Home > General (L460 2022) > Coolant
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Christonabike

United Kingdom 
Coolant

My L460 is my first RR.

We had a short visit to the dealership last week after I’d noticed the coolant level had dropped. By approximately 1.5 litres. Dealership found no leaks nor any issues.

Given I have driven almost 13000 miles, is this something previous variants of RR’s are known for?

Seems odd.

Post #644795 4th Oct 2022 10:22pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

No loss on my 4.4 v8 so does seem strange

Post #644796 4th Oct 2022 10:24pm
Christonabike

United Kingdom 

Thank you.

A car without a leak shouldn’t use coolant. My only possible explanation would be the car was used during an exceptionally hot S. France summer. So maybe that?

Post #644799 4th Oct 2022 10:34pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

All vehicles 'use' coolant to some degree - that's why it's topped up at service.
The reason they 'use' coolant is due to the variable porosity of CGI castings - it's not a defect as such, more a 'feature', and one that crosses many marques, the trick is to ensure the max to min level is wide enough to allow for coolant consumption between services without tripping the level sensor.

Top it up, if it brings on the level warning within the service interval, then you've got a problem. If not, it's 'normal'.

Post #644801 4th Oct 2022 11:06pm
RDR

United Kingdom 

1.5 litres seems quite a bit I have had a new landrover use a bit but not that much. It was definitely at the correct level on delivery? MY23 PHEV HSE
MY19 Disco 5 HSE - gone
My16 Disco 4 HSE LUXURY - gone
My12 Disco 4 HSE - gone
MY05 Disco 3 S - gone but not forgotten

Post #644809 5th Oct 2022 7:48am
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Can you smell that distinctive sweet smell of coolant under the engine bay after a run? Carpets damp? Problem is that the sound absorbing foam under the carpet tends to soak up any coolant.

Sorry, but 1.5 litres does sound quite a bit, it's not the 1.5 litres every 900 miles my L405 4.4 was using. Coolant leaks are notoriously difficult to fault find and LR's dealer procedure doesn't lend itself to tracing leaks.

Time is money for the dealer, so at best they take the car for a short run and then pressure test it which unless a hose has gone or something pretty severe, its unlikely anything will show up.

Post #644812 5th Oct 2022 8:55am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Both my 322s (4.4 BMW petrol and 4.4TDV8) lost coolant.

The petrol one had a leaking radiator which was replaced. When it was much older (9 yrs, 90,000 miles) it started blowing coolant out of the back of the engine. In each case one could see where the coolant was going (drips on ground, blue crystals on engine).

The diesel showed a low coolant warning one holiday, I topped it up and monitored it, and when home again put it on the high suspension setting and slid underneath with a head torch to see if I could find any sign of leakage. I couldn't, and the coolant level did not drop significantly again while I retained that car.

My experience with motorcycles is that (a) they sometimes come from the factory with lowish coolant so if the level drops below the minimum it has not in fact used as much as if the level had been at the optimum level to start with; and (b) they do lose some coolant in hot weather, especially if driven for long periods at a time and at higher engine loads. Those effects might be relevant to your car too.

If I were you I'd get under the car with a head torch and see if there is any sign of leakage. You could also look around the engine bay for evidence of dried coolant, and in the oil filler cap to check it is clean with no sign of emulsion. If none, I'd monitor coolant level and see if there is any noticeable loss, it may well be nothing sinister. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #644820 5th Oct 2022 11:31am
Christonabike

United Kingdom 

That's all been done and there's nothing telltale that would indicate a leak.

Im inclined to think it did in fact come from the factory closer to the minimum fill level. 1.5 litres, seems a lot, though it was just enough to take it from ever so slightly below the minimum fill line up to the maximum fill line. So not as much as it seems.

It'll be due its first service (20,000 miles) by January 2023 at this rate so will take a view on it from there.

Post #644859 5th Oct 2022 7:29pm
jackwaite1402

United Kingdom 

Hi Christonabike,

Not an L460 owner but currently have an MY23 Defender 110 and waiting imminent delivery of the new P440e autobiography Sport. However I do have a few contacts who’ve made the move over to L460 platform. Everyone I know with a petrol be it P400 or P530 are experiencing the same issue. The one with the 3.0 petrol is at a point now where the car is emptying down to “low” level weekly and the V8 fortnightly. It seems this is going to become a huge can of worms with the new L460’s as now starting to hear of this from lots of different sources. Which engine is yours out of interest?

Post #644957 6th Oct 2022 8:02pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

And yet I have a few contacts 'on the floor' in JLR workshops who say your contacts huge issue, isn't...

Post #644958 6th Oct 2022 8:10pm
Christonabike

United Kingdom 

jackwaite1402 wrote:
Hi Christonabike,

Not an L460 owner but currently have an MY23 Defender 110 and waiting imminent delivery of the new P440e autobiography Sport. However I do have a few contacts who’ve made the move over to L460 platform. Everyone I know with a petrol be it P400 or P530 are experiencing the same issue. The one with the 3.0 petrol is at a point now where the car is emptying down to “low” level weekly and the V8 fortnightly. It seems this is going to become a huge can of worms with the new L460’s as now starting to hear of this from lots of different sources. Which engine is yours out of interest?

It’s a D350 Jack. Looking good since it was topped up but will keep an eye on it. Interesting to hear, thank you.

Post #644967 6th Oct 2022 9:01pm
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba

To be fair, Jack's sources may be completely wrong....... However, they may also turn out to be absolutely correct!

The info provided by Phoenix's contacts could also go either way.

Let's not forget, there's a massive number of people working at JLR, so the opinion of a few, may not necessarily be accurate.

I think it's always worth considering all the information which is being shared and no doubt time will tell.

Post #645037 7th Oct 2022 9:58pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

In answer to your question, Ive only had a small reduction and that was over 21000 miles and even then it was a small water bottle amount so Id say something is very adrift at 13k! all smug in my new plug!

2021 Westminster Black D300
2013 Vogue SE - gone
Some Porsche Cayenne guff pretending to be a 4x4!!
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #645445 12th Oct 2022 3:20pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

I would have thought that a low coolant level would have been picked up on the PDI by the dealer. Having been through a similar issue and passed from pillar to post, I hope its not an issue for C'bike. Niggly issues spoil the enjoyment of what is otherwise a great car.

Post #645450 12th Oct 2022 4:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1