Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L460) > Electrical Fault!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Japseroony

England 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver
Electrical Fault!!!!

So after 128 miles had this come up on the dash - pic below!

Continued to drive for a while with no problems other than the warning triangle and when I stopped the car and left it for an hour, upon restarting the warning had gone.

Drove a few miles but then it came up again and I called LR assist who actually sent a LR approved technician.

He took one look at the fault and said it was a common fault but there was no fix at this time - this all seems to be a little weird to me.

He said it was the alternator not charging and the car might come to a stop and they would recover me home but that then becomes a lottery as do I use it knowing it might stop or not?

Apparently it’s across the D250/300/350 engine range in the FF, RRS, Defender and Discovery and LR are working on a fix but anyone else having this problem?

"UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.

Post #664918 24th May 2023 2:44pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

I've got a D300 in a MY2021 and never had any warnings like this, so not sure why it should be the engine??? All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #664933 24th May 2023 5:36pm
Japseroony

Chalky, not sure what makes you think its the engine, I just mentioned the engine range as its only happening on the diesel variants - seems to be an alternator fault and from what I understand if the alternator stops charging the car will run for about 10 mins until the battery is flat and then grind to a halt.

I know old diesel engines used to run with no battery once started but not these days - too many electrics!! "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.

Post #664936 24th May 2023 5:52pm
Japseroony

So it’s happened again - only 270 miles on the clock and an effing expensive un-drivable folly on the drive!!

LR assist on their way again but just not acceptable and no news from LR as to what is wrong.

Don’t want to drive it for fear it will stop and I am stuck waiting for LR assist to attend which could be a 2+ hour wait ffs.

Gonna return it as not fit for purpose - 3rd FFRR I have had to return, 2 due to electrical problems and the SVA due to the engine going wrong!! "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.

Post #665233 27th May 2023 6:29pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

That must be really annoying/depressing, especially on top of other bad experiences with LR products.

When my 405 was relatively new it threw up random warning messages from time to time. Rather than get LR Assist I called the dealer and took it in for a diagnostic test and software reboot. That worked, though it has needed software reboots from time to time since (for other things). Might it be worth seeing if the dealer can sort it rather than rejecting it? Of course there comes a point when one has lost confidence and maybe better to reject than have the worry whether it will break done each time it is used.

Good luck whatever you decide. It's a shame that the attractive design and drive characteristics are let down by this sort of thing, especially at the price. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #665257 27th May 2023 10:06pm
Polarbear

United Kingdom 

Feel for you Jasperoony

I would reject and ask for replacement, hard to bond with it when you can’t trust it despite the mad money they cost.

Post #665265 27th May 2023 11:19pm
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I’d have a sensible chat with JLR/Dealer and explain you would like a replacement vehicle. They should let you keep your fixed one while the new one is built.

Post #665272 28th May 2023 7:41am
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Really sorry to hear this, I remember the issues with the SVA. Had the same experience but with 2 L405's.

To a point I agree with Autobiography. However, I think because any replacement car will also be relatively new, you'll probably face either similar or a different set of problems.

Land Rover won't care, but I'd reject it while you can.

Someone else will be queuing up to buy it and won't ask why has this got one previous registered keeper and next to no mileage on it and is less than a month old.

Post #665294 28th May 2023 1:00pm
Japseroony

Just a quick update.

After reporting this to LR assist they could not send a LR assist guy till Monday but could send an AA chap - they said it was because it was a bank holiday so I asked if LR’s didn’t breakdown over bank holiday weekends but that was lost on the person I was chatting with!

AA arrived and diagnosed the same fault as last time - he could not help.

I asked about recovery to a dealer to be told my local dealer (Stratstone) were not taking in recoveries even if they supplied the car (which they did not) but Team Valley were so all he could do was suggest I drove the car there on Tuesday - effectively leaving me without a car over the weekend!

I asked about a courtesy car and he called LR assist who told him no courtesy car until the car had been recovered or was in a LR dealership - so even more annoyed now!

DP at the supplying dealership not at work today and until Tuesday so will have a word with the dealership then about returning the car - trouble is they have not had a go at fixing it yet but I am not happy driving it due to the possibility of it grinding to a halt Big Cry "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.

Post #665298 28th May 2023 1:45pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

You probably know this from the SVA but you don't have to give them an opportunity to fix the car in order to exercise your right to rejection. Its a reasonable expectation that you buy something and its free from faults.

The dealer could keep going for months applying fixes and changing modules and still not be able to fix it.

Post #665303 28th May 2023 2:27pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Japseroony wrote:
Just a quick update.
DP at the supplying dealership not at work today and until Tuesday so will have a word with the dealership then about returning the car - trouble is they have not had a go at fixing it yet but I am not happy driving it due to the possibility of it grinding to a halt Big Cry

Its high time you Range Rover jockeys stood up to the very complacent JLR. Premium product, legendary brand, a very loyal following and you all get treated like Censored . We should be proud of this vehicle, not ashamed of it's manufacturer. Until you guys take a stance, JLR will still continue to churn out faulty products with elements of very poor design.
You must be seriously hacked off, I would be for sure if I'd shelled out the sort of money these things cost. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #665308 28th May 2023 4:03pm
Christonabike

United Kingdom 

Sorry to hear of your problems Jasperoony.

I’m NE based and whilst it’ll give you no comfort to know that my car has been thankfully electrical fault free, both my L460 and my wife’s LR are both serviced and maintained by Team Valley LR and I find them a cut above the JLR dealer network.

Have a chat with either of the Grahams. They are vastly experienced with the main dealer world and very very good with issues such as this. I’d be surprised if they don’t find you some kind of solution.

Good luck.

Post #665342 28th May 2023 11:42pm
Japseroony

AJGalaxy2012 wrote:
Its high time you Range Rover jockeys stood up to the very complacent JLR. Premium product, legendary brand, a very loyal following and you all get treated like Censored . We should be proud of this vehicle, not ashamed of it's manufacturer. Until you guys take a stance, JLR will still continue to churn out faulty products with elements of very poor design.
You must be seriously hacked off, I would be for sure if I'd shelled out the sort of money these things cost.

We’ll get off the fence why don’t you - strong words indeed!!

In the current car climate I doubt any manufacturers are paying too much attention to customers as they have a que of folk waiting in line but there is a process to follow and follow it I will Thumbs Up "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.

Post #665357 29th May 2023 9:35am
Japseroony

Christonabike wrote:
Sorry to hear of your problems Jasperoony.

I’m NE based and whilst it’ll give you no comfort to know that my car has been thankfully electrical fault free, both my L460 and my wife’s LR are both serviced and maintained by Team Valley LR and I find them a cut above the JLR dealer network.

Have a chat with either of the Grahams. They are vastly experienced with the main dealer world and very very good with issues such as this. I’d be surprised if they don’t find you some kind of solution.

Good luck.

Yes I know the 2 Grahams well and have been using TVLR for many years.

Car is being driven there tomorrow (hopefully I make it) and according to LR Assist it’s booked in and supposedly a courtesy car will be waiting Whistle Whistle Whistle

I will then be calling the dealer and seeing what they say Thumbs Up "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.

Post #665358 29th May 2023 9:38am
Bill

United Kingdom 

Japser

My dealer insisted I book the courtesy car with JLR

P******d me off, but we’re adamant.

Collected from the dealer. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #665380 29th May 2023 1:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>