxxxxx.zip is corrupt' etc etc, but as soon as I hit the CHkdsk utility (all fine) and 'Retry ' button, it all seemed to kick back off and run from where it started from..
Long story short, at about 2am one morning the download finished.
I copied it over to a hard drive for backup, and have now started again, with the same behaviour.
What a miserable experience.. FFS, in this day and age, and what LR charges for its services, this stuff should just work.. or am I just a naiive old git..?

Haven't even had the courage to take the FF on a longish run to do the navi update in car.. MY17 VSE FF Corris

Post #635392 24th Jun 2022 6:37pm
Gremlin500

@Swasher,

The MD (Stratstone Durham) never even called me back to arrange a "Service Appointment".

So I've paid £180 for a useless product, will not install no matter what, I've tried everything.

I note we have the same year & model.

Think I might contact my credit card company and request a 'chargeback".

Censored Censored Censored “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #635394 24th Jun 2022 6:46pm
Gremlin500

@ABAB:

An update of sorts Sad

Tried calling the Dealer a few times, no answer so eventually went round there (only 10mins drive).
Spoke to Service manager after being told Customer Experience couldn't help.
Since the 5y.o. car is no longer under LR Warranty, they would have to charge at least one hour at LRD prices to look at it.
So I said ummmm, so we paid £180 for 3yrs "updates" and can't get ANY unless we pay another £150 EACH TIME we want a (monthly?) update? They were sympathetic and there followed a discussion, "have you tried this & that, etc., to which all the answers were yes, so got no further.
I got back home and wrote a rather lengthy & detailed explanation to LRadvice, and am promised a response "within 48 hours" from yesterday, so hopefully that'll be Tuesday in LR-speak.

I'll update on here as soon as I get said response.

I do have a comprehensive 3rd party warranty which covers this sort of thing (I hope!) but I see this as faulty software, so distance selling rules should apply surely?

My slant was "can you either help me out here, or give me a refund?" Confused “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #635861 1st Jul 2022 7:11pm
Gremlin500

OK, finally success, after about 20 attempts, I kid you not.

I tried another download using my wifes iMac on a Gigabit (wired) connection to FTTP, a more recent file, which took less than an hour to download onto the same Sandisk Ultra Flare 64Gb stick with the old map file still on it.
Then started the car, waited a few mins, inserted the stick, folled the onscreen instructions, and went for a drive.
15 mins or so later, -all done!

So Land Rover: same car, same stick, same format = Dodgy File! It was the only difference!

Let’s recap here: the previous map update file, I saved onto two different USB sticks, via 2 differents downloads, on 2 differents PC’s ( One Windows, one Mac).

Seems to me, the huge map files are very prone to getting corrupted during download, especially if wi-fi is used, or you have a slow connection. Basically, the longer it takes, the more chance of a f*ck-up, and corrupt data. The bit-count may be correct even, and be recognised as a legitimate update, but then fails when the data cannot be read correctly.

So, no point banging on with your same-old download, always try a fresh download for each subsequent attempt.

What a bloody faff! Censored Censored Censored

I hope Here don’t write any coding for the Military, wars will be lost! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I ‘m really looking forward to our next update, NOT.

MY ADVICE IS DON’T EVEN BOTHER WITH THIS SECOND-RATE OVER-PRICED SUPPORTLESS SOFTWARE “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #636629 10th Jul 2022 11:29pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

I prefer a proper map anyway…..

Post #636632 11th Jul 2022 6:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>