Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > Battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bill

United Kingdom 
Battery

As per my previous thread had a total lock out of the car . Low /nil. Battery’s . I’m using the D300.

I’m confused by the dealers excuses.

How long/ mileage will it take for a car to recharge a battery from nothing? Running at normal speeds using some extra electrical aid such as seats and Aircon being used .

What constitutes a short trip? The engine gauge is warm after a mile or at most two.

Would you expect to put your car on charge every day, or on days when not using it.? So how long should a car sit there doing nothing … before there is a problem?? Never had an issue before, but as the dealer said , it’s a completely new car ! Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #651277 20th Dec 2022 6:56pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

That is really grim, maybe the worst of it being that one never knows whether the battery will be OK when one wants to use the car.

I have no L460 experience, but my quite new (under one year) last 322 twice flattened the battery completely due to software faults, the first time relating to the fuel burning heater and the second time to the central locking. Everything seemed to be working normally when the car was put away but when one tried to open the car it was impossible as the battery was flat. In each case LR Assist opened the car and started it (it took an absolute age the first time, LRA Discovery and booster pack together struggled to make any impact, the second time there was a VW van plus booster pack, LRA said they had moved to vans because they offered better jump start capacity...). I then had to drive to the dealer who checked what the problem was and also that the battery could still hold charge after being completely flattened. The drive is about 40 miles and LRA reckoned that would be enough to recharge the battery. The first time the battery needed to be replaced under warranty, the second time it was OK. Apparently the battery needs to be 100% charged (in my case overnight on a charger rather than just by driving) before it can be tested. Has the dealer run a diagnostic/software check and fully charged and checked the battery?

On "how long can they stand unused?" during the lockdown my L405 stood for several months and I used the trickle charger for one week at a time on my car an then the next week on my girlfriend's car and so on until lockdown was over. There were no battery problems. Some trackers can draw quite a bit of charge (my motorcycle did this) so that might be worth checking too.

Could your car have been used in a showroom or similarly to show features to prospective customers without being driven so that the battery was in poorer condition when you got it? Of course the battery could be defective too, it occasionally happens even to new ones.

Good luck with getting it sorted. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #651301 20th Dec 2022 9:12pm
MR GLOVER

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

just left mine 3wks started 1st time Thumbs Up only gets used on sundays aswell use my van all wk

Post #651310 20th Dec 2022 9:58pm
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba

Sorry to hear about your battery problem Bill.

My L405 is a December 21 car, so relatively new. I left it stood for 5 weeks in late October through to early December, no problems at all, started first time with no effort and no trickle charger had been used.

Post #651325 21st Dec 2022 1:21am
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I have a couple of non-JLR MHEV's that cost a fraction of a RR and they have a big 48V, I assume Lithium, battery in the boot. I've left them for months without problems. The MHEV RR has a similar 48V system.

A MHEV operates completely differently to having the 'old' 12V battery and charging it if required.

Sounds like the dealer doesn't have clue!

Can't find any info on the L406 MHEV set up but this is the Evoque MHEV set-up - note the removal of a standard starter motor for a regen starter generator.

The 48V lithium battery shouldn't suddenly lose charge unless there is a fault in the system. My minimal knowledge suggests that if the fault is in the lithium battery (which I doubt) then this could be a fire hazard.

MY23 D350 HSE
On my 7th RR plus various other JLR vehicles

Post #651359 21st Dec 2022 12:36pm
V8 Bob

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Ipanema Sand

Mate has a six month old Discovery 300d hybrid and is suffering the same issues. Says that it is a regular topic on D5 forum. He gets regular npmessages of low battery if he leaves it just a few days. Dealers can’t find anything wrong but say it is to do with the shysters being constantly connected to internet checking various systems onboard.

He got stuck on the island of Barra with a flat battery whilst camping and had to get LRA out !

Appears that the cars are just to clever and they don’t shut down when switched off or locked. 2012 tdv8 Westminster arrived Jan 19 gone Dec 23

200 TDi discovery bobtail gone
RR classic v8 bobtail gone
300 tdi Discovery 3 dr gone

Post #651368 21st Dec 2022 3:20pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Phil. wrote:
I have a couple of non-JLR MHEV's that cost a fraction of a RR and they have a big 48V, I assume Lithium, battery in the boot. I've left them for months without problems. The MHEV RR has a similar 48V system.

A MHEV operates completely differently to having the 'old' 12V battery and charging it if required.

Sounds like the dealer doesn't have clue!

Can't find any info on the L406 MHEV set up but this is the Evoque MHEV set-up - note the removal of a standard starter motor for a regen starter generator.

The 48V lithium battery shouldn't suddenly lose charge unless there is a fault in the system. My minimal knowledge suggests that if the fault is in the lithium battery (which I doubt) then this could be a fire hazard.

]

Thanks Phil ; that’s fascinating. To have a completely dead battery & locked out after a 60 plus 12 plus 12 mile run has to be a fault if the whole thing is started with lithium iron /mild hybrid. Cold that night , minus 7 . Wife made full use of the heated seat, but then that’s why it’s there,

Thanks everyone for their input. I need to understand what’s occurring

The young man…. ( being polite , which he wasn’t) suggested it was short journeys that has caused the battery to decline & I needed to put it on charge every evening. Hence my question, what’s a short journey? I’m guilty of some 1-3 mile journeys, but interspaced with 20- 40 mile runs, Short journeys are potentially a filter issue, surely not a battery matter. The car was in use every day the orevious week.

I do switch off the stop start when I remember: I can’t see that being a negative impact in the battery.

Any more info phil or others will be much appreciated. I’m no mechanic , so they tell me black is white, I’m unable to argue the facts.

The classic comment was

I have never had this trouble on the previous three FFRR , & I haven’t changed my driving style , nor charged a battery. reply…
Sir this is a completely new car! Not a great sales pitch. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #651417 21st Dec 2022 11:39pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Short journeys are a battery killer - but your description of your usage would at least maintain charge. Autostop is 'clever' enough not to kick in if the battery state of charge is below either 75% or 83% (TBH, I can't remember the JLR threshold, it's one of those) If autostop is functional during your journeys, then the battery SoC has to be OK, which means either there is a hell of a quiescent drain (something not shutting down in a timely manner) or the starter battery is defective.
Kick up a stink. None of the above is difficult to identify or solve, it's 'bread & butter' work for a diag tech., the age of the vehicle and the technology in it makes no difference to the diagnosis.

Oh, the snotty little oik - probably in sales by your description, ask him if you can speak to a grown-up, preferably in aftersales.

Post #651419 21st Dec 2022 11:53pm
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Bill, ask the dealer how to put a 48V battery on charge. I’d love to hear their response Smile

BTW getting anywhere near 48V or the lithium battery can be quite dangerous hence the colour of the associated leads. MY23 D350 HSE
On my 7th RR plus various other JLR vehicles

Post #651421 22nd Dec 2022 12:09am
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

The Lithium starter battery has it's own control electronics in the battery package, you can conect any old charger TBH, the battery package will protect itself. That doesn't seem to be the concern here though, and I doubt the hybrid battery is the issue either. If I was to make a guess based upon nothing, I'd say the DC-DC converter was the issue. Simple to test and diagnose - the technology isn't new even if the vehicle is.

Post #651422 22nd Dec 2022 12:18am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

It cannot possibly be the case that LR have designed a car to require daily charging, the dealer appears incompetent and to be fobbing you off.

What about calling LR Customer relations (0370 5000 500) and asking to speak to someone at the factory with knowledge of the car's systems? Or trying a different dealer? With one of my motorcycles the local dealer dismissed a dreadful vibration as "characteristic of the product" which I knew to be rubbish. I went to the leading BMW dealership (200 miles away) and they immediately agreed it wasn't right, then spent about a month liaising with BMW on, and then implementing, possible solutions. The LR strategy of having large group franchises that cover a large area is unhelpful from that perspective, but better to travel a bit than have a car that is inherently unreliable.

Good luck in getting it sorted and let us know how you get on. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #651444 22nd Dec 2022 1:00pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Thanks phoenix, phil CS

I’m going to run a while and see what happens.

Maybe it was a hangover from a flat battery on handover and hadn’t fully recovered.

If it happens again , it’s Houston we have a problem, time.

Many thanks for all your help Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #651607 24th Dec 2022 7:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1