Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Installing a 020 battery into a 2007 TDV8 rhd
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rscsmith

United Kingdom 
Installing a 020 battery into a 2007 TDV8 rhd

All,

I’ve just changed my battery to a Varta I1, size 020 (£145 delivered from Tayna). This is one size bigger than the OEM battery, which is size 019. I’d read lots on the forum about using a 020 and decided to take the plunge. It just about fits, but I thought I would record how it went here in case it’s of use to people. It's not without its trials.

Car: 2007 Vogue SE 3.6 TDV8, right hand drive.

1) You need the bonnet in the service position. The job would be nearly impossible if it’s down.

2) I had a mate to help me. It was a struggle with two of us. He was stood next to the car on a step, I was kneeling on top of the engine. It might be ok if you have biceps like tree trunks, but this is a 25kg battery that needs to be threaded into a very tight space – it’s not a simple exercise to drop it in. There are cables and the washer hose in the way, so a spare hand or two is needed to avoid snagging these.

3) I put a 12V supply onto the car from my CTek MXS10 charger (which has a supply function for this purpose) so I didn’t have to reset windows, steering sensor, etc. Of course, this meant the positive terminal stayed live, even after the battery is removed, so I wrapped it in a rubber glove to avoid accidents. I ran a cable tie down from the wiper to hold it out of the way. I cable tied the negative to the bonnet support.

4) The battery is slightly too long. There is a flange along the bottom of the battery (used for tying the battery down). The flange was clashing with the inner wing. This meant I couldn’t get the +ve terminal on as the battery was too close to the centre of the car and the heater box (I think). I had read about this somewhere. Since this flange isn’t used for tying down on the RR, I used a Dremel with a cutting disk to cut it off, making the side of the battery flat at the bottom (negative terminal side). This meant the battery could now be hard against the inner wing. I also removed some insulating material.

Click image to enlarge

It is worth considering that this has probably invalidated my warranty. I may well just stick with a 019 next time, as that is what the car is designed for.

5) The positive terminal has a fuse box beneath it. This fuse box wraps around the top flange of the battery, i.e. the box is thinner at the top than at the bottom. It wouldn’t squeeze past (what I think is) the heater box once the battery was in position, so I had to install the terminal with the battery halfway out, then drop the battery the last few inches. Another reason for that second pair of hands, to hold it up while the terminal is moved into place. Also of note - if that fuse goes, I'll have to lift the battery to access it.

Click image to enlarge

In short, a pain in the neck to do, but it’s in and the car now starts with enthusiasm. Looking forward to using my FBH on the next cold morning.

I would be interested to hear if I've missed anything that meant all this was not necessary. Perhaps it's only Varta batteries that are tight and other brands fit better.

Cheers, Rob '07 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8

Post #659761 18th Mar 2023 5:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1