Home > Spotted > Privacy ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Vogue

United Kingdom 
Privacy ??

Call me a misearble git Embarassed

but I would be extremely annoyed - bordering on absolutely furious if details of my vehicle, its registration number and its location were posted on an internet forum - especially giving the day / date and other details, i.e. pictures etc!

I feel its an intrusion of personal privacy and at the very least would want the registration number and any photographs of occupants obliterated! If I wanted to post pictures on the internet of my vehicle and registration details I could do this myself.

There are legitimate reasons why people may want to maintain their privacy, doesn't anybody else feel the same way?

Post #4574 6th Apr 2009 2:43pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

just seen this on the RRS / other forum :-

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic39.html

perhaps it could be made a sticky here too?

Post #4575 6th Apr 2009 2:49pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

And lots of forum members post pics of their cars with full numberplate showing and have their exact location defined in their profiles, which is clearly not a good move.

If this is in direct response to my Spotted thread then I understand and have deleted the piccy. I've not had time to edit the photo yet, but the location of the M1, J16 is not a precise one and not exactly where you'd find the owner's house. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #4576 6th Apr 2009 3:05pm
Larry

England 2006 Range Rover SE Td6 Java Black

Not wanting to start an argument, but can't see what the problem is. What's the difference between seeing the car on the road (ie. in PUBLIC) and having it on a PUBLIC forum. Maybe I'm missing something.

It might be courtesy to hide the number plate and occupants, but both were in full view on the road to thousands of people (unless you drive around with black tape over the number plate! Smile )

Post #4578 6th Apr 2009 3:32pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Yes Larry, but posting photographs on the internet, means it is there for an unlimited period and for unlimited people to see it and the information it contains. They can also be copied, edited, cut and pasted.

Each to their own, if people wish to post their Own pictures giving out such detail, then that is up to the individual. But as I said if somebody posted photographs of me or my vehicle or registration without my consent then I woulkd not be happy.

At the end of the day it should be up to the individual concerned and their personal choices. I know many people who would not be happy if people googled a registration number and it came up on an internet forum with a photo showing its location etc etc

Post #4580 6th Apr 2009 3:56pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Larry, the picture I posted didn't show any occupants or the car's location, it was the back end of a FF on the M1 as it passed me, you could almost make out the plate. I've deleted it for now.

I guess the point is, if there were certain unmentionable people looking to clone some Range Rovers, they could look on the forum for legit ones and get some plates made up. Or, they could try and find out where people lived and just nick them.

But you are also right, anyone can see your car at any time on the road, you have no control over that and anyone can take pictures from their car on a mobile phone for example. Shocked

I guess its just best practice not to give those types of people any sort of advantage whatsoever. Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #4581 6th Apr 2009 4:01pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Here's the edited pic:

Click image to enlarge
 Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #4583 6th Apr 2009 4:10pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Vogue wrote:

At the end of the day it should be up to the individual concerned and their personal choices.

Vogue, more often than not, the 'Spotted' posts are not of forum members, just random people out on the roads, so we can;t ask for any permissions though.

Apologies for heightening your blood pressure. I think its the first time I have posted a pic with a plate on it, and it shall certainly be the last.

Lets rest the matter here. Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #4584 6th Apr 2009 4:12pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Adam, just to be clear I wasn't specifically referring to your post, or your photograph, but referring in general to posts which could contain such personal information.

I am glad you understand though - especially considering that you block out your own numberplate Wink Laughing

Post #4585 6th Apr 2009 5:25pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

No Problem. Thumbs Up

In a similar vein though, did you see this thread? This sort of goes blatantly against Martin's guidelines (I think...)

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic7072.html Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #4587 6th Apr 2009 6:14pm
kin

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

RRUK wrote:

I guess the point is, if there were certain unmentionable people looking to clone some Range Rovers, they could look on the forum for legit ones and get some plates made up. Or, they could try and find out where people lived and just nick them.

..thats why we should all have fancy private plates, as the crooks would much less likely to duplicate private number plates Wink

Post #4589 6th Apr 2009 6:30pm
JOKER

Scotland 

That's a 6 pointer and fine Whistle plus admitting to it in print . Whistle bet it was a passenger from the back that took the picture. Thumbs Up

PS ..... It's not edited on my computer , click on it twice and you can pick out the reg of the car in front ......... Whistle

Thats how you dont see many Tonga's, Too scared to come out in case they get Photographed ........... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #4596 6th Apr 2009 9:59pm
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

For the record I don’t care about the reg showing makes no difference, if they are going to clone you they will, just make sure you have some unique identifiers on your car to attack the photo evidence.

Mines Tracked by me so I can prove exactly where it was at any time and the speed if required, also not to many RR’s have Winches & Roof Racks Whistle

Oh if they are wrong Especially with parking Tickets Charge them its great getting them to try and worm out
Thumbs Up

Post #4605 7th Apr 2009 7:45am
Larry

England 2006 Range Rover SE Td6 Java Black

Good point about the unique identifier Ken. I had a ticket come through for parking in a bus lane in Cheltenham. I phoned up to protest my innocence (had never been to Cheltenham) and they didn't believe me as the Reg and type of car was correct, until I noticed that they had the colour down as Green. My car was Red. The warden had written the reg down wrong!

A unique identifier would have to be as big as major mods or colour etc. to dispute any tickets I would imagine. Minor stuff (stickers in windows or even wheel type etc) that could have been easily changed since the event would be as good as useless.

Post #4608 7th Apr 2009 8:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1