Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Could an overheated engine damage the transmission?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
beeza

England 2010 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Java Black
Could an overheated engine damage the transmission?

Long story short, the head gasket went on my 5.0 supercharged and it overheated. The plastic coolant pipe that connects both cylinder heads failed, lost the coolant resulting in subsequent overheating and head gasket failure.

I had the engine rebuilt. Both heads and block skimmed, and whilst at it replaced the timing chain gear, all front end pulleys, water pump and supercharger snout with the upgraded solid coupler. Considering it's quite low milage, I thought it would be worth doing it rather than a second hand engine. And all the known issues for this engine being addressed should stand me in good stead for a while.

However, after the rebuild driving it back from the shop, it developed a gearbox fault. At idle in D the idle would hunt. At traffic lights it wouldn't drive forward until the revs exceeded 3000 rpm and eventually it wouldn't go into reverse.

I didn't get a chance to pull any codes off it, but I did go to a local shop to check the fluid level, just in case it was missing some. The oil was black. But I only did the transmission service recently with genuine ZF Lifeguard 6 and a new filter and seals. I sent it back to the shop that did the engine rebuild on a recovery truck.

Before the engine failed, there were no transmission faults whatsoever. I'm waiting for a report from the shop, but have no idea what could have caused this fault. I'm wondering what responsibility the garage will assume.

Any ideas? I'm already into a lot of $$$$ for the engine. If the transmission has failed as well, I'm well beyond the economic value of the car. 2010 L322 5.0l Supercharged

2008 L322 Vogue 3.6 VDV8 (The wife's)

Post #646343 24th Oct 2022 7:48am
beeza

A follow up. The shop that did the engine rebuild dropped the transmission oil pan and sent me these photos. He says it looks like the filter element has disintegrated and contaminated the transmission components.

I replaced this filter in February. I bought it off eBay.

has anyone ever heard of these filters disintegrating?

Photos show the debris blocking the oil tube and another one after it was removed.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2010 L322 5.0l Supercharged

Post #646567 26th Oct 2022 1:00am
beeza

I sent a message to the filter supplier on eBay asking them how many they have sold and if they've had any quality control issues.

They were very quick to respond and told me that they've sold 703 filters this year with a 0.995% claim rate for leakage. They even offered a refund despite the fact that I purchased it in Feb.

I'm getting a feeling that the shop is not being totally honest and blaming a failed filter element (which I've never heard of) rather than one of their mechanics that may have inadvertently left a rag in the disconnected hoses for the oil cooler.

Could this engine be removed without disconnecting the oil cooler hoses? They are claiming that they didn't touch or disturb any of the transmission when they did the engine work. 2010 L322 5.0l Supercharged

Post #646568 26th Oct 2022 3:48am
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

Was the engine definitely removed from the car for the engine work to be done? Cylinder heads and all of the work you've mentioned can be done with the engine in the car.

The gearbox oil cooler is mounted on the front of the car on the plastic fan shroud so if the engine was removed, they might have removed this to avoid damaging it and to give them more space.

I wonder if they've forgotten to top the gearbox back up if that's the case. Might be worth asking them how much oil came out of the gearbox when it was drained?

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #646574 26th Oct 2022 9:51am
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Sounds like the answer is a megaflush of the gearbox and you should be back to normal.

I haven't seen anyone report a disintegrated gearbox sump filter.

The other thing that came to mind is if the driveshaft isn't seated correctly - again, if they removed the engine, they'd have disturbed the driveshafts. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #646577 26th Oct 2022 10:15am
beeza

dhallworth wrote:
Was the engine definitely removed from the car for the engine work to be done? Cylinder heads and all of the work you've mentioned can be done with the engine in the car.

The gearbox oil cooler is mounted on the front of the car on the plastic fan shroud so if the engine was removed, they might have removed this to avoid damaging it and to give them more space.

I wonder if they've forgotten to top the gearbox back up if that's the case. Might be worth asking them how much oil came out of the gearbox when it was drained?

David.

Yes, the engine definitely came out. They sent the block with the heads to the machine shop. The block was ok, but both heads needed a fine skim as they were warped. 2010 L322 5.0l Supercharged

Post #646582 26th Oct 2022 12:07pm
beeza

Well that's left a sour taste in my mouth. Unfortunately I'm away from home and out of the country and the mechanic has informed me the best course of action is to replace the whole transmission. He replaced the filter, flushed and service with fresh oil, nil fix. I've just ordered a used one from a 90k miles car in Florida. Plus the headache and extra shipping costs to send it to the Dom Rep.

Ouch! 2010 L322 5.0l Supercharged

Post #647029 1st Nov 2022 3:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1