Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Home repairs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver
Home repairs

This should give folks a laugh, but if you do this sort of thing, your SIWMBO may not be happy.

Last week my clothes dryer drive belt failed, I ordered a new belt and new belt tensioner parts, all for £27 which included postage. Thumbs Up As an equivalent new dryer is around the £480 mark. Once the spares arrived, I dragged the dryer into the kitchen.......and.........

I'd had one of those Clarkson 'How hard can it be' moments..... blithely thinking it would be a twenty minute job......NO......you can see what happened below... Censored Banging Head Thud At least it is now working again. Thumbs Up After a good web search, this was the correct way to do it!!!!!!!! Prior to re-assembly, cleaning the fans and all other parts took two hours. Mind you this is the first work it has needed after 10 plus years of use.

Needless to say, the bar opened early that day

Post #656286 11th Feb 2023 5:38pm
Arch Stanton

England 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

this thread could be renamed "it seemed like a good idea at the time" First time FFRR owner

Post #656292 11th Feb 2023 6:19pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Nice work Merchy.

My wife would kill for a new dishwasher. However, I keep patching up the existing one each time is breaks. Triggers broom springs to mind. Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #656295 11th Feb 2023 6:51pm
appj62

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Good job you didn't start the job the day before you were due back to sea. That would have got SWMBO frothing at the mouth.🤭 Previous cars:
S-Max 2007-2013 (only diesel I've had, good car but expensive when diesely bits go wrong, so what's the point?)
Galaxy 2001-2007
Mondeo Estate 1997-2001
Sierra Estate 1993-1997
Uno Turbo 1987 -1993
Fiesta 1984 - 1987
Fiat 127 1982 - 1984

Post #656308 11th Feb 2023 8:22pm
SamThomas

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

knwatkins wrote:
Nice work Merchy.

My wife would kill for a new dishwasher. However, I keep patching up the existing one each time is breaks. Triggers broom springs to mind.

I don't have that problem - domestic equipment gets 1 x repair & then the first I know about the second failure is when I come home to find that Mrs T has already had the replacement purchased, installed & the old one taken away.

Makes for a much quieter life long term.

Post #656332 12th Feb 2023 12:33pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey
Re: Home repairs

Merchy wrote:
This should give folks a laugh, but if you do this sort of thing, your SIWMBO may not be happy.

Last week my clothes dryer drive belt failed, I ordered a new belt and new belt tensioner parts, all for £27 which included postage. Thumbs Up As an equivalent new dryer is around the £480 mark. Once the spares arrived, I dragged the dryer into the kitchen.......and.........

I'd had one of those Clarkson 'How hard can it be' moments..... blithely thinking it would be a twenty minute job......NO......you can see what happened below... Censored Banging Head Thud At least it is now working again. Thumbs Up After a good web search, this was the correct way to do it!!!!!!!! Prior to re-assembly, cleaning the fans and all other parts took two hours. Mind you this is the first work it has needed after 10 plus years of use.

Needless to say, the bar opened early that day

Way back when there were a lot of those dodgy hotpoint tumble driers, that caught fire, we previously had an issue with ours, and I too had to dismantle the whole thing to get a belt on it.. the metal it was made of was very thin, and only a few swage lines and small reinforcing pieces and lots of self tapping screws made the the box section a structure… however, I ended up with a handful of screws and small bits of reinforcing metal pieces left over.. the drier worked again, so it was put back into use. Then, with all the bad stories on the news it was found out that it was indeed on the at risk register, and we got correspondence to recommend to ‘watch over it’ and clean it regularly. We ended up buying another Hotpoint drier, via a very special offer, with the condition that it was delivered, and the old dodgy one was taken away by the delivery van etc. so the new one arrived, and the old one was picked up, only for it to actually fall to pieces on the tail lift of the van, and cut the fingers of the operative who tried to rescue parts. I had not put enough screws back in, so the whole thing buckled, and tore open, and fell apart. The guys were angry, and blamed the machine… it was certainly built to a price!.

Post #656418 13th Feb 2023 12:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1