Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Questionable displays on Fuel Consumption and Service?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
fatdivot

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Loire Blue
Questionable displays on Fuel Consumption and Service?

Hi, I'm new to a 2017 L405 3.0 TDV6 (previously Disco4) and am amazed at the inaccuracy of the fuel consumption display and also the indicated miles to oil and DEF service. So I'd be interested in hearing some expert views.

First, after over 1,000 miles of careful driving (Eco readout 98% to 100%) the average MPG displayed is 35.8, which I would be pleased with, but doing exact brim-to-brim refuelling measurements the calculated real consumption is only 30.7 MPG - and that assumes the milometer is giving true mileage covered and not also exaggerating! That's a significant amount of lying.

Secondly, the displayed distance to next oil service is tumbling at over twice the rate of miles actually covered, which will mean next oil service will be at roughly 7,000 miles since last service and not the 16,000 miles quoted.

Finally, the displayed distance to DEF service is erratic ... sometimes tumbling slower than actual miles covered, but more often tumbling much quicker.

My journeys have been mixed commuting of 10 miles each way and longer runs of up to 100 miles if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Post #658088 28th Feb 2023 2:21pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

the short journeys will be bringing it down. There is a long running thread of dpf regeneration on here. If i understand it correctly, it’ll try regeneration on a short journey but not complete as the journey isn’t long enough and each regen process dilutes the oil, and if its not completing, then its trying again and diluting the oil more often … which in turn reduces the mileage before service quicker too. V8 or else ...

Post #658135 28th Feb 2023 11:37pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

It's an indicator, not an absolute measurement, the same way that (for example) auto high beam is a driving aid, not a replacement for driver control.
It's impossible for a fairly simplistic measurement to take account of all factors affecting fuel usage economy - on any vehicle, but it will be consistent within its own parameters.
To be honest, if you're looking for fuel economy, then you have the wrong vehicle. It excels at many things, they come at a cost, part of which is fuel usage.

If you want to calculate it yourself, then you need fuel quantity, fuel age (Cetane rating) ambient temperature, journey length, distance, oil & exhaust temperature, time and distance spent in each gear, throttle demand limits and rate of rise, tyre pressures, vehicle load, wind speed and direction, aircon load, electrical load, roof loading, vehicle mass and a few other minor factors to get an accurate measure.
Or you could just do the traditional 'blue feint ruled A6 notebook' in the drivers door pocket with date, fill quantity and mileage and average it out over some arbitrary time period.

Post #658136 1st Mar 2023 12:03am
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

@fatdivot:

Read this thread in full:

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic60839.html

For my FFRR TDV6 mostly short 8 mile to 16 mile journeys, 1 real mile = 3.83 Service Miles, so 16,000 = 4177 miles between services.

Welcome to the real World! Crying or Very sad “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #658139 1st Mar 2023 1:14am
Gremlin500

Get a Vgate iCar Pro and App for your phone.
Get an iCarSoft LR V3 diagnostic tool so you can force regens if needed.
You will then have a much better idea of what is going on with your DPF, and be able to act accordingly. Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #658140 1st Mar 2023 1:22am
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Get the "Road Trip Lite " app which gives you the true mpg figure. It's always about 5mpg difference to the car's display.

I am always amazed at the figures posted on here about consumption. All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #658154 1st Mar 2023 11:23am
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

lol as I posted here recently mine was serviced about a year ago with 24k miles it's now done just under 27k and it's saying service is required. It dropped down this low simply by moving it in and out of the garage for the last 3 months. overfinch modified

Post #658155 1st Mar 2023 11:25am
fatdivot

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Loire Blue

Chalky wrote:
Get the "Road Trip Lite " app which gives you the true mpg figure. It's always about 5mpg difference to the car's display.

I am always amazed at the figures posted on here about consumption.

Thanks for the expert replies so far ... I would have thought that the car's instant MPG display would be based on the actual metered amount of fuel currently being feed to the engine, with the average MPG display being an accumulation of the same data. In other words results based on quite precisely known information.

Road Trip Lite uses the same unquestionably true principle as brim-to-brim and 'blue feint ruled A6 notebook' methods (how much fuel was really put in the tank and how far did it go) so why is Land Rover displaying 5mpg more? Surely they're not manipulating the calculations to falsely impress!

Post #658175 1st Mar 2023 2:19pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Dont forget your mpg will go out of the window depending on how many times the DPF regenerates per fuel tank fill, as you use fuel to do a AR plus all the factors Phoenix mentions.
FBH also takes the juice.

If due to journey length you have a failed Active Regen, then it will look to do another AR the next journey when conditions are met. More juice

Short slow journeys increase the soot load quicker = sooner/more AR, compared to Motorway driving where Passive Regen can occur to reduce soot load.

I change the oil every 3k miles and its the service countdown that informs me to do it. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #658177 1st Mar 2023 2:56pm
Gremlin500

#2 what Kot said (as one of our resident experts on this subject) Bow down Bow down Bow down

I expect Luxmoggy will be along to chip in his 2p soon…… Bow down Bow down Bow down

Yes, the dashboard readings are sadly fantasy, to be polite. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #658186 1st Mar 2023 5:16pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

so this mpg was really 15mpg.... Censored

Mr. Green ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #658190 1st Mar 2023 5:48pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

No Stan, it was about 33-35 mpg. All LR cars from 1984

Post #658194 1st Mar 2023 6:36pm
Gremlin500

@Stan:

Not quite that bad hopefully, I’ve been keeping a careful log of litres purchased vs miles driven, mostly short urban journeys (often around 8 miles), and my consumption varies from 20-29mpg depending on traffic and weather, -if its freezing, I use the remote start which wastes fuel.

I’ve not done the “single-trip brim the tank and drive economically” thing, because it doesn’t prove much in the real world, but I expect I’d get much better on a run across country, but maybe not so much on the motorway.

What does my display say? Dunno, I never look! Rolling with laughter “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #658195 1st Mar 2023 6:39pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

According to Road Trip Lite my car is averaging 29.61mpg and that is nearly all under 10 mile trips!

Why buy a FFRR you ask if that's all you do? I drive a lot off road and some long trips when I get about 35mpg (41 according to the car!!) All LR cars from 1984

Post #658196 1st Mar 2023 6:42pm
Gremlin500

[quote="Chalky"]Why buy a FFRR you ask if that's all you do?/quote]

Simples: to waft about the land in luxury and imperiousness, looking down on all you survey, type of thing...... Whistle

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #658204 1st Mar 2023 8:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>