Post Reply  Down to end
Page 33 of 35 <123 ... 32 333435>
Print this entire topic · 
MarianaWestminster

United Kingdom 

Hi Fisha,

Live data, CHCMB, active roll control status -
Cornering detected

Can you have a look when at standstill and see what yours says?

If a couple of cars say 'no' and mine says 'yes' then I've got another diagnostic rabbit hole to go down

Thanks!

Post #670543 6th Aug 2023 9:42am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Hmmm, I posted a reply last night and it’s not here. I plugged the iidtool whilst parked on the ferry.

Ignition on, but engine not cranked, the car thought it was cornering, and trying to centre the steering did not change it. I also was watching the dynamic mode state which was at stage 2. The ferry was shoogling a little so I think that was making the sensors read values.

When driving though, the cornering value did flick between yes and no. It stayed mainly Yes unless I was dead ahead on a flat road. Anything that made the body of the car move/lean etc made it go to Yes. But it would change back to no very quickly if it could.

The dynamic response mode changed from 2 to 3 when driving and didn’t change. V8 or else ...

Post #670548 6th Aug 2023 10:04am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

An update on above … was on the ferry again and at standstill it was saying yes to cornering when stopped.

It appears to default to yes at below 5mph regardless. If I’m on a straight flat road and it’s reading No, as I come to a stop it goes to yes. Then only pull away, without touching the steering it’ll change back to No above 5mph. V8 or else ...

Post #670549 6th Aug 2023 10:19am
MarianaWestminster

United Kingdom 

Interesting Fisha,

Thanks for checking.

Perhaps another red herring.

I've emailed gap to ask their thoughts.

Meanwhile my autotrader search flicks between Diesel D5 Audi A8s and Petrol W222 S class.

Post #670552 6th Aug 2023 10:42am
littlecub

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Epsom Green

Hi MW,
Have been reading your tale of woe on your beast and was just reading about a guy here in Australia that had a very hard riding new Defender that I thought could possibly be something that you could get done.

" Just an update on my Defender. Since my last post in August 22 I became suspicious of the ride which I thought was a little bit brutal. I had driven a neighbour's Fender and the ride was luxurious nothing like mine. Many visits to the dealer who insisted that there was nothing wrong. Changed dealers who said the same. Earlier this year I knew I had a problem. Bought a GAP Diagnostics tool and with a lot of help from very knowledgable friend we finally found that Damper Current which opens the bypass valves in the damper was not as it should be. I sent these graphs to ULR together with ones that Patrick at GAP and also from a friend who had the tool. Finally ULR did another another test called a picoscope and agreed that the chassis controls module was not working correctly. They have ordered one but it's taking a long time to be delivered. This has been going on for a year now and the whole thing has been very frustrating. Why both dealers did not do the picoscope test in first place I don't know. Why the dealer's standard diagnostic tool doesn't do this test I don't know. I reckon that there must be other Fenders with this problem. It's not so noticeable in the suburbs and a lot of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference."

Hope you get it sorted as it sounds like a real pain in the butt.

cheers. littlecub

Post #670557 6th Aug 2023 11:17am
MarianaWestminster

United Kingdom 

Thanks Littlecub,

I know of said Defender in that post as GraemeS was helping the guy out and it seems he's on the way to a resolution.

Unfortunately in my case it's not as simple as the module not outputting current as mine does but the suspension is still very poor and not at all luxurious.

If I unplug a damper to cause a fault it goes properly rock solid hard which is how I imagine that chaps defender currently drives with no current going to the dampers.

It would be interesting to scope all the inputs and outputs to the module though.

I know from a Facebook post that Landymansam is planning to buy a scope and use it on his harsh riding L322.

I am at a point now where I don't want to continue spending money on it and will probably just ride things out until early next year when it will be convienient to get rid and buy something from another brand.

Post #670559 6th Aug 2023 11:32am
MarianaWestminster

United Kingdom 

Very out of the box here but I wonder if this is an anti piracy thing?

I've had SDD (not original) connected to all 3 bad cars.

Could it be that this is what you get when LR realises cracked software is connected to the car?

I keep going over things I've done on all 3

Used SDD on them
Changed locking wheel nuts for aftermarket replacements
Plugged in a belkin phone charger
Etc etc

Post #670720 8th Aug 2023 11:42am
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I think that would be highly unlikely. I've used a hookey copy of SDD and never had an issue. If JLR went through the effort of implementing such a measure, I'm sure they wouldn't simply make just the dampers go hard.

The use of SDD is much more widespread on the Jag forums than the LR forums due to there being no IID-tool equivalent and there is no evidence I've seen to suggest that JLR have implemented such measures. Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #670728 8th Aug 2023 1:25pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Just noticed this in a description for an L405 in the for sale section;
"Front suspension valve chest upgraded to later 2015 onwards type (huge improvement in ride)" 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #670731 8th Aug 2023 2:34pm
160dmb

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

That's my one that's for sale but I think that valve chest is a red herring because the OP's car will have the later version from new - unless it's faulty of course but I can't help there I have never had a faulty one, just the early version which was upgraded under warranty.

My 2014 car now rides very similarly to the 65 plate car I just bought

Alignment can make a huge difference but I think that has been discussed previously. 2016 (L405) Autobiography in Black with Ivory - for ULEZ
2014 (L405) VSE in Black with Ivory
2011 (L322) VSE in Black with Ivory
2005 (3.2 V6) Porsche Cayenne in Black with Savanna
1999 (P38) VSE in Burgundy (?) with Sand

Post #670733 8th Aug 2023 2:47pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

When you say 'valve chest', what are you actually referring to?

The air suspension valve blocks that are responsible for regulating the air volume in the air springs when raising and lowering the air springs? There are three of these within the system from memory.

Or are you referring to the dynamic response valve block that regulates the the hydraulic fluid being pumped into and from the hydraulic anti roll bars when cornering?

The air suspension valve block is a simple thing used across multiple land rover products. There are no known faults as far as I'm aware apart from general age related issues where you can buy some new o-rings to refurb them when you find one corner is no longer holding air.

As far as I'm aware, only the dynamic response valve block was subject to an upgrade from a CPLA part to an FPLA part (ie. Single piston vs dual piston variant respectively) which is documented in technical bulletin LTB00557.

But I cannot see how this would have any correlation to the issue being experienced by our fellow forum member and his hard dampers. Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #670744 8th Aug 2023 5:15pm
160dmb

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I am talking about the dynamic response valve block and agree that it is not relevant to the OP's issues.

I was saying it's a red herring in response to a previous comment mentioning the advert for my car.

The OP's car would have had the later twin piston version from the factory so not relevant here I don't think 2016 (L405) Autobiography in Black with Ivory - for ULEZ
2014 (L405) VSE in Black with Ivory
2011 (L322) VSE in Black with Ivory
2005 (3.2 V6) Porsche Cayenne in Black with Savanna
1999 (P38) VSE in Burgundy (?) with Sand

Post #670751 8th Aug 2023 8:38pm
MarianaWestminster

United Kingdom 

Yes I suppose its a bit far fetched Knwatkins.

It was just a passing thought which came about whilst fooling about with vintage arcade games at the weekend.

(Developers would put checks in the games code to intentionally break the game when a hookey copy was detected)

I did open up my Mongoose/Mongoose OBD cable too to check for any damaged components that could have affected the cars systems but nothing observed.

Thanks for the thoughts on the dynamic reponse valve block, I had considered this but as rightly said my car being 16MY should already have the upgraded twin piston variant.

I am beginning to accept it is not in the plan for me to have a nice, enjoyable FFRR.

Only my first one has been any good.

Last edited by MarianaWestminster on 6th Nov 2023 12:24am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #670771 8th Aug 2023 11:53pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Well, having read your latest post, I’m thinking that if you don’t want to drive it maybe it needs to go. Try something else… see if you feel the need to be back in a Rangie…. Not ideal I know, but it’s gonna drive you bonkers if you don’t get out of it or discover the cause pretty quickly.

I was gonna say that if it’s the same issue you had with the L322’s then you should probably not look at the systems the L405 has that the 322 doesn’t…. But we can’t assume things at this stage… such a pain…

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #670793 9th Aug 2023 9:25am
MarianaWestminster

United Kingdom 

I didnt miss the second (bad) RR when I swapped to the Bentley CGT.

I only sold the CGT due to my mileage increasing dramatically and needing a car that could manage at least 20mpg.

I decided to get another (3rd) L322 assuming my second one was just a lemon.

Your right, I should stay focused on systems shared by both the 322 and 405.

So in the forums opinions what sensors/systems provide data to the suspension, steering and engine simultaneously?

Last edited by MarianaWestminster on 6th Nov 2023 12:24am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #670800 9th Aug 2023 10:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 33 of 35 <123 ... 32 333435>