Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > What would you spend £10k on?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

£10k for a late L322 is going to be a private sale I guess. If it's £10k you can afford to loose and it's not your only vehicle you need to rely on for work you may get lucky like Pcourtney or you may get one like mine that has cost Censored so far. I don't regret it as I'm still under my overall budget (which was generous) but if I did it again I'd have spent a lot more to get a better one simply to save the time and inconvenience it's been out of action for fixing things. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #652172 31st Dec 2022 2:16pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago. I bought a 4.4 TDV8, 2012 and it was an incredible amount of car for the money. The members on here advised me pretty much NOT to buy one but I did it anyway, just an itch that needed to be scratched.
They do have the ability to bleed your wallet dry on a daily basis but on the whole, it's a very nice place to be whilst travelling around. On mine I had the turbo drain mod done, I had to replace front suspension parts, 2 x air bags at the front and the propshaft. It had done 130,000 miles with full history when I bought it. Make sure you have a good look around any vehicle, everything working including all the gearbox modes, check for rust especially on front & rear subframes.

Good luck, enjoy. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #652173 31st Dec 2022 2:29pm
pcourtney

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Sumatra Black

phatvenny wrote:
All good tips so far - thank you for your input(s). I am tempted by a 2011 4.4 TDV8 that’s come up locally. Just over 100k miles so plenty of life in it yet (I hope).

what would be really good, if someone in Cornwall could let you borrow a GAP IID tool ( very good OBD reader ) , and you can scan the car before you buy it, that's what I did ( but I was already using an IID Tool for keeping on top of all the issues I had on my old 2004 L322 V8 BMW petrol engine )

fingers crossed someone on the forum may lend you one for a few months until you find your nice TDV8 4.4 Diesel

Post #652188 31st Dec 2022 5:27pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

I thought the GAP tool was locked to the VIN unless it's the mega expensive Pro one? BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #652189 31st Dec 2022 5:41pm
pcourtney

you can scan another car to see faults, but that's it, you just see all the faults - and you can then clear all the faults - go for a test drive and after 30 mins see what has come back, at least then you have some more info to go on before you buy

its bloody useful if you are buying a car from a private seller Smile

Post #652190 31st Dec 2022 5:44pm
JayGee

If you are dead set on buying an L322 you may as well buy a GAP tool now to use on vehicle inspections. You never loose money on these as they hold their value very well. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #652221 1st Jan 2023 11:15am
HS66

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

What would I spend £10k on?

Sensible answer- a Landcruiser.

If you really want an L322 though, get the latest 4.4 TDV8 with the best history you can get, best and most reliable engine and gearbox combination.

Post #652437 3rd Jan 2023 2:14pm
Skipper

United Kingdom 

JayGee wrote:
£10k for a late L322 is going to be a private sale I guess. If it's £10k you can afford to loose and it's not your only vehicle you need to rely on for work you may get lucky like Pcourtney or you may get one like mine that has cost Censored so far. I don't regret it as I'm still under my overall budget (which was generous) but if I did it again I'd have spent a lot more to get a better one simply to save the time and inconvenience it's been out of action for fixing things.

Sorry to jump in but I'm in a similar position and for me your suggestion is very sensible, would you go so far as to double the budget and look for a L405 instead?

Post #652454 3rd Jan 2023 5:35pm
JayGee

OP’s budget x3 for an L405 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #652455 3rd Jan 2023 5:39pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

phatvenny wrote:
All good tips so far - thank you for your input(s). I am tempted by a 2011 4.4 TDV8 that’s come up locally. Just over 100k miles so plenty of life in it yet (I hope).

Well over a year ago, I bought a relatively high miles 4.4 Tdv8, Westminster edition. At £8500, 200,000 miles, and full LR service history. I was lucky that it had had a few items like rear shocks, and all discs and pads recently done. I expected lots of things to need doing…. But it’s turned out to not be like that..It’s an absolute joy to drive, and have stuck nearly 10k more miles on it since. I had an older 4.4 petrol version, for 9 years previous….apart from a couple of recent things like the alternator giving up, which I also took trouble to do the belts and pulleys, and a new AC compressor at same time, the car has been cheap to own for this year. Only other issue was a misleading starter motor, and parking sensors not working. I wanted the specific spec with heated and cooled seats, which the vogue SE and Westminsters come with. So I was lucky, as over a year ago, prices for these were significantly higher as the lockdown was reopening.. take your time finding the exact spec, and enjoy the pinnacle of the l322 range. The engine and drive is amazing, with some decent economy that means you can drive it all day. -like 40mpg on a run. I average 32 on the dash. The vogue SE comes with those cooled seats, and super soft aniline leather seats, like the Autobiography. If you could find an autobiography on your budget it would be a steal, and worth a long journey… it’s possible to buy these cars privately in good order, and I find that parts prices are not crazy like some other makes. Also there’s good source second spares for some niggles etc.

Post #652512 4th Jan 2023 5:18pm
JayGee

40mpg on a run is incredible and would give you over 850 miles range on a tank. If mine did that I’d keep it. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #652520 4th Jan 2023 6:05pm
pcourtney

some of the Vogue spec cars ( does not have to always be SE or Westminster spec ) also have hot and cold seats, as I can confirm this is true because my very ordinary Vogue 2011 car has hot and cold seats, in fact quite a few Vogue's that I have looked at before I bought mine has this feature, and many also have optional extras that the SE's had as standard !

the best I have got on a single tank is 600 miles, but my right foot is applied fairly liberally when I'm driving most of the time and 500 is the norm Smile

Last edited by pcourtney on 2nd Nov 2023 7:31pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #652546 4th Jan 2023 8:47pm
phatvenny

United Kingdom 

I just though I’d update you all.

Yesterday I picked up the 2011 Vogue 4.4 V8 I had my eye on. 108k miles, 2 previous owners, FSH, plenty of paperwork and in great condition for just under £9k. There are a few niggles I want to deal with - the ashtray lid won’t close, there’s a couple of bulbs out, a little bit of rust is starting to appear on the rear wheel arches and the keys are falling apart, but other than that it’s a dream to drive.

I can see what all the fuss has been about! And funnily enough, the anxiety I had about the reliability of them just seems to disappear as you’re gliding along the road!

Thanks for your advice all! I look forward to many successful (and perhaps not so success) years of RR ownership! Laughing

Post #652561 4th Jan 2023 9:51pm
Joe90

England 

I would probably buy something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394335069421 .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #652565 4th Jan 2023 10:17pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

phatvenny wrote:
I just though I’d update you all.

Yesterday I picked up the 2011 Vogue 4.4 V8 I had my eye on. 108k miles, 2 previous owners, FSH, plenty of paperwork and in great condition for just under £9k. There are a few niggles I want to deal with - the ashtray lid won’t close, there’s a couple of bulbs out, a little bit of rust is starting to appear on the rear wheel arches and the keys are falling apart, but other than that it’s a dream to drive.

I can see what all the fuss has been about! And funnily enough, the anxiety I had about the reliability of them just seems to disappear as you’re gliding along the road!

Thanks for your advice all! I look forward to many successful (and perhaps not so success) years of RR ownership! Laughing

Sounds like a good deal! Have fun acquainting yourself with the ‘fatty’. And remember there’s a wealth of info on this forum. Your best purchase will be to get hold of an IID tool, so that you can diagnose, and often clear/remedy any stored problems, and keep it in fine fettle. They seem dear, but they are well worth the money.. as they are so comprehensive, way more than generic diagnostic tools. Learn how to deal with potential DPF alarm on the dash, and I’m sure you will be smiling every time you get in to drive it. The rear arch rust is common on all l322’s and not hard to deal with at this stage.. similarly, the lower edge of the rear upper tailgate can rust… these cars can really impress on a run, and also have tons of power if you want to overtake… feel the ‘elastic effect’ when you give it half throttle, and it just effortlessly passes traffic.

Post #652612 5th Jan 2023 11:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>