Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > L322 2004 Td6 RR Vogue - Intermittent 'Fuel System Error' me
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gary Williams

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue
L322 2004 Td6 RR Vogue - Intermittent 'Fuel System Error' me

L322 2004 Td6 RR Vogue - Intermittent 'Fuel System Error' message.

Happily driving my L322 when the 'Fuel System Error' message displayed and the engine just died. Managed to steer off the road and called the AA. At this point, the engine cranked fast but did not start. The AA mechanic arrived and removed part of the air input plastic pipework and squirted 'EasyStart' into the air intake whilst I cranked the engine on full throttle. It started! He thought that air had got into the system.

My local garage found a pinhole in the fuel pipe so replaced it and the two rubber pipes at each end. Today, it failed again. My son disconnected the fuel filter output pipe and got a small quantity of air out before diesel started to run. I cranked the enging and got a nice jet of diesel. Reconnected the pipe, would not start. Used the EasyStart and off she went. Got home OK.

Tomorrow I will check the ODB2 for any useful fault codes. (No, didn't get any fault codes)

Now for the big question - what to do/check now?

Kind Regards

Gary

Post #647067 1st Nov 2022 3:23pm
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

How much fuel is there in the tank? If under 1/2 tank, then it is possible that the In-Tank Fuel Pump is faulty, causing the engine to die. Is the error message on the dash coming up with 'FUEL INJECT SYSTEM' fault, if so then most likely the In-Tank Pump. Another possibility is the LP Diesel Pump underneath the car is faulty. There's some threads on the forum about this type of problem, so do a search and it may give you some additional pointers.

Post #647086 1st Nov 2022 7:13pm
Gary Williams

Thanks Discotigger. I'll check the tank tomorrow. The AA mechanic thought that air had got into the system, so I'll check under the car, if I can find my ramps!

Cheers

Gary

Post #647108 1st Nov 2022 11:27pm
Discofish

England 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Oslo Blue

might be worth having a look at the sensor on the end of the high-pressure fuel rail, mine had a pin hole which caused very similar issues (you may have to remove the inlet manifold to get a good look though)

also check the electrical connection whilst you're at it again mine was a tad loose

Post #647146 2nd Nov 2022 5:56pm
Gary Williams

Hi All,

Thanks for your previous advice. I have had the pipes checked (twice) and had a couple of suspect hoses replaced. She still failed. Decided to start at the front and work towards the back. Removed the HP pump and pressure regulator. Tested the pressure regulator. It failed to shut off completely so replaced it.

Drove happily for 400 miles, then up came this fault again on Christmas Day! Fortunately, a quick squirt of EasyStart in the air intake and off she went again.

I checked with my generic ODB2 code reader. No faults registered. I'm going to invest in a Gap Diagnostics IIDTool (if the experts replying to my previous post still recommend this one). Hopefully I will then be able to home in on the fault.

Should the Engine Warning Light display along with the status bar message @Fuel System Error'?

Regards

Gary

Post #651805 28th Dec 2022 4:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1