Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > To rebuild or not to rebuild
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bean19844

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey
To rebuild or not to rebuild

Evening folks

I've been speaking to the chaps at powerhouse regarding getting the 10% pulley upgrade and getting mine remapped. I'm in a slight dilemma of which way to go tho in regards to the charger. I've got a 2006 4.2 with 180k on the clock so in trying to figure out on do I get the whole supercharger refurbished.

I was originally thinking of dropping the car to them and getting them to fit the new snout and do the remap which would be approx a days work however now I'm thinking if I'm going to cough up this type of money maybe I'd be better off getting the charger rebuilt as well. Considering I'm driving from east London they said if i want this done they can do it but they will need the car for possibly a week as they would have to fit it in around the other work as it wouldn't be a planned job unless I give them the go ahead to do it regardless of if it needs changing or not. Hardest part will be having to commute from Costa del divehole to powerhouse and getting back on the same day which seems a bit of an effort.

Anyone done this before and able to verify if it's worth it? How hard is it to remove the charger yourself. If you've used powerhouse before how long did they take too rebuild the supercharger?

Any other advice good or bad is welcome

Cheers folks

Allen

Post #653504 13th Jan 2023 8:23pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Personally I’d be reluctant to spend money trying to squeeze more power out of a car with the thick end of 200k miles on it.
I just think that’s inviting problems.

Post #653510 13th Jan 2023 9:04pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

Iv given them a miss after the quote they gave me to replace the sc snout bearings and coupler on my 4.2 rrs. As for the pulley upgrade some say it's worth it some say not.
I'm going todo it my self once the weather improves iv got access to a press it's a simple job pulling the sc off even easier on the FF more room at the rear.
They wanted mine for a week and it's not exactly local either.

Post #653516 13th Jan 2023 10:41pm
kezbo1981

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

You need to remove the snout from the supercharger to change the pulley in a press so worth doing the bearings in that and the coupling (which at 180k miles is probably worn out anyway). When the snout is off the charger you can check to a certain extent whether the bearings in the main casing have play in them, but I think they're pretty robust.

I did the above when my engine was on around 200k miles because I needed to replace a worn out coupler. The mid range power is notably improved.

Post #653521 14th Jan 2023 12:13am
Ansi

Switzerland 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Adriatic Blue

Or you could order a refurbished snout from Powerhouse with a new shaft and bearings and with or without the "upgraded" pulley. After you have done the job send back the old snout.
Anyway, that's what I did, without upgraded pulley.

Post #653532 14th Jan 2023 9:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1