Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > 23" or 22" - what to choose?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Hobo729

Cyprus 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue
23" or 22" - what to choose?

I ordered a L460 D350 AB in October last year (2022) and the sales guy recommended I opt for 23" wheels because "they suit the car better and you won't be disappointed with the ride quality". My present 2019 car (L405 SD4.4 AB) came on 22" and was transformed into a delight to drive when I changed to 21" wheels.
My question is, has anyone got 23" wheels on their L460 and do they agree with what the sales guy told me?

Post #656024 8th Feb 2023 11:39am
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I’ve driven a D350 on 23’’ wheels and it felt like my L405 on 22’’ wheels. They have the same amount of tyre between the rim and the roadwhich makes sense.

Sounds like you might be better of 22’’ on the L460 if you prefer 21’’ on the L405. MY23 D350 HSE
On my 7th RR plus various other JLR vehicles

Post #656049 8th Feb 2023 3:40pm
DJIT

United Kingdom 

My outgoing D300 has 23"s and looks wise they suite the car better than the 21"s. There is going to be a trade off on ride dynamics with a thinner tyre wall. For me it was fine as I didn't drive the car on 21"s. I did notice the dealer has supplied them with lower PSI than the door sticker suggests and when I took the pressure up to the correct rating, I noticed a firmer ride. Again I got used to it.

P440e arrives this week on 22"s and I am in two minds whether to transfer the 23"s. What's in an inch? Rolling with laughter

Post #656050 8th Feb 2023 3:40pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

My P440e arrived with 21's and I'm looking for 22's. Had 23's on my last one and the ride is definitely quite firm especially with the roads in their current appalling state. Current fleet:
2020 McLaren 600LT Spider
2020 Mercedes C300 Cabriolet
2023 PHEV 440 SE
1992 Lotus Esprit turbo
2017 Alpine A110

Post #656054 8th Feb 2023 4:44pm
Hobo729

Cyprus 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Thanks Andy, I am not a style for the sake of style lover myself - I prefer functionality. I drive across Europe several times a year and my choice of vehicle is based on comfort and versatility - go any where if needed is also on the list. The major roads in civilised Europe are a dream to drive on and my present L405 glides on its 21" wheels and the latest Pirelli's are so quiet these days, the journeys are a joy. I am certainly reading the posts and have now decided 23" is not for me - my instinct said 22" was max but perhaps 21" is even better except what about the trick suspension setup on the D350 - is is calibrated for 21" wheels?

Post #656082 8th Feb 2023 11:01pm
Jase71

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

when I ordered 23's were not available in the supply chain.. 2017 Range Rover Vogue V6 Diesel
2006 Range Rover Vogue V8 Diesel - gone

Post #656213 10th Feb 2023 4:03pm
DJIT

United Kingdom 

Hi guys. Yesterday drove all three sizes. First my outgoing D300 with 23”s. These were on the car from collection in July as a dealer fit. So I had nothing to compare it with. Found the drive to be fine. Did notice the drive felt firmer when I added air to the recommended setting a few months in but it was a marginal increase. Was happy with aesthetics and drive.

Yesterday I drove the car to a local garage and had the original 21” wheels fitted before pxing the car. Drove 50 miles on the 21”s. First time I’d driven an L460 on 21”s. Immediately noticed a sharper and tipping feeling on turn in. Also felt a slight side to side bobbing / lateral movement on motorway. Maybe it’s part due to the narrower tyre as well as the increased side wall. Aesthetically they looked a little small to me.

Collected the P440e on 22”s. Drove 50 miles. Felt firmer than the 21”s and not a noticeable difference to me than the 23”s. Possibly the “thud” is slightly more pronounced on the phev over joins in the road where the car is heavier but overall very pleased with the 22”s.

Aesthetically the car came prespec’d by the dealer so I didn’t have a choice of wheel but I think they are okay. It’s a close call between the two wheels so I’m thinking I may stick with the 22”s and not compromise ev range, but we will see.

(Very impressed with the car). Very Happy

Post #656275 11th Feb 2023 10:16am
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba

DJIT wrote:
My outgoing D300 has 23"s and looks wise they suite the car better than the 21"s. There is going to be a trade off on ride dynamics with a thinner tyre wall. For me it was fine as I didn't drive the car on 21"s. I did notice the dealer has supplied them with lower PSI than the door sticker suggests and when I took the pressure up to the correct rating, I noticed a firmer ride. Again I got used to it.

P440e arrives this week on 22"s and I am in two minds whether to transfer the 23"s. What's in an inch? Rolling with laughter

DJIT, do you mind me asking when you placed your order for the P440e?

My order (albeit for a LWB variant) has been in since Feb 2022 and still not slotted yet, would be interesting to know how long you've been waiting?

Or AndyS, if you could also please advise as to order date?

Post #656288 11th Feb 2023 4:50pm
DJIT

United Kingdom 

Hi aja500. Mine was a bit of luck really. I kept in contact with the dealer asking them to let me know if they had any phev’s cancelled orders come through. After a couple of near misses (where people threatened to cancel but took the cars and lo and behold they popped up on Autotrader soon after) they said they had a dealer spec’d car coming through. I was happy enough with the spec so took it.

From what I can see on the spec of my car and the comments across this site, it seems to me that things like the wheels, the inside wood trim, towbar, etc, all seem to affect the build slot.

Ironically my first car was a cancelled order 7 months ago and I px’d it for over list back to the dealer. So I guess in that moment in time it was good to buy a cancelled order and run it, ready to jump into the next one.

My intention was to take this second car and order my own spec (I usually buy black) which I guess may take a year or so but for now I’m pleased with this one.

Sorry to hear yours is taking so long, maybe after all your patience your dealer can offer you first refusal on a dealer spec’s or cancelled order car in the meantime.

Post #656297 11th Feb 2023 6:07pm
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba

Thanks for taking the time to reply DJIT and congratulations on getting the new car. That looks like Eiger Grey, which was actually on my shortlist, but in the end I decided to play safe with black.

My dealer is a complete waste of space, whenever I enquire about cancelled orders, the salesman tries to suggest that they've still only delivered a handful of L460's. He's a total bull Censored er

The only saving grace, is that I had a new 5.0 LWB FFRR delivered in December 21, so I still have a nice car, but I was definitely expecting an L460 before now and it's frustrating that I still don't even have a slot yet. Worse still, is the dealer seems to have a nice steady supply of delivery mileage L460's passing through the showroom which they're retailing for £20k+ above RRP!! - Surely these should be being offered to waiting customers, but clearly they're not.

I'm now pretty much resigned to the fact that it'll arrive whenever it arrives. Well done for getting one though DJIT, enjoy Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #656317 11th Feb 2023 11:43pm
Westminster

United Kingdom 

I opted for 21" on mine and would have gone for 20" if available. I'd imagine 23"s would be pretty crashy.

Post #674842 3rd Oct 2023 10:34pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I drive all three options weekly on road tests (after servicing) I agree the 22” is the sweet spot but! The 23’s look better by far! Thumbs Up

Post #674858 4th Oct 2023 8:41am
DJIT

United Kingdom 

Did I hear the Tory's are going to resurface all UK roads with the HS2 saving? If so I will get the 23"s out of storage! Laughing

Post #674887 4th Oct 2023 3:52pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 
Poor ride on 22” wheels

Following from my earlier post about the poor ride quality on 22” wheels on my hybrid, I checked the tyre pressures just last week only to find they were all 10psi above the recommended pressures.
After adjusting, the ride has improved massively and transformed the car, I should have done this months ago, but I assumed the LR dealer had carried out the pdi in a professional and caring manner before I collected it but I think pigs flying would be more realistic. Current fleet:
2020 McLaren 600LT Spider
2020 Mercedes C300 Cabriolet
2023 PHEV 440 SE
1992 Lotus Esprit turbo
2017 Alpine A110

Post #674917 4th Oct 2023 8:50pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Anything a salesman recommends should be verified - if one of ours said it was raining, I'd look out of the window to check.
Generally they 'recommend' anything they will increase their commission on, in this case, upsell of wheels. I've driven a few L460's, the 22" is the best balance of ride & handling IMO - just make sure whatever size you choose, the car is 'told' what you have fitted. There are different suspension & steering tunes for each wheel size / tyre man. combination, if they are factory fit, it'll be tuned correctly, very few dealers will change the CCF unless the wheels are changed as part of the PDI rather than after.

Post #674918 4th Oct 2023 9:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>