Home > Wheels & Tyres > Driving to Germany - winter tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
nickt68

2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Driving to Germany - winter tyres

Hi all,
Got a trip to Germany planned at the end of the month and I'm hoping that my Pirelli Scorpion all season tyres would qualify as winter tyres if necessary? Seems a little subjective from the quick flit I've had on the internet about driving in Germany - think that winter tyres are only legally required in snow and ice (which is borderline at the end of November)

Post #647675 8th Nov 2022 2:30pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

a winter tyre needs to have ''M+S'' and this symbol on the side,

interesting fact site here,
https://www.eurocampings.co.uk/blog/listin...many-when/ ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #647676 8th Nov 2022 2:35pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

The last time I drove to Germany was 2015 AFAIK I think their rules are still the same for winter tyres -
The Germans call it the Oktober to Ostern rule. October to easter, so you will need the winter tyres with the symbol or M and S lettering.

Other requirements are for such things as a first aid kit ( all items have to be within their 'Use by date' )

The one that catches some people out are emissions stickers to allow you to travel into various cities and / or zones these are widely available from places such as car garages, tyre / exhaust centres. ( 2015 about 7 Euros )To obtain one of these you need all your car documentation, V5, MOT and Insurance cert, which you are required to carry with the vehicle anyway.

Hope the trip goes well.

PS - It is also best to check the regulations for whichever country you will be driving through to get there, I was pulled for a routine check for documentation, Hi viz jacket / tabbard - warning triangle - first aid kit etc when driving through Holland, I was going a bit too fast Whistle but they just rapped by knuckles as I was courteous with them and had all the gear in the car.

Post #647686 8th Nov 2022 5:07pm
nickt68

Great, thanks both - only had chance to have a quick look at the tyres and have seen m&s letters but didn’t see symbol that Stan mentioned. Thanks for the sticker info Merchy - do I buy those in Germany or over here?

Post #647688 8th Nov 2022 5:29pm
Merchy

Back when I was there it appeared that you had to buy locally but I just came across this - see below

https://www.google.com/url?esrc=s&q=&a...VVpgDZNpT6

If you do not have time to get one in advance, then they are available at most places, I got mine at a tyre / exhaust shop, took the documents in and it took less than 5 minutes to do.

Looking at the info, you will probably get the green sticker, so you will not have any problems, price has gone up, but still quite cheap.

I was stopped entering one city because I did not have the sticker, BUT I had EVERYTHING else and being courteous and trying to talk only in Deutsche got me some brownie points and they let me off, without the, then 90 Euro fine, they also thought that touring Germany in February in Nissan Navara Outlaw truck was quite interesting Very Happy

Last edited by Merchy on 8th Nov 2022 6:06pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #647692 8th Nov 2022 5:58pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

are you visiting the xmas markets Nick? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #647693 8th Nov 2022 6:01pm
Merchy

Stan is spot on, they are superb, you have to try the Gluehwein, ended up with more than one hangover Whistle
If you have time and you are anywhere near Stuttgart, and have time you HAVE to go to the Sinsheim Teknic museum and the sister museum at Speyer Thumbs Up plus the Porsche place at Stuttgart.

Post #647694 8th Nov 2022 6:18pm
nickt68

Thank you again Merchy, looks like due to Brexit they won’t post to the Uk anymore but could send to the hotel we are staying at there, I think.
Stan, we are going to Stuttgart - my plan to visit the Porsche and Mercedes museums but will look up your recommendations Merchy, the carrot for my wife was the Christmas market - sounds like that now may not be the hardship I was expecting 😀🍺🍻🍾

Post #647699 8th Nov 2022 6:36pm
Merchy

So you will be on vacation then Thumbs Up The Porsche museum is amazing, and as for the others check out the websites, you will definitely want to go there, The Sinsheim has a concorde AND the Russian Tupolev 'Concordski' that you can venture inside. Also if SIWMBO will agree, there is a lovely small Mercedes museum in Mannheim, it is in the original first small Mercedes factory when Benz started out building vehicles, with everything from a horse carriage fitted with an engine to an F1 car. I am sure that you and the Boss will have an amazing time.

Post #647703 8th Nov 2022 6:46pm
Martin2

England 

Sounds like a great trip.

My understanding is you need the snowflake symbol now (wasn’t always the case), but if the tyres were manufactured before January 2018 then you’re Ok. I’d have proper winter tyres on the car to be on the safe side. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #647704 8th Nov 2022 6:50pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

yes Stuttgart is lovely Nick...nearly got sideswiped by a tram when turning left..

the tram had to slam its brakes on..lucky..

cologne has about 5/6 seperate markets which are really good as is the lindt chocolate outlet..

enjoy your trip .. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #647705 8th Nov 2022 7:10pm
rainking

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

In regards the 'Umwelt Plakette' We've used this link to buy them for all our vehicles in the past...

https://www.berlin.de/labo/mobilitaet/kfz-...595.en.php

Takes around a week or so to arrive... (we last bought one earlier this year for the L405)

We love Köln, the market by the cathedral is great, and the food and beer at 'Gaffel am Dom' is amazing Very Happy We'll be going back over in December.

Sinsheim is definitely worth a vist, as is Speyer Very Happy

We've also done Porsche and Mercedes museums too... well worth a look around. Andrew.

Post #647749 9th Nov 2022 9:28am
nickt68

Thank you for all the recommendations, the Mercedes museum was on my list but the other two look pretty interesting too. Sounds like we are going to have a busy (alcohol fueled!) few days! The weather forecast there looks like it will be similar to here - 10deg and overcast so from what I've read there won't be a requirement for winter tyres. Need to check mine properly but I didn't notice the 'snow' symbol on them, just M & S. If they are old enough, looks like that would be fine anyway even if it snows

Post #647752 9th Nov 2022 12:30pm
elsterracer

Germany 2018 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

Hello from Heilbronn, 50km north of Stuttgart.
The actual rule is: Winter tires are obliged dependant on the situation.
At any time (all 12 months) you are allowed to drive with Summer tires. BUT if the consitions are snow, wet snow (is 'mush of snow' the right translation?), ice, winter tires are mandatory. So you may park your car anywhere, but in these times you are not allowed to drive with Summer tires.
The fees are 60€ when driving in wrong conditions, 80€ if youre hampering someone. And case of an accident the insurance might not pay!

What is a winter tire? As we Germans cannot do it simple, it is like that:
a) symbol with snowflake and mountain
b) up to September 30, 2024 the "M+S" symbol for tires that were produced until the end of 2017

BTW: the tread depth must not be below 1,6mm (for any tire). In Austria the limit is 4mm for winter tires!

BTW: the winter tire issue does not apply to motorbikes.

Museums in Stuttgart:
(I once visited south of England and saw that the museums, castles, gardens etc. also offer attractions for kids - this is not so well done in Germany)
Mercedes Museum is a must. it is not only cars, but also German history. Reserve several hours for it. It's worth it.
Porsche is more or less just the cars. Imho they could enrich the museum largely by more stories(video, text pictures) for each of the cars. However it is worth a visit.
I also like the Staatsgalerie - the museum or modern art in Stuttgart; designed by James Stirling.

Have Fun
Martin

Post #649521 30th Nov 2022 9:20am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

thank you for the information Martin.. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #649530 30th Nov 2022 11:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>