Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > All seasons vs dedicated summer and winter tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
NDT

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black
All seasons vs dedicated summer and winter tyres

I'm no stranger to winter tyres as I've run them on the family car for years (a 335d so it's got plenty of grunt and needs decent rubber).
I'm not clear on whether I'd get much benefit over an all season tyre on the L322.
Anyone got any real world experience?
I drive fairly enthusiastically and want decent handling (and safety) year round.

Post #644689 3rd Oct 2022 9:12pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

I had an L322 with 20 summer tyres, and 18” winters. In the wet, the winters were markedly better. In the snow and ice, they were waaay better in terms of grip. Whether all seasons would close to the wet performance of the winters, not 100% sure.

Do you think you’ll be driving on iced up surfaces much / regularly? If yes, then the winters are worth it. Otherwise, all seasons would be fine.

The winters on dry roads did reach their limit earlier that a non-winter tyre. Wasn’t so much as complete breaking of traction from the surface, but more a case of less biting in and as a result, slight sliding outwards could be felt when reaching the limit.

But lets be honest here, enthusiastic driving in poor conditions is going to break traction … which in an L322 can be hard to tame in sometimes. Even in careful driving on snow and ice a few years back, whilst I could accelerate forward without much fuss, slowing and stopping felt a million miles worse. V8 or else ...

Post #644690 3rd Oct 2022 9:33pm
jagracer

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

It might not help your decision, but I have run both on a Discovery 2 TD5 over a fifteen year period, and found no difference on wet or snow, but on reflection, both types had absolutely no grip at all on well packed snow, and even less on smooth ice. Michelin Syncro were the worst of all. I have Goodyear wrangler Duratech on my FF, and they are not bad apart from a bit noisy. Its a heavy vehicle, and Autocar tyre testing is on much lighter vehicles to use as a guideline. All terrains with studs is best on snow and ice, but not legal here in the winter as far as I know.

Post #644692 3rd Oct 2022 9:35pm
Martin2

England 

I’ve run separate summer/winter tyres for a number of years and still do on my wife’s car. I run the AS tyres all year round on the RR, started with Verde’s and have switched to Zero’s this year. They are a long way from a performance tyre, but very good in wet weather and surprisingly good in snow. I’m happy running them all year round. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #644709 4th Oct 2022 6:54am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

All season also means the compound works better when the road temperature drops below 7deg C so arguably they are ideal for uk conditions. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #644712 4th Oct 2022 7:38am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I run dedicated summer & winter tyres - but I live in a ski resort Cool

In the UK, unless I was in the highlands, then I'd most likely go with all seasons these days, on a FFRR anyway.

Post #644714 4th Oct 2022 9:25am
LT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

I run Michelin Cross Climate tyres on two of my vehicles (not LR’s) inc. their SUV version.

If you don’t need more serious off-road ability, they’d be perfect all year round on a FFRR.

Post #644721 4th Oct 2022 10:15am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

if you have the funds and the storage area then get both winter and all season tyres/wheels.

if not then dont bother with winters unless you are planning to visit the alps or Alister in the pyrenees..

i drove from birmingham to swindon during one of the worst snow storms we've had recently and that was on normal road tyres...whereas cars were stuck on the side of the road ,i had no problems ... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #644726 4th Oct 2022 11:24am
Martin2

England 

I have switched to CrossClimates on my wife’s car as I think All Season tyres are better suited to the UK winters, when it can be below freezing one day and double figures C a week later. We had a decent amount of snow the first winter I got this car and I sought out some deep stuff as well as compacted frozen snow and it performed very well, it felt unstoppable when set to snow mode with low traction launch activated. I really wouldn’t bother with winters in the UK on a RR.

MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid

Post #644731 4th Oct 2022 12:30pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I run winter and summers because winters are best in winter and summers are best in summer - goodyear ultra grip winters and Michelin pilot sport summers both brilliant tyres - an all season tyre will be good for standard driving but if you push on I always think it is best to have the best you can.
Lots of people think a tyre is good if you can get going in winter but look at the stopping ability its much more important in my opinion just my thoughts

Post #644879 6th Oct 2022 4:51am
Martin2

England 

Braking is definitely more important, but if you look at the tyre reviews, decent AS tyres are very close to winters in the snow and better when it’s cold and wet, which is what we get most of the time in a UK winter!

I think the best combination for the UK is quality summers and a good AS tyre for the winter months, which is what I now run on my wife’s Golf R (PS4S and CrossClimate+). But the RR has been fine in the summer on the Scorpion Zeros, a UHP tyre would be a bit of a waste.

This review compares a good winter tyre with a range of ALl Seasons.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-T...e-Test.htm MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid

Post #644881 6th Oct 2022 6:47am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

If I lived in Scotland I'd think about 2 sets for sure. For southern UK where snow is rare all season tyres make more sense. Even summer tyres all year make sense. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #644952 6th Oct 2022 7:35pm
pcourtney

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Sumatra Black

the Pirelli Scorpion Zeros on mine are jolly good AS tyres, even Harry ( Harrys Garage ) really rates them as well Thumbs Up

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/ca...all-season

NB I used to do the Summer tyres / Winter Tyres rotation thing, but now I prefer to stay at home when there are miles of sheet ice on the roads and other days 6ft of snow outside

Post #644954 6th Oct 2022 7:51pm
NDT

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I've been offered a set of 21" discovery wheels with 275/45 Scorpion Verde all seasons on.
Seriously tempted as it probably gives me more grip in the summer, better wet grip all the time and decent performance over the winter.

Post #645423 12th Oct 2022 10:53am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

go for it...they'll do you fine.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #645426 12th Oct 2022 11:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>