Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > 3.0 TDV6 Crankshaft issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey
3.0 TDV6 Crankshaft issue

I've recently dipped my toe into the L405 experience with a 2014 TDV8 and like it enough to consider changing some of my fleet for a newer L405.
My natural choice will be a TDV8 but I don't want to dismiss what might be the "right" car just because it has the TDV6, I wont take a chance on a TDV6 because of the risk (however tiny) of a crankshaft failure.
Is there a known year/VIN number when JLR solved the fracture/spun shell issue?
Thanks

Post #655042 29th Jan 2023 11:43am
SIMON1599

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

The TDV8 is not completely exempt from crank issues either!
There was no complete year that made the TDV6 exempt from the issues, my understanding is , it is a risk, but a relatively small one especially with the l405 compared to the Disco 4 for some reason.

Post #655069 29th Jan 2023 5:47pm
cass

"The TDV8 is not completely exempt from crank issues either!"
Really, tell me more

Post #655076 29th Jan 2023 7:17pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

All cars, all engines can have issues. Nothing is fail proof.

We got told the 4.2SC engine was bulletproof. Bought one. That particular one wasn’t (see buyer’s guide on that nightmare).

Plenty on this forum about pros and cons of the TDv6… only found out about the L405 TDv6 crankshaft jitters after buying the car…. 6 years ago…. The engine hasn’t fallen out and no, one does not feel like one of the lucky few.

Last edited by pld118 on 30th Jan 2023 8:01am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #655088 29th Jan 2023 8:25pm
philip1972

France 2006 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

The crank issue has not gone away. Still happing on disco 5s.

Post #655092 29th Jan 2023 8:47pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

“ I wont take a chance on a TDV6”

Pointless discussion, folks? Whistle

There are no reliable statistics on these failures, or even reliable data on the VIN range affected.
Whatever you buy, you would be recommended to take out a decent warranty covering this and other significant items of risk.
Any premium/complex car will have some risk involved.

There is already plenty of discussion on here which the OP should search for, read, and make up his own mind.

RR’s are not for the feint-hearted or risk-averse, I think we can all agree to that. Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #655098 29th Jan 2023 9:25pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

There is a dealer / main agent note / TSB which Land Rover specifically published relating to the TDV6 Diesel failure issues - it’s been posted on this forum before - it may be worth a search to establish if there was any reference or relationship to specific VIN numbers. Doh - edited it’s in my gallery !

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #655105 29th Jan 2023 10:50pm
cass

Well, I had to read my original post as I thought I asked a simple question but some folks seemed to think I was looking for buying advice or a comparison of the different engines available.
I've had over a dozen different JLR products and I'm well aware of their failings, hence I know the value of a good warranty and would never consider buying without one. However, as someone who does almost all of the maintenance/repairs myself I consider paying hundreds/thousands of pounds a year ad infinitum to insure against my car against breaking down to be an act of madness or stupidity. I usually choose to keep this opinion to myself but as others have chosen to open the door of uninvited opinion I see no reason to not share it this time.
I've researched this issue well beyond the confines of this forum and made my mind up - there is an issue with some TDV6 cranks which, thanks to the info that Vogue has posted, JLR have acknowledged even if they did nothing to help.
For the record there are many apparent reasons for these failures but the most plausible to me is that during the development of the engine with Ford and PSA the drive towards lightweighting and "too many cooks" resulted in an underdeveloped motor that lacked proper locators for the bearing shells. This combined with a huge demand that led to the moulds being used well beyond their planned life resulted in a marginal motor that would probably be OK but if you were unlucky could fail with very little provocation.
This could be utter Bo11ocks but it does help to explain how some can be neglected and run to 300K and others fail at 30K.
I can see no sensible reason to buy a TDV6 over a TDV8 in my position hence my simple question, does anyone know when JLR fixed this problem?
Thanks to Vogue and the others who did answer the question that I asked I've concluded that it looks like 2016/2017 seems to be where things were sorted?
Has anyone had a failure after this date?

Post #655148 30th Jan 2023 4:12pm
Gremlin500

@Cass:

Sorry but I don’t get it, if you “won’t consider” a V6, why do you ask about them? What’s the point?
Just get a V8, simples! Thumbs Up

Most of us here on the forum are well-acquainted with the whole story, but as I said before, there are precious few reliable statistics to weigh up the risk factor, and little published information for obvious reasons. Certainly, we can’t expect JLR to come clean and give us the numbers year on year, or even tell us at what point a fix was initiated in production.
From what I have read, the years 2010-2015 are most affected, (maybe a few in 2016?)
(A VIN range has been mentioned on here but I can’t find it).
I went for a MY2017 as being “low risk” as I’ve not heard of an occurrence that late in a vehicle with good provenance, (however even though I do much of my own work, including some of the bigger jobs, draw the line at hauling out an engine or gearbox on my driveway, I still thought a warranty would be worthwhile.)

It’s purely a personal decision at the end of the day. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #655157 30th Jan 2023 5:41pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

cass wrote:
… However, as someone who does almost all of the maintenance/repairs myself I consider paying hundreds/thousands of pounds a year ad infinitum to insure against my car against breaking down to be an act of madness or stupidity. I usually choose to keep this opinion to myself but as others have chosen to open the door of uninvited opinion I see no reason to not share it this time…

Not everyone has the time or know how that you seem to have to do almost all of the maintenance/ repairs themselves. Hence some people do succumb to said madness and/ or stupidity and spend hundreds/ thousands of pounds a year on a warranty.

There is the other topic of JLR good will. Those who do use and can evidence use of the LR service/ maintenance network and an extended warranty probably have a stronger goodwill contribution case, even if something major goes wrong and is not covered by warranty. Perhaps less likelihood of goodwill if an owner can only evidence almost all of the maintenance/ repairs themselves.

If you’ve read the forum posts deeply enough you’ll also see a well made point about those less common occasions where an L405 Tdv6 crankshaft failed… ie the owner not being left high and dry to pay for it by LR, the repair costs got covered.

An open forum, so people will read posts, questions and replies before interpreting and replying to them in their own way. Sometimes we like the replies we get and sometimes we don’t. Suppose the main thing is restraint/ not inadvertently insulting others who might take a differing approach (“madness or stupidity”) Thumbs Up

Post #655167 30th Jan 2023 7:09pm
Gremlin500

@PLD118:

I concur, FWIW Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #655176 30th Jan 2023 8:01pm
cass

[quote="Gremlin500"]@Cass:

Sorry but I don’t get it, if you “won’t consider” a V6, why do you ask about them? What’s the point?
Just get a V8, simples! Thumbs Up

If you read the whole of the post rather than taking a few words out of context then the point is clear.
"My natural choice will be a TDV8 but I don't want to dismiss what might be the "right" car just because it has the TDV6, I wont take a chance on a TDV6 because of the risk (however tiny) of a crankshaft failure.
Is there a known year/VIN number when JLR solved the fracture/spun shell issue?"

It then seems that you did have some relevant knowledge but chose not to offer it and decided to tell me how you thought I should go about buying my next car instead

Post #655191 30th Jan 2023 9:10pm
cass

pld118 wrote:
[q Suppose the main thing is restraint/ not inadvertently insulting others who might take a differing approach (“madness or stupidity”) Thumbs Up

Completely agree which is why I don't reply to posts with a now deleted yawn Emoji Thumbs Up

Post #655192 30th Jan 2023 9:13pm
Gremlin500

cass wrote:
I don't want to dismiss what might be the "right" car just because it has the TDV6, I wont take a chance on a TDV6 because of the risk (however tiny) of a crankshaft failure.

Your words. Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #655196 30th Jan 2023 10:13pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey
Re: 3.0 TDV6 Crankshaft issue

My gosh, the tone and tittletattling on this forum certainly changes when the TDV6 crank subject comes up Rolling with laughter

cass wrote:

For the record there are many apparent reasons for these failures but the most plausible to me is that during the development of the engine with Ford and PSA the drive towards lightweighting and "too many cooks" resulted in an underdeveloped motor that lacked proper locators for the bearing shells.

Correct. The main issue is down the fundamental design of the bottom end to support a transverse mounting arrangement for installation into the Citroën C5, Citroën C6 and Peugeot 407. This leaves the crank web or cheek to contain less mass than what would typically be present in a robust design.

Of course, those who have purchased TDV6 engined vehicles will naturally try and defend their purchase. I did exactly this before I experienced a bottom end failure myself (to be clear, I'm talking about the car Wink ).

Being an engineer I have a significant number of technical reports on this very subject. For those who are technically minded, here's one of my favourites to substantiate the design methodology and engineering of the TDV6 when it was in the 2.7 form: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S7O_dmPFq...sp=sharing

Interestingly, I find section 4.1 of the report quite ironic...
"For V6 automotive engines crankshaft durability is usually the most vulnerable at the big end bearing fillets of the flying webs. This is due to significant combustion generated bending moments that act across the big end bearing overlap section coupled with large stress concentrations at the small radius fillets."

Anyway, enough of this off topic nonsense, to answer your original question directly....

cass wrote:

Is there a known year/VIN number when JLR solved the fracture/spun shell issue?
Thanks

No, it has not been resolved. The fundamental design of the engine is the same. Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #655197 30th Jan 2023 10:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>