Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Solarshield Windscreen Replacement, Sparkling Filament Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba
Solarshield Windscreen Replacement, Sparkling Filament Issue

Regrettably, the original windscreen on my 2007MY FFRR was recently replaced by Autoglass.

The first replacement they fitted around 3 weeks ago which was a Pilkington screen (I was happy with this brand, same as original but without Land Rover on it), unfortunately though, it had a couple of scratches on it. So, they've now replaced that with something called a Solarshield Shaterprufe (not a typo) windscreen - Never heard of this company.

So, this morning I'm taking some stuff to the tip and the sun is low in the sky, it looks like there's lots of shiny dots all over the windscreen, upon closer inspection turns out it's the filament sparkling throughout the screen - Really distracting.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I've had this car for 9 years now, and I never noticed this issue with the last screen.

Any advice or shared experiences on this topic would be appreciated.

Post #643860 25th Sep 2022 8:09am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

on my L405 i get to see the heating filament ,especially when the sun is shining on it at certain angles.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #643884 25th Sep 2022 10:50am
aja500

Thanks for your reply Stan - Yes, I agree it can sometimes be seen as a very fine thin thread, but this new screen is causing it to appear almost like glitter across the whole screen. It's very distracting.

I've had L322's for the last 15 years, and never noticed this before. Apparently this brand Solarshield manufacture in Asia, and I see online that others have complained about quality issues in other vehicle types.

Post #643886 25th Sep 2022 11:10am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i'd ask for a pilkington replacement as this screen might be even worse at night with oncoming headlights causing the same problem..

3rd time lucky? Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #643892 25th Sep 2022 12:16pm
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Spoke to a windscreen fitter when my other half's Audi screen was being replaced.

Found out he was bringing something made my Nord Glass (new Polish company that only started making Audi screens in the last few months) and not OEM/Pilkington. When I cancelled the appointment so we could push the insurance for OEM, he genuinely thanked me and said whilst he is not allowed to openly have an opinion as everything is being pushed for cost reasons, he wished more customers would reject these cheap inferior screens. He said he had no end of problems installing them, or having to replace them repeatedly due to defects and design issues.

I had a similar issue years ago with an old BMW, I made Autoglass replace the screen 3 times due to weird ripples in the glass. In the end they installed OEM and it was perfect, but they had to destroy 2 of the crap ones before accepted to cover it. Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #643893 25th Sep 2022 12:24pm
aja500

That's a good point Stan, thank you for highlighting that - I think it probably would be worse with oncoming headlights shining on it.

It seems to be the opposite side to where you're sitting that is worse effected. It looks like either glitter or dust particles on the windscreen.

Thanks also Flashman, that's interesting what you say - Seems they'll try and fit an inferior screen if they think they can get away with it and save a few quid.

I know it's a 15 year old car, but it's one I'm very attached to - I continue to spend an awful lot of money maintaining it, so I don't expect the insurers to stick an inferior budget screen in.

I spoke with someone at Autoglass this afternoon, the lady said she'd refer it to their warranties department to get it corrected, so hopefully it won't be an issue (she didn't seem particularly surprised!!) - I certainly won't let it rest until it gets switched.

Post #643942 25th Sep 2022 6:31pm
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

The fitter told me that if you moan to the insurance company enough they will usually give in and go with the OEM, I guess if you tell them that you have always had issues with non OEM screens and had them changed multiple times, they might give in quicker.

Good luck! Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #643997 26th Sep 2022 12:05pm
aja500

Thanks Flashman Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #644042 26th Sep 2022 6:23pm
SamThomas

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

The last screen I had fitted was OEM - I went to a small indy & paid the difference between what the insurance company would have paid that well known (& IMHO having had numerous issues in the past with them, like so many others on here).

The indy was faultless (used them before - it's a father/son business) & a ten minute bus ride home - the alternative a 20 mile/30 minute driver away.

Post #644098 27th Sep 2022 10:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1