Home > General > Purchasing from a dealer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Arch Stanton

England 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey
Purchasing from a dealer

Morning all,

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I have never bought from a dealer before (always private) and this will be my first RR.

I will be buying a FFRR in the new year and what I spend will be dependant upon a job offer I am waiting on. If the job comes off with a car allowance, I need to buy a motor probably no later than a 2019MY, what is the current scope for negotiations off the prices the MD list used cars at?

Are things like extra years warranty within scope for negotiation too? First time FFRR owner

Post #651104 19th Dec 2022 11:36am
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

In the current climate if you want a popular spec/colour etc. I think you've got no chance unless the car is overpriced and even then they seem to be moving.
The only way you'll get them to move on price is to show them that there is a cheaper identical one available - which is almost impossible.
I would be dubious of any stories you hear about people claiming to have saved thousands due to their brilliant negotiating skills, there'll always be a back story to it. It will likely have been overpriced, an awful colour, have a weird interior choice, oddball engine, poor spec etc. or they will have been shafted on their part Ex/finance rate etc.
Happy hunting

Post #651114 19th Dec 2022 1:38pm
Arch Stanton

thanks for that Cass, will I likely be successful with stuff like asking for an extra year on a warranty?

I have the option of either a cash buy or using their finance if that will allow them some wriggle room First time FFRR owner

Post #651123 19th Dec 2022 2:20pm
Martin2

England 

If you do get a better deal with finance, then I'd do that but pay it off ASAP, unless you can get a better return on your cash of course. I did that when I bought my wife's Golf R, there was an extra £1,500 deposit contribution, so we signed up for a PCP then paid it off in the first week for no penalty.

To give you an idea of value, an extra years warranty will be worth c£1,300. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #651125 19th Dec 2022 2:35pm
Arch Stanton

Cheers Martin, thats really helpful. I wasn't aware I could sign up to a finance agreement and any benefits that may bring and then pay it up almost immediately without penalty. First time FFRR owner

Post #651127 19th Dec 2022 2:45pm
Martin2

England 

Obviously worth checking the small print to make sure there aren’t early repayment charges, but that’s not the case ok any new car (appreciate you’re buying used but it should be the same) PCP I’ve seen or am aware of. Once the salesperson has signed you up and got their commission, they won’t care! MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #651160 19th Dec 2022 6:28pm
Stuart-

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Having looked at lots in recent months, and two at main dealers, one of which I bought, there seem to be fewer decent spec cars around than buyers, so we are in a seller's market.

As mentioned above, if you'll take an unpopular colour or spec, there's some chance. But if you want a popular colour/spec, you are not going to get far. And if you want 2019 or newer, most are with main dealers at that age. Its as they hit 4+ years old more are Pxd and they find their way into the general trade.

The warranties have value because you will use it, so they don't like giving those away either. 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography in black
2018 D300 SE Velar in champagne
Spiffing wheel centre caps available

Post #651163 19th Dec 2022 6:34pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

cass wrote:
In the current climate if you want a popular spec/colour etc. I think you've got no chance unless the car is overpriced and even then they seem to be moving.
The only way you'll get them to move on price is to show them that there is a cheaper identical one available - which is almost impossible.
I would be dubious of any stories you hear about people claiming to have saved thousands due to their brilliant negotiating skills, there'll always be a back story to it. It will likely have been overpriced, an awful colour, have a weird interior choice, oddball engine, poor spec etc. or they will have been shafted on their part Ex/finance rate etc.
Happy hunting

I completely agree.

There’s not many in the really good spec combos, and dealers are charging top rates. I viewed cars that had not been prepped, had paint scuffs, dirty interiors, panels coming loose etc and they still didn’t want to budge on price.

Find a good car at a good dealer, pay the going rate and don’t beat yourself about it. You won’t get loads of extras, you might get a few hundred off here or there but overall, they don’t give much away.

Once you’ve found the right car, you’ll be happier and worry less about whether you outwitted them. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #651165 19th Dec 2022 6:56pm
Arch Stanton

Thanks all, I don't mind paying a fair price but don't want to be taken for a ride if it was to be expected to haggle. I'll try the finance/warranty angle and hope for the best. I have some free time after Christmas so I may borrow my old fell's Honda Jazz mobile dog kennel and go look at a few and speak with some dealers.

I'm snookered by a car allowance policy that stipulates up to 6 years old so while I could get one four to five years old but I'd have to be thinking of moving it on in 12 months to remain within the scheme; not sure I can be bothered with that. So it seems the sweet spot for me is a 2019MY car, or go older and not go into the scheme (but that seems silly).

I may not get the job yet and that would make it really simple as I'd be going non franchised and an older car that I wouldn't really baulk at. First time FFRR owner

Post #651168 19th Dec 2022 7:06pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

RRUK wrote:
… and dealers are charging top rates. I viewed cars that had not been prepped, had paint scuffs, dirty interiors, panels coming loose etc and they still didn’t want to budge on price….

This is no new phenomenon with LR main dealers. When searching a for a Discovery 3, 16 years ago, most of the cars we viewed were in an awful state; and the same poor show applied when searching for our last 3 RRs from main dealers.

As mentioned, just got to keep looking…

Post #651169 19th Dec 2022 7:17pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

[quote="Arch Stanton"]Thanks all, I don't mind paying a fair price but don't want to be taken for a ride if it was to be expected to haggle. I'll try the finance/warranty angle and hope for the best. I have some free time after Christmas so I may borrow my old fell's Honda Jazz mobile dog kennel and go look at a few and speak with some dealers.

I'm snookered by a car allowance policy that stipulates up to 6 years old so while I could get one four to five years old but I'd have to be thinking of moving it on in 12 months to remain within the scheme; not sure I can be bothered with that. So it seems the sweet spot for me is a 2019MY car, or go older and not go into the scheme (but that seems silly).

I may not get the job yet and that would make it really simple as I'd be going non franchised and an older car that I wouldn't really baulk at.

I had a similar situation a good few years ago and bought the car and put a private plate on it within 6 months no one new how old it was

Post #651411 21st Dec 2022 10:50pm
Arch Stanton

Thanks Sandy, I had a further interview yesterday that was very promising and I'm due a phone call tomorrow too outline the package in more detail, I spoke to an insider today who told me they aren't too strict on the car allowance policy and there may be some wriggle room to let one slide a bit over a six year cut off, that really opens the door for me to go for the easiest facelift model to save cash or to the top of my budget for the right car.

Exciting times, my first fatty and first change of car in 15 years Smile First time FFRR owner

Post #651418 21st Dec 2022 11:52pm
Purso

United Kingdom 

Best of luck with the job, I have just bought 1 so similar boat to you. I had a friend who worked at hardwoods and I found a car 5k cheaper from another main dealer and they wouldn’t drop the price by £250 so it was crazy. I ended up buying else where who were fairer but main dealer had zero flex, I attempted to negotiate on 6-7 main dealer cars across different franchises and politely told to get lost. I have had success in previous years but not now.

Post #651530 23rd Dec 2022 12:10pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

I honesty don’t see why buying a car should involve negotiation at all in this day and age. It’s like something leftover from buying a horse…. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #651534 23rd Dec 2022 12:18pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Negotiations are always needed when a transaction is based on a perceived value, both by the seller and the buyer. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #651543 23rd Dec 2022 2:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>