Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Jump starter, best option
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bill

United Kingdom 
Jump starter, best option

There was a short discussion a little while ago on the best options for a jump starter .

I am unable to find the thread

Any suggestions ?

Thanks. Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #654995 28th Jan 2023 7:55pm
UK Marine

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I believe it was about the NOCO brand. I have one and absolutely love it, it starts everything from my Range Rover and 3.0ltr Audi to my sit on lawn mower and charges my phone too…. ______________________________
Simon

Range Rover Classic 3.5 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 3.9 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 4.2 LSE - Sadly gone
Land Rover 110 3.5 - Gone
Range Rover P38a 4.0 SE - Pleased it's gone
Range Rover P38a 2.5 DHSE - Just sold
Range Rover L322 4.4 v8 Petrol - Current

Last edited by UK Marine on 28th Jan 2023 8:06pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #654996 28th Jan 2023 7:58pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Sorry Bill, I can't help but am also interested in the answers to your question, most people seemed to be recommending the most expensive, uk-sourced models (as usual on here!).

I did look on Aliexpress but got thoroughly bamboozled by all those non-doubt very honest Whistle adverts for multi-million mAh and hundreds of Amps output, I simply could not reach any kind of meaningful conclusion Big Cry

Come on Chaps, help us out! Bow down Bow down Bow down “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #654998 28th Jan 2023 8:02pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Yes it was noco and just looking at their web site the noco50 seems the best option.

Gremlin. I think the best route to buy is Amazon but a good description and capabilities to be found on their USA website.

Holds the charge for a year!

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #655000 28th Jan 2023 8:20pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I posted in the bargain finds section last week I think, as Amazon had an offer on.

I get some folk say why pay that much, but I can only recommend what I know works. No issues with my NOCO 70.

I havnt tried anything cheaper. Had a pack thing years ago and it was always flat whenever I needed it, despite being recently charged.

I went with recommendations for my TDV8 and works when I need it. Battery technology moved on since my earlier pack I imagine.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #655004 28th Jan 2023 8:28pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

The NOCO GBX models have more protections built-in, it seems they've finally caught up with the levels of stupidity of some buyers.... I have a GBX75 which is on paper, overkill. But, it will start vehicles first time with some seriously discharged batteries, <3V on a 6.3 V8 is the current record, I also factored in the chances of being away and it having a 'less than full' charge. It's one of those 'buy cheap, buy twice' items - but you don't want to be finding out you bought too cheap when you need it most.

Post #655008 28th Jan 2023 8:44pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Camtec Craig says you should not jump start these cars as there is a real danger of destroying the ECU - better to trickle charge the battery off the car. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #655041 29th Jan 2023 11:40am
oggy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

morning phoenix i see your model is rated at 2500 A so what would you suggest to be the min amp to start the v8 models as you say buy the right one first off new vehicle purchase
2007 supercharged 4.2 java black .sand leather vogue se trim
previous cars .
range rover classic 200 tdi
discovery 1 200 tdi
freelander 2 2008 hse
discovery 1 300 tdi
p38 4.0 ltr man r380 ex royal support vehicle on v5c
discovery td5 man off roader

Post #655050 29th Jan 2023 1:10pm
JoolsB

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

NOCO 75 - jumps the FF and the Defender from flat - and you’ll get a few goes out of it without recharging.

Post #655056 29th Jan 2023 2:15pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

JayGee wrote:
Camtec Craig says you should not jump start these cars as there is a real danger of destroying the ECU - better to trickle charge the battery off the car.

I've never had that happen with any vehicle - and I've jump started a good few. There were some scare stories in the 90's when ECM's were starting to be a thing, the advice was to jump start the vehicle, then switch on heavy loads (heated screens, seats, heater blower etc.) before disconnecting the jump pack or leads to minimise any voltage surge. Anything made in this century shouldn't be at risk because voltage regulation is done better / differently, ECM's have better avalanche diodes fitted to their power terminals and a lot of vehicles now use DC-DC converters, so they are not directly connected to the variable voltage output. The other side of that is, sometimes there isn't the luxury of being able to plug in a mains charger and wait for it to do it's stuff - hell, you might as well buy a BEV!

Oggy - I chose the GBX75 because we have some pretty big lumps to start at work sometimes, plus I wanted something with a bit of headroom for low temperatures (cold oil, takes more current to get the engine spinning) and the possibility of the battery pack not being fully charged, one of the tech's at work had a GB40 which was apparently useless on his own car (2.2 litre 4 cylinder diesel) but the GB50 was much better.

There is also the possibility that the battery may be defective, so any jump pack won't have any help from residual current. in my view, the rating of the Noco packs is a bit optimistic, especially for Diesels, which initially have to power the glow plugs (all the while, some of the charge in the pack will be cross-draining into the starter battery) before you're ready for a cranking attempt, so I think you do need some 'spare' in the box. I went for the GBX version as it has better charge control and helps prevent the vehicle alternator damaging the Lithium battery by powering off after a short time, just in case I'm persuaded to lend it out....

Post #655060 29th Jan 2023 3:02pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Thanks all , thanks phoenix. I didn’t appreciate there was a difference between GB & GBX

I may aim at the GBX 55 because it’s really for the lawnmowers, and perhaps the gen set , and hopefully never again for the
Black Beast of a FFRR ! That’s only three litres so there is headroom.

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #655084 29th Jan 2023 8:07pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

To be honest, if it wasn't for the occasional work use, I'd have gone for the GBX55. It has the spare capacity and the protections I'd want of it for my car.

Post #655085 29th Jan 2023 8:16pm
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I think this problem could happen to any boost pack but my first one started not excepting a charge when it was about 13months old. They gave me an allowance off another Noco in good faith!
Do a google search to see how common a fault this is on Noco boost packs.

Post #655094 29th Jan 2023 8:59pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Possibly why they brought out the GBX range with a modified charge profile?
TBH, it's no different to BEV technology, we see charge controller software being pushed on a monthly basis. Lithium batteries are not the best technology but (like VHS) have gained popularity over the competition. For now, I'm happy with my battery pack and it's never given any charging or discharging issues.

Post #655096 29th Jan 2023 9:20pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Well it arrived, extraordinarily extravagant but it was my birthday and my wife was desperate to buy me something. No she turned down the opportunity of buying me another FFRR

Anyway Phoenix a question , bear in mind this will be used on lawnmowers as much as anything.

All diesel. Normally there is a period of time with ignition on to warm the diesel , then crank.

Presumably the jumpstart will warm the diesel for the first ten or twenty seconds and crank (full turn of the key) within the 60 second time limit.

Thoughts? Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #655396 1st Feb 2023 7:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>