Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Spotted > Unique Identifiers on your car, good or bad?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Unique Identifiers on your car, good or bad?

This came up in another thread but I have long had opinions about this.

Apart from a private plate, which makes your car stand out in the crowd more than a boggo one, is it really a good thing to have other stuff on your car which picks you out? For example, if you get snapped speeding and they send you the picture, if your car was very plain/standard other than the plate you might be able to get away with saying your car was cloned and that's not you in your car (as long as there is no face shot of you smiling at the wheel!)

However, if you have a sticker (such as the forum one) or any other differentiator on your car, it instantly points it out as being YOU!

Does anyone else have opinions about this? Is it worth bothering to think about or not? Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #4606 7th Apr 2009 8:28am
Larry

England 2006 Range Rover SE Td6 Java Black

You just beat me to it RRUK. I've just posted on this subject on the Privacy thread. Feel free to move my post to here.

Post #4609 7th Apr 2009 8:47am
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Best defence is a Tracking System that you control and have access to "Yes" do a great "retail one"

Post #4616 7th Apr 2009 10:01am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Hi Adam, I too have though of this, offenders claiming their plate could have been cloned etc.

However, the Police would be unlikely to just stop there, they would probably start to look at other things like bank accounts - had the person concerned stopped at a shop or garage and paid for anything. If so they may have been captured by cctv or their debit card details could tie them to being in that specific area.

In this day and age there are probably too many "paper" trails to try and deny that you may have been in a specific area, probably end up in jail for perjury instead of a simple speeding fine Shocked

Post #4619 7th Apr 2009 11:03am
Larry

England 2006 Range Rover SE Td6 Java Black

Records of credit card transactions, mobile phone location (which cell you're in, trangulated with the next nearest) and number plate recognition and you could track most people down to within 200 yards! Then you can narrow it down with face recognition software on CCTV cameras and you've got 'em.

If they don't do it routinely now, it'll only be a couple of years before they do (it'll be a council using anti-terrorist legislation to find a litter lout that starts it all). Time to buy that foil hat and fall off the grid!

Post #4622 7th Apr 2009 11:22am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Time to buy that foil hat and fall off the grid!

OR just wear a hoody everywhere, pay cash and drive a car with privaseee glass Cool Razz Laughing nobody would be able to recognise you or follow a paper trail

Post #4629 7th Apr 2009 11:36am
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Vogue wrote:
Hi Adam, I too have though of this, offenders claiming their plate could have been cloned etc.

However, the Police would be unlikely to just stop there, they would probably start to look at other things like bank accounts - had the person concerned stopped at a shop or garage and paid for anything. If so they may have been captured by cctv or their debit card details could tie them to being in that specific area.

In this day and age there are probably too many "paper" trails to try and deny that you may have been in a specific area, probably end up in jail for perjury instead of a simple speeding fine Shocked

As a serving member of the boys in blue, I can say that certain attempts will be made to trace the vehicle, but it depends what the offence is. If it's 35 in a 30, I wouldn't waste my time, but if the vehicle had made off from a murder scene, then I'd be putting pictures of the vehicle all over the news.

Sufficed to say, if you tried to say it wasn't you and it was found that it was, then you'd be looking at more serious offences! 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #4655 7th Apr 2009 5:34pm
Mudplugger

England 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Waitomo Grey

Interestingly - have had a recent personal example of this.
I got a note from the Metropolitan Police in Feb to say my Disco had been Gatso'd in West London somewhere in November!
Fixed penalty 3 pts + £60.
Asked for photo - and you could clearly make out the plate, and the number was right - but the plate was the wrong shape! Apart from a lack of tow bar - the vehicle looked identical.

I had a private plate on it -and with only 6 digits and often towing big farm kit about, we'd used a standard 'long' plate from a previous vehicle (farmers are tight!) -and not a standard square one so the plate wasn't obscured. This was so we could get away with using a short trailer without a plate - just lights.

Explained that to the police, but they said 'no-one clones personal plates' and tried to infer we'd been caught 286 miles away from where the vehicle was parked on the date in question.
I kept protesting our innocence -and just refused to return any forms that admitted liability.

Many, many calls from a persistent policeman - that only worked 9-5, so we always missed his calls - and farm hours are before and after that!
As what I was saying was true, repeating the same explanation -" not our car, plate is different shape" - although I could not prove it - they have now stopped calling me and more than 3 months has now passed.

Does beg the question - are we all now presumed guilty - until we can prove our own innocence?

Anyhow - my advice - if you're ever challenged like that -sign /send nothing and stubbornly protest.

Hope the Censored who cloned a Disco 3 with our private plate is still driving it.
It's now on a different vehicle entirely! Won't work for him for long...

Regards

Muddy Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 - L405 (now sadly sold)
BMW i3 (fantastic little runabout)
Kioti NX6010 Tractor
Yamaha Big Bear ATV
And a whole heap of other kit...

Post #6348 6th Jul 2009 5:13pm
drakes

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Reading the post about the D3 being cloned it must be a good reason to have something personal on your motor to prove that the cloned one is not you. The different shape back plate obviously did not help as much as you might think but something particularly distinguishing could prove your innocence on the other hand as the first post suggests it could prove your guilt in a different situation. Interesting dilema I may have stumbled upon.

Post #6350 6th Jul 2009 5:43pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

good for if your car is cloned then but bad if it really WAS you and you want to try and get out of a minor motoring offence! Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #6352 6th Jul 2009 5:52pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

I had a letter from the Lincolnshire Police in the early nineties saying my car had caused an accident etc etc. The registration and car manufacturer details were right, but they named the wrong model of car - I had a Supra, but it was down as a Hiace van!! I'd never been to Lincoln so knew it could not have been me so I sent them a letter saying I'd never been there and did not own a Hiace van, I then got a letter of apology sent back from them.
I would say that if you are wrongly accused of speeding etc and you know where your car was at the time of the offence, then, if you have another witness to verify it, you could maybe write 2 signed statements to that effect, but also say you would be happy to repeat what you have written in a court of law, to back up how seriously you are taking the matter, then send them off to the police. They would hopefully read these and know that 2 people would be unlikely to commit perjury for the sake of a minor speeding fine etc. Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #6359 7th Jul 2009 12:37am
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Just a small and possible inconsequential change to mark your car out from the herd of other FFRR's might be to change to non-standard exhaust tips/pipes, I know somebody who has a small enamelled Union Jack badge on the rear hatch. All very inconspicuous and easily overlooked by cloners
My own cars have always had a sticker in the rear window supporting a very obscure charity.......................... quite difficult to clone that! Also putting a forum sticker on the rear screen should also make your car a bit more individual, there are not many FFRR.com stickers around Rolling with laughter

Post #6715 6th Aug 2009 1:05pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Mine's got a few stickers inside that would make it harder to clone:

FFRR Forum Sticker - front and rear
BASC Sticker
RBL Poppy sticker
Swiss Pass Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #6722 6th Aug 2009 3:48pm
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Stick a Winch on the front Whistle

Post #6738 6th Aug 2009 6:27pm
neo

England 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Santorini Black

Paint it Orange? Wink

Post #7069 28th Aug 2009 10:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>