Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > New Member Decision: Late L322 v early L405
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Very very nice, my old D4 Landmark was nearly the same Indus/Almond, looks really clean.

Post #653998 19th Jan 2023 10:52am
JoolsB

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Nice - as you would expect, a different world from the defender, that said, I still like driving mine, but when you’ve got miles to cover there is simply nothing better
Mine has covered 85k now and I’m already worried about what I’m going to replace it with - I’m not too keen on the look of the 405 so maybe I’ll have a look at a new shape defender in a year or so.

Post #654059 19th Jan 2023 9:02pm
Proftinkerpot

Northern Ireland 

Hanwellfields wrote:
Thank you@mjd and mutley (for the tip off) plus the brilliant feedback from ‘322 & ‘405 owners = very helpful.

Btw - I am amazed how fresh it is. The interior is honestly like a new car. With that lovely leather smell too!
I will definitely go through the guides you shared.

Guess what? I also received this from the owner:

Click image to enlarge

Hanwellfields,that is excellent. Looks like you got a great example. I picked up my 2012 Westminster 2 weeks ago with just under 54k miles and i love it. Its very different to my f10 M5.

If you don't mind at some stage, I would love a pdf copy of the brochure if possible. I haven't been able to find it online. The list that is linked to on this site has a 405 brochure for 2012.

Cheers
Robert

Post #654062 19th Jan 2023 9:32pm
Hanwellfields

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

You are all very kind with your comments.

I loved the Defender. Every journey was an event. There is something called the Landy “wave” when owners pass another.
TBH - in the Cotswolds you get arm ache given there are so many on the roads! It is/was a tad agricultural even with heated seats and quick clear front screen. Maybe like a favorite girlfriend- you only remember the good stuff Wink

Ref: F10 M5. I saw a lovely one at the Bicester Scramble event. They reckon the runout model, de-restricted,could make nearly 200mph…

I will try and scan the brochure for you. I just had a look and should be able to give it a try.

In the meantime another pic from the brochure.

And thank you for all the comments. I already feel part of the community. Thumbs Up

Post #654073 19th Jan 2023 10:39pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Here is a US one…. Nearly there….

https://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/landr...r_2012.pdf

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #654078 19th Jan 2023 11:09pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Haylands wrote:
I seem to be in the minority on this thread but I wouldn't go back to a 322 from a 405...

A year ago there is no way I would ever have thought I would say that.... Rolling Eyes

And to a derv Pete... Whistle

Post #654085 20th Jan 2023 12:07am
Hanwellfields

Collection Update.

Myself and SWMBO met the seller at his rather lovely place in Hampshire. I cannot say exactly who he is but turns out he is a well respected figure in the sports and classic world. And I honestly had no clue.

RR was waiting outside. Immaculately clean, all manuals, log book, documentation I.e. the lot. Plus all keys, and a special bonus, brand new spare battery.

Journey home was an event. I didn’t realise how much torque there is. Wafted along on what felt like tickover!
I did play the game of “guess the gadget”. Working out heated steering wheel - amazing btw.
Almost a Mr Bean moment when I wondered what the miniature indicator stalk was for until the steering wheel got closer and closer. Thankfully I was stationary…

Tomorrow is supposed to be DIY day but I shall sneak off and read up on what are the forum tweaks on an L322… Already considering the LED indicator mod that has been kindly mentioned. Wink

Attached is (rather rubbish quality) collection picture as light was poor.

And a H-U-G-E thank you to the whole forum. Bow down

Post #654200 20th Jan 2023 11:30pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Wow!

That looks an awesome car! Enjoy!

I’ve not owned an L322 or even driven one, but I agree it somehow has a more “substantial” weighty look compared to the L405, which is a lighter, more streamlined vehicle. Both are equally attractive in different ways, so the ideal is to own one of each: I just need to convince SWIMBO of my theory! Laughing

OP Please keep us updated on your thoughts & progress with ownership Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #654211 21st Jan 2023 12:36am
Cam-Tech-Craig

Congratulations sir… Love to know who it was though Whistle Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #654250 21st Jan 2023 12:34pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I still smile every time I get in mine.

These are the side indicator LED bulbs I bought, no bling, just the same orange and brightness of the OE ones but get the instant on and off like the rest of the LED indicators.

Less than £10….

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194914556248?ep...BMlMfdw7ph

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #654251 21st Jan 2023 1:15pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Haylands wrote:
I seem to be in the minority on this thread but I wouldn't go back to a 322 from a 405...

A year ago there is no way I would ever have thought I would say that.... Rolling Eyes

And to a derv Pete... Whistle

Yeah, weird, drives and sounds better than the Supercharged...!!!

Hanwellfields

Lovely looking fatty, enjoy finding out about it all, you will be looking for excuses to go out... Thumbs Up Bow down Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #654262 21st Jan 2023 2:40pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

mjdronfield wrote:
I still smile every time I get in mine.

These are the side indicator LED bulbs I bought, no bling, just the same orange and brightness of the OE ones but get the instant on and off like the rest of the LED indicators.

Less than £10….

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194914556248?ep...BMlMfdw7ph

Took me a while to work out where to put them on a 405?!? Whistle Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Post #654269 21st Jan 2023 4:52pm
Proftinkerpot

Northern Ireland 

Hanwellfields wrote:
You are all very kind with your comments.

I loved the Defender. Every journey was an event. There is something called the Landy “wave” when owners pass another.
TBH - in the Cotswolds you get arm ache given there are so many on the roads! It is/was a tad agricultural even with heated seats and quick clear front screen. Maybe like a favorite girlfriend- you only remember the good stuff Wink

Ref: F10 M5. I saw a lovely one at the Bicester Scramble event. They reckon the runout model, de-restricted,could make nearly 200mph…

I will try and scan the brochure for you. I just had a look and should be able to give it a try.

In the meantime another pic from the brochure.

And thank you for all the comments. I already feel part of the community. Thumbs Up

Your car looks stunning. I too had a very pleasant buying experience dealing with a lovely family. It is very different to the M5. I am iqts second owner having purchased it as an approved used car from BMW at just under 4 years old with 13k miles on the clock. It's a 2014 car now with 47k. Totally reliable in my ownership. Well specced with M Comfort seats, folding rear seats, soft close doors, upgraded audio system, 20" alloys and itcwas a face-lift model. It cruises effortlessly and feels like a 520d until you put the foot down. I have seen on the forums that derestricted they will run to 190mph. Certainly the gearing suggests that is possible. I couldn't part with it and buying an L322 now they are so keenly priced seemed like a good compromise. The M5 will live in the garage in winter on a trickle charger and the Range Rover will get me around.

Post #654282 21st Jan 2023 7:15pm
Proftinkerpot

Northern Ireland 

mjdronfield wrote:
Here is a US one…. Nearly there….

https://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/landr...r_2012.pdf

Thumbs Up

Thanks for posting the US Brochure. Interesting that 2012 US cars still got a gear selector stick and not the rotary selector. Was that for the petrol engines only? Also, I noticed they got the earlier rotary selector for the special off road program modes. I'm guessing the UK brochure will include Westminster spec and the pop up gear selector.

Post #654284 21st Jan 2023 7:20pm
Hanwellfields

Gremlin500 wrote:
Wow!

That looks an awesome car! Enjoy!

I’ve not owned an L322 or even driven one, but I agree it somehow has a more “substantial” weighty look compared to the L405, which is a lighter, more streamlined vehicle. Both are equally attractive in different ways, so the ideal is to own one of each: I just need to convince SWIMBO of my theory! Laughing

OP Please keep us updated on your thoughts & progress with ownership Thumbs Up

@Gremlin - Thank you for your comments. It drives really well. It *is* a large and heavy car. But with the torque and a gentle right foot it is effortless. I only really appreciate how wide it is when travelling down some of the smaller local roads. But as you can see each corner placing it is a doddle.

The L405 is different. Maybe “more car like”? I had a very long chat with a dealer when I was looking. He had a few, pre and post facelift ‘405s. They looked very special inside and obviously with more modern gadgets they are appealing.

Forum members mentioned driving both is definitely something worth doing. My budget meant going for an L322, and having additional funds for any maintenance, over a higher miler ‘405 was probably the more sensible option.

TBH - Both models are great options. And if SWMBO gives the nod to both then you’re onto a winner!
Another pic when back home. Compared to the Mercedes GLB, which is much closer in the pic, it is much bigger!
(Pls ignore the Portaloo and skip. Renovations in progress…)

Post #654296 21st Jan 2023 9:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>