Print this entire topic · 
NDT

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Think you mean JMC not me!
I’m green with envy too!!!

Post #650360 10th Dec 2022 11:15am
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Just to prove that I have nothing against Michelin Cross Climates, here I had a set fitted to the rally quattro at the start of the Monte Carlo Rally Heritage Run in John o'Groats a few years ago. Car was absolutely fine on the road with them.

Someone asked me to get a 'scantily dressed pit babe' photo at the start, but this was the best I could do in the wintery conditions!

Anyway, I still didn't like the Cross Climates on the Vogue. Wink The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #650367 10th Dec 2022 11:59am
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Whoops, you are correct, got the name wrong, Looks like JMC is also a qualified pilot as well as a rally driver Bow down Nice one JMC, it's great to see older competition cars being used like yours, instead of sitting in garages locked away Thumbs Up

Post #650386 10th Dec 2022 3:50pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I have the Cross Climates on my wife's Alfa and they are great had them on the Range rover and took them off after a few thousand miles have the Michelin pilot sport on for summer and the Goodyear Ultra Grip on as winters and they seem to do the job

Post #650397 10th Dec 2022 5:59pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Mine has Goodyear Duratrac 255/55R20 as winter tyres. They are LR homologated as "professional off road" but only rated to 99mph. They are a bit noisier, use more fuel and on has to drive to reflect the poorer braking distances and different handling. But they have served me well in wintry conditions and in field and farm track use. They don't have 3 peaks snowflake though. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #650491 11th Dec 2022 8:18pm
NDT

Philip wrote:
There are quite a few all-terrains with 3PMSF, but they’re going to be a compromise versus a proper winter tyre.

Yes, that's a fair point.
In reality the FF probably isn't going to go off road so I'd be best getting some proper road winters rather than ATs.

Post #651177 19th Dec 2022 8:51pm
NDT

IGP wrote:
Getting a set of Falken WILDPEAK A/T AT3WA fitted next week and they have the 3 peaks snowflake rating. I am fitting 255/55 R20's.

HTH

Ivan

Any feedback after a bit of use in the snow and ice?!

Post #651178 19th Dec 2022 8:52pm
cxdood

United States 2016 Range Rover HSE 3.0 SC V6 Santorini Black
Re: All terrain tyres / winter tyres

NDT wrote:
Quick question - are there any AT tyres which are also a winter tyre? Preferably with the 3 peaks snowflake.
Alternatively are any winter tyres vaguely good off road?

My thinking is I’d like winter tyres but I’d also like a set for the occasional bit of off-roading.

It sounds like you will drive on the road more often than off road. I would get a set of proper winter tyres. They will be better on ice and snow. Also winter tyre compound is soft in order to work well on ice and snow. Supposedly the 3 peak snowflake is not a guarantee that a tyre will be brilliant in the winter.

Myself I have a set of all seasons that I use for summer and a set of winter tyres for winter. The two sets get swapped twice a year around spring and autumn. I live in the mountains and it can get very warm and very cold depending on the seasons. I want good performance all year on different road conditions including fast high way driving in many different conditions. The reason for the all seasons is that I don't want to get caught on a mountain pass in the late spring or early autumn in a late/early snow storm with summer tires that would be terrible in snow and in the cold in general.

I also do occasional off roading. The all seasons were fine the times I was off road. I was never close to getting stuck. One time I was on a beach and saw a couple of other cars struggle to get back up from the beach. The Range Rover on the other hand did not break a sweat. It is very capable with the electronic systems, driving modes and diff and so on. I haven't been in deep mud, my tyres might struggle more compared to a mud tyre. Before getting off road tyres I would want to be in a situation first where I felt I was remotely close to getting stuck because of the current tyres I have.

My thinking is that like you, I drive on the road the most. That's what my tyre choices are based on. If I did more off roading than road driving I might get a set of dedicated all terrain tyres. But they would be worse on the road. Also I expect worse on ice and snow in general even off road. I don't go off road enough for that to make sense for me personally and I haven't had any issues with my road tyres so far.

Here is what I heard about winter tyres vs off road tyres: Winter tyres try to hold on to snow in sipes to get the snow in the tyres to make contact with the snow on the ground. Mud terrain tyres try to get rid of mud. They are opposites. There are other kinds of off road tyres than mud terrains and I don't know if they would be different, but the point is that all tyres have to make different compromises. My winter tyres gives me great confidence during winter, they work really well.

What makes sense to me is to think about the conditions you are going to be driving in the most and figure out what compromises makes sense for you. L405 2016 - Supercharged V6 petrol 380hp

Post #652403 3rd Jan 2023 8:24am
IGP

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Siberian Silver

NDT wrote:
IGP wrote:
Getting a set of Falken WILDPEAK A/T AT3WA fitted next week and they have the 3 peaks snowflake rating. I am fitting 255/55 R20's.

HTH

Ivan

Any feedback after a bit of use in the snow and ice?!

Unfortunately not had any snow or ice round here to try them out in yet. Will let you know if we get some. General view is that they are not any noisier than the Goodyear Eagles that were fitted and the ride does seem a bit softer but that may be just me.

Ivan 2013 Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Luxury

Post #652406 3rd Jan 2023 9:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12