Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Upcomming Purchase?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Boydonegood

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Ipanema Sand
Upcomming Purchase?

Hi all!
Have been a member on here for years, but havent been on a lot recently.. (Not sure if that means i have been too busy, or the L322 has behaved herself!)
I joint many years ago when i was buying my P38. (i still recognise alot of users names that have helped!) Asked lots of questions and got amazing help in replies. When it came time to swap her out for my L322, i did the same and recieved the same amazing tips and advice.

Unfortunately the time has come to get rid of the L322.. No fault of her own, but Mr Sadik Khan is forcing my hand with his ULEZ expansion in August!!! Censored Censored

Means i will have to get rid of a few vehicles. Unfortunately the Bentley Arnage, Bentley Turbo R and the TD6 L322 will all have to go as will become to expensive to use daily.

Due to Dad struggling to get into lower vehicles, natural progression would be an entry model ULEZ Complient L405.

Lots of homework to do! Guess im looking at around £30k.

Ive always brought entry level price, but with lots of homework prior and listening to what advice ive been given, ive never really fell out of bed,

Anyone point me in any direction of a buyers guide? Or what to look for or avoid? Or Facebook forums etc?
Guessing its going to be Petrol as the prices are more in my price range.
Running costs not really an issue.. As long as im not being stung £80 a week in ULEZ!

Many thanks
Terry Accept, some days your the pigeon, some days your the statue!

Post #652763 6th Jan 2023 1:38pm
Suki

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Carpathian Grey

I found myself in a similar situation re ULEZ. I had to lose the L322 last year and went for an L405. My buying criteria was:

1. Must be an SDV8, not a V6. Lots of reasons for this, including the extras like the active suspension. You will really notice the lack of roll in corners compared to the L322.
2. Must be April 2017 or newer - the road tax is £165pa. I also wanted it to have factory Apple CarPlay, which they do after 2017 I believe.
3. Must be a Vogue SE, not a Vogue. I like the extras like depolyable side steps.
4. I have a mental barrier at anything over 60K miles.
5. My budget (this was in Aug last year) was 40k, but I went a couple of grand higher and got myself a really nice one.

I understand that the 2018 model year had a facelift and upgraded interior, but this wasn't important for me.

It's a great car, and a remarkable improvement on the L322. I kind of think that the improvement between my old P38 and my early L322 is the same sort of difference between my L322 and my L405. You will absolutely love the car.

Post #652789 6th Jan 2023 5:13pm
Bmax01

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

You could easily get a petrol L322 that is ULEZ compliant for well under £30K. Take your pick starting from around £4K https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?so...words=ulez

If you want a petrol L405 that's probably going to cost you well over £30K unless it's super high mileage.

For £30K you have a relatively large choice of ULEZ compliant diesels both 3 and 4.4 ltr. Including upto Autobiography if you buy private.

FYI for around £32K I have a mint Autobiography L405, 77K miles and full dealership service history which I rarely use. But I ain't selling just yet!

World's your oyster mate! L405 4.4 AB Loire Blue
Tesla Model Y
Audi A6 2012 (sold)
BMW 5 series 3.0 petrol, champagne II edition (sold)

Post #653079 9th Jan 2023 2:27pm
Boydonegood

Thanks so much guys!!
I really havent started looking at what’s out there or what to look for yet.

Looking to find out when the facelift happens and what years, models to look for.

I think I have today got somebody interested in my Turbo R, so the L405 pot has started! Accept, some days your the pigeon, some days your the statue!

Post #653100 9th Jan 2023 6:37pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

The ULEZ 4.4 SDV8 started on MY16; which you can pick up from a 15 plate don’t think the tax is as cheap as above but it was half my old L322. These cars should also be past all the front suspension issues, although I bet they have been corrected on most cars by now.

Only thing I’d say is we end up servicing ours twice a year due to oil dilution.

Good luck in the search Thumbs Up Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #653112 9th Jan 2023 8:21pm
Arch Stanton

England 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Oil dilution on the SDV8?? First time FFRR owner

Post #653114 9th Jan 2023 8:39pm
TJH1985

Yup, fairly common.

Didn’t have an issue until COVID but last couple of years 2 services a year because of it. Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #653122 9th Jan 2023 9:17pm
Arch Stanton

England 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

is this resultant of short run trips then? First time FFRR owner

Post #653133 9th Jan 2023 11:27pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

Not sure its that common on the SDV8. Certainly an issue with the V6 used across JLR cars, but I’d not heard of it being a problem with the V8 diesels. I do a mix of short and long journeys, but the car spends 90% of time not being used and over the last 4 years I averaged 8000 miles per year. No oil dilution issues and just the annual service, which the car tells me is due about a month from the anniversary date.

Post #653142 10th Jan 2023 8:37am
Boydonegood

Oh awesome..
So 4.4 SDV8 is the first Diesel ULEZ Complient? 15 plate on.

Im easy on petrol or diesel as long as the car is the right colour spec etc.

Sounds silly, but as soon as i know what years and engines to go for, and problems to look out for i will start looking at colours and specs to look for.. I know im buying entry level, but will hang in there to get the colour and spec i want. Im not in a massive hurry, so confident one will come along at some point.

I see there are a couple of firms doing the later facelift conversion for £5k.. That would be an option in the future if car was a keeper.
I had my 04 L322 done for £4k about 8 year ago that brought it up to 2010 look and never regretted it. Accept, some days your the pigeon, some days your the statue!

Post #653144 10th Jan 2023 8:55am
TJH1985

Is the month early not due to oil dilution? Pre COVID ours used to go the entire 12 months before requesting a service, mainly because I used to commute further afield once or twice a week.

We have fallen around 3/4 months early for the annual service, and when you check the oil dilution level with SDD it’s over the threshold hence the service being requested. We do around 10-12k a year and commute down a dual carriageway but when you track a regen it’s not always quite long enough hence I guess the dilution.

There was a recent thread with a few folk suffering with it since lockdown, it’s a real shame they don’t tell you when it’s attempting a regen so you can go the long way.

Have never had any amber or red DPF warnings, as it’s not doing loads of really short journeys and must be able to carry out a regen as required just enough failed to dilute the oil enough for a early service.

It’s not the end of the world, we change the oil and filter at home then it goes to the dealer for its annual service.

I guess in reality, it’s not twice a year it’s more like a service every 8-10 months but we choose to keep the annual service with LR and add in another oil service each year.

Yup MY16 was the first EURO 6 SDV8 which started to appear from 15 reg. But you’ll need to check because when I was looking we found even 16 plate cars that were MY15 probably registered late etc. It’s easy to spot, just check if it needs Ad-Blue the MY16 cars also self lower when you turn off the ignition.

Not sure on the TDV6, I’m sure someone can comment on those soon enough. Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #653145 10th Jan 2023 9:01am
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I couldn't agree more with this.
" it’s a real shame they don’t tell you when it’s attempting a regen so you can go the long way."
My wife's Jeep Renegade does this and we do exactly this.

Post #653153 10th Jan 2023 10:18am
TJH1985

its also timing, for example I went to the office last week which is a 300+ mile round trip and it didn't regen as it wasn't needed, but it might try now and only be used for <10 mile journeys for a week or so. Luck of the draw with our usage, so some kind of indication would be really nice IMO. Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #653167 10th Jan 2023 11:48am
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

[quote="TJH1985"]Is the month early not due to oil dilution?

I don’t think so. My understanding is when the car is serviced the OBC logs the date and one month before that date you get a message on the dash to remind you to book a service. It is apparently a kind of countdown and was on my L322 as well as the current L405.

Mine is a 16MY, so Euro 6 compliant and I've never had a DPF issue or had any oil dilution issues. Adblue gets added at service and I’ve never had to top that up either. In terms actual journeys, when I use the car, 95% of the time its for journeys of greater than 20 miles/40 minutes running time, with the vast majority being much longer and include long periods at motorway speeds.

Post #653178 10th Jan 2023 2:01pm
TJH1985

Ahh sorry yes the countdown, apologies I thought you were talking about it being down to 0.

Sounds like we have the same car both MY16’s, to be clear we have never had any DPF issues or warnings just the reduced service intervals due to dilution. Your usage looks allot healthier in all honesty. Ours is a 15 plate and it’s still only got 55k on the clock to give an idea.

It’s no big deal at the end of the day, I don’t begrudge it an extra oil service a year I could have LR service it when it asks but that seems a waste of money so I let them do a Annual under its service plan and then add in a oil change if it asks for it in between.

AdBlue I refill when it’s low as I read it has a shelf life, not sure if that’s true but it’s as you say probably annually if not longer.

We are massively OT - hope OP gets one snapped up soon, they are loverly machines! Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #653179 10th Jan 2023 2:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>