Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Do I, or don't I?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ennoch

Do I, or don't I?

So there's a car locally that I 'like' at a used car dealer. It's not the perfect heart spec but it is head spec (and it is VSE with adaptive lights). I didn't want silver paint and I don't like black leather, but both are the practical choices and that's what this car is ultimately for. It's a 2010 so early rather than late 4.4 TDV8, and isn't daft mileage at 85k with FSH, two owners, year warranty etc (which itself 'saves' £900 on what I'm spending with the BMW). Brakes are nearly new (same as the BMW) and they're doing a service (BMW just done) so in terms of those costs its equal. Of course I'd do the driveline oils myself once I'd got it anyway. The interior is in good nick, the paint is decidedly scuffed from being parked in town but most is saveable and the worst is limited to bumpers which are easy to get repainted if I decide that's necessary.

Now, the question is, what is the right price for this from a dealer? Prices are all over the place, and given the difference between youngest and newest is 11yrs vs 13yrs it's not a major issue, but I'm struggling to work out what's actually 'fair' to value it at. The dealer's had it since at least the start of December but I suspect longer, and has dropped it down in price quite a few times so it's now currently sitting at 15k. Complicating it is that I'm looking to chop in a mint 2015 335d for it with Christmas tree spec so will be looking for a fair bit of cash my way. Selling my car privately would net max cash as it's definitely forum sec but that's also a PITA dealing with people.

In its favour it's local and is pretty rust free bar the usual small bit on the rear arch lip. In the past I've happily travelled 800 mile round trips for cars but a) life is too short now for that nonsense and b) being an older car there are lots of these that simply don't match the described condition, wasting a lot of time and money if you travel to then travel home again empty handed. So, basically, in the forum's knowledgeable opinion, is it overpriced or not? Whistle

Cheers!

p.s. are all the cooled seats a little firm in the back? I'm comparing them to the £3k option Merino electric seats in the Beemer which are the best I've ever sat in but they just feel a little firm, shapeless and flat with a hard spot in the lower back (even with the pneumatic bit on minimum).

Post #660945 2nd Apr 2023 10:39pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

For that price I wouldn’t want to have to start messing around painting panels or correcting blemishes. You can easily run up £1k with paintwork. The price does seem expensive, but what else is there available locally. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #660953 3rd Apr 2023 4:12am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Doesn’t sound like the car you want so on that alone I’d wait until the right one comes along and then you won’t be questioning the purchase price. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #660955 3rd Apr 2023 7:10am
EOD Steve

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Sumatra Black

The one in Kirkcaldy right?

Decent spec incl. RSE.

I guess it depends on what you are happy to spend once it's yours. But you are right, the prices are all over the place.

Autouncle website is full of over priced 322s at the moment. What do dealers think when customers discuss the asking price of their (dealers) cars and mention auto uncles views? I bet they don't like it.

s

Post #660958 3rd Apr 2023 8:52am
Kot

United Kingdom 

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low...nsion-2023

The market will soon be awash with large diesel engine cars in London due to our friend Mr Khan. Best wait a while and plan a weekend away visiting the London sights, especially around the new ULEZ boroughs. Rolling with laughter 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #660960 3rd Apr 2023 10:32am
JayGee

@Kot - didn’t happen when the first ULEZ scheme came in and that likley has the greatest concentration of RR’s per sq mile in the whole of the uk. If you are wealthy enough to own a RR - a few ££ extra for the ULEZ is not a big issue….. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Last edited by JayGee on 3rd Apr 2023 4:55pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #660961 3rd Apr 2023 10:41am
SamThomas

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

Kot wrote:
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/ulez-expansion-2023

The market will soon be awash with large diesel engine cars in London due to our friend Mr Khan. Best wait a while and plan a weekend away visiting the London sights, especially around the new ULEZ boroughs. Rolling with laughter

When the ULEZ expansion was planned I noticed more diesel RR's on the market giving you a good selection to choose from.
However, they did not appear to have dropped in value.

As for the one the OP is/has been looking at the rust on the wheelarch is probably the tip of the iceberg - at some point it will require serious money to rectify in the area of the jacking points/cills.

Post #660964 3rd Apr 2023 11:07am
Ennoch

Interesting thoughts, seems I’m right in thinking it’s a bit steep on the cash price although I’ve got my car on motorway for an idea of what it’ll be worth so I can do a comparison and understand what his cash back offer is like. I make it out to be terrible, it really isn’t, it’s just not been owned by someone with a driveway. Paint isn’t the end of the world and I could get most stuff sorted with the rotary, or at least improved. I’ve also got a few contacts with paint so it wouldn’t be horrendous cost wise if I decided to do that. Spec wise the adaptive headlights are a positive, and while I’d love the cream leather and dark paint option, the reality is that it would probably frustrate me a lot. That’s the downside of the current car, the paint on it is absolutely perfect and the interior is white leather so both take a lot of upkeep and you’re always mindful of where you park it; hence the head vs heart spec. Most with the perforated cream leather are also looking quite dirty IMO.

Also, my current car is also non-ULEZ compliant as it’s a Euro 5 diesel do the value of that would soon too, and as it’s a comparatively more expensive car the loss would likely be greater. I think the price needs to move but we’ll see what he comes back with. @EOD Steve, that’s the car. WBAC on mine is about 14.5k (without taking into account it’s a high spec car) and the FFRR is 8.5k. Obviously the RR is a riskier car to buy and sell as a dealer so you’d expect them to be having a higher margin on one, but that difference is £6k alone without taking spec or true condition into account. I think most of the FFRR’s are crazy money for what is now an old and complicated car, but then anything in the category I’m after seems that way (pickups and big off roaders). Locally there’s Censored all unfortunately, and the convenience itself is worth a bit to me (first time I’ve ever said that!!).

On the wheel arch rust, it’s the inner lip under the door seal which seems to be an issue on pretty much all of them, and I’ve no issue with taking all the plastics off and treating any surface rust under the liners or sills, I’m well versed on that with cars. The rest of the car actually seems to be in pretty good shape but it’s just that commitment of knowing that I’m chopping in a mint car that I do like but isn’t practical and swapping for an older, higher maintenance car that just isn’t ever going to be in such good condition as what I’ve got, but is practical and something I need to do.

Post #660971 3rd Apr 2023 1:18pm
Ennoch

So just as a thought on this; what would the collective here value it at? I think it’s expensive for a now 13 year old car but what’s available online is actually probably more expensive, albeit for some slightly newer cars, and of course none of these seem to be moving particularly quickly anyway which says a lot about either the market or the price they’re trying to get. My concern, or at least thought, is that if you buy it then it’s straight off going to lose a ton of money if you came to sell it in a few years. Based on what motorway offered for mine (19k) and his asking price, £4k cash is basically him not giving me any discount on it and that’s where the sticking point is. That said with the year warranty it’s arguably saving another £1k in that. Has anyone experienced the Auroguard warranty with these? Ultimately I’m happy to do fixes myself but a warranty does de-risk things like the alternator etc vs buying privately, but only if the warranty is actually any good, otherwise you may as well save a ton by going private and putting the saving in the bank for any problems (I’d be doing that anyway but obviously I would prefer not to have to use it!).

Post #661009 4th Apr 2023 9:30am
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

IMO its a 13k car from how you have described. The warranty probably is not worth the paper its written on. check very carefully as all these smaller dealers hand out these warranties.

The dealer probably won't sell for this price but at least another £1k for your car i would hope. overfinch modified

Post #661010 4th Apr 2023 9:55am
Ennoch

That’s where I’m thinking @caymanblack. I think he’s going to be unwilling to shift as much as I’d ideally like, but also he’s getting a more desirable and more easily sold car in better nick in return so that should be taken into account. £5k cash, MOT, full service inc diffs, and sorting the paint on the rear bumper, plus an air con charge and I think we’re in the right place. Plus of course the dubious warranty. Luckily I have contacts in garages so that would at least help get some work done if the warranty co was being awkward (I say if, I mean when). My general expectation is that these aftermarket warranties aren’t really worth the paper they’re written on but maybe I’m wrong, Autoguard does seem to get some reasonable reviews online. Then again there’s a big difference in cost between an alternator or starter on these things vs a crank on a TDV6! I’m in no desperate rush. It’s an okay car and seems pretty honest, and would allow me to tidy bits and such like (having used them to bargain against) but I’m quite happy to wait see if he moves on price. Worst case I sell mine separately and then do some travelling, or wait. Now the salt’s beginning to disappear from the roads I’m not so unhappy about taking the Impreza out and using that for a few weeks if I need to.

Post #661041 4th Apr 2023 3:15pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Be careful mentioning TDV6 Crank failures - you'll incur the wrath of the TDV6 fan club, the alleged failures are all a myth Whistle

Post #661048 4th Apr 2023 3:48pm
JayGee

The low mileage will attract a premium windscreen price for the dealer but for the buyer condition is more important than mileage at this age. Low miles could also mean it’s spent a lot of it’s life as a city runaround doing the school and gym run in classic ‘Chelsea tractor’ mode so not ideal for a big diesel with a DPF. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #661053 4th Apr 2023 4:45pm
Ennoch

cass wrote:
Be careful mentioning TDV6 Crank failures - you'll incur the wrath of the TDV6 fan club, the alleged failures are all a myth Whistle

Ha, very true. But this isn't my first rodeo with Land Rover, there ain't no smoke without fire. At least it's not Lucas wiring smoke at this point...

JayGee wrote:
The low mileage will attract a premium windscreen price for the dealer but for the buyer condition is more important than mileage at this age. Low miles could also mean it’s spent a lot of it’s life as a city runaround doing the school and gym run in classic ‘Chelsea tractor’ mode so not ideal for a big diesel with a DPF.

Yeah, it's funny how they knock things down on trade ins but then use the same thing as a plus when it comes to selling. There is a bit at the back of my head saying just get a 120k 2009 3.6 for not much more than half what the 4.4's selling for because the mileage premium will soon disappear when I'm doing 15k a year in it. I believe this one was used for some town driving with the last owner, hence the bodywork marks, but at the end of the day it's difficult to know and a high miles one could still be driven more in town than ideal. 95% of my driving is on long runs so hopefully if it's running fine now it should still be fine with me, and the risk is there with any DPF car. What's putting me off a higher mile 4.4 is that they still command decent enough money up to a point, but over 150k they go through the floor, and that's only a few years down the line for me. It's all a balance and nothing is black and white or an easy decision, and as you say, condition is so key. The bit that appeals to me on this one is that while it has some rust beginning to come through on the rear arch lips, there's none on the boot and the underside is clean as anything. Lots seem to be significantly worse underneath.

Post #661090 4th Apr 2023 10:12pm
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Ennoch, that car has been advertised since last May, surely there is a deal to be done??? overfinch modified

Post #661101 5th Apr 2023 9:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>