Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Brian James Trailers?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hanwellfields

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver
Brian James Trailers?

Hi Team,
Quick question…
Q. Anyone have a Brian James trailer? Have a couple of (ahem) dumb questions… Whistle
Many thanks Current: L322 2011 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE, MB GLB AMG35, Renault Clio R200 Cup
Previous: Audi RS4 Avant Nogaro, Audit TT Sline, BMW M3 E92, BMW Z4 3.0i SMG, Macan GTS, Boxster S 986, Touareg V6 TDI

Post #661547 10th Apr 2023 8:43pm
chugga90

United Kingdom 

Had a well used second hand flatbed with sides a number of years ago.
Good robust trailer towed very well. The sides used to open on the move and drop off the pins. Only really complaint. Had to make sure I tied the latches!

Post #661563 11th Apr 2023 6:38am
Highroller

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I have a small Brian James 4 wheel car trailer. No real issues, apart from the rear lamps (poor connections to the bulbs). Changed the jockey wheel & winch due to rust. But I have had it for 20 years now.

Post #661564 11th Apr 2023 7:23am
Hanwellfields

Thanks for the feedback Chugga and Highroller. Thumbs Up

I have had my RT4, bought just before Covid, and have done 1 trip with it due to Lockdown and general busy'ness etc. Now looking to get it out of storage and use it. Have small track car that "lives" in it.

Planning a few track days this year. And the jockey wheel on it has always been difficult. I saw another RT4 and it looks like maybe mine had a slightly different jockey wheel fitted.

A couple of Qs:

-As part of my driveway is tight and always cars all over the place. I was looking at whether to install a caravan mover to make it easier to manoeuvre?
-If so I wonder if I would need to change the type of jockey wheel? As mine has a "solid" tyre. Current: L322 2011 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE, MB GLB AMG35, Renault Clio R200 Cup
Previous: Audi RS4 Avant Nogaro, Audit TT Sline, BMW M3 E92, BMW Z4 3.0i SMG, Macan GTS, Boxster S 986, Touareg V6 TDI

Post #661568 11th Apr 2023 8:20am
Highroller

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I only use mine for towing my classic race Mini. Even with the four wheels it's easy to manover.
However mine doesn't live on the trailer, so the caravan mover may help.

I have always had solid tyre jockey wheel tyre. This also came with the new jockey wheel. Changing it is straight forward, just get one with the same dimensions.

To be honest it's a good trailer & tows very well.

Post #661576 11th Apr 2023 9:26am
lambo911

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Barolo Black

Hi, I have recently swapped my A-Max open trailer for an RT5 and whilst it is great to have an enclosed trailer it is much heavier and harder work to tow. More like towing a caravan now!

The one challenge has been maneuvering it into it's parking space in the barn as I have to unhitch it and do the last bit by hand. The gap between the axels is bigger than the A-max so there is a lot of drag when turning it.

Fortunately it is a tilt bed so I tilt it up until the front axel is just off the floor and then I use a piece of wood as a lever on the tow hitch to turn it.

I did try just using the jockey wheel to lift the front but that put a lot of strain on it.

I looked into fitting a mover system but they are expensive and I think they would struggle with the weight.

I also fitted a reversing camera which comes in useful now and again. 2016 AB SDV8 Barolo black

Post #661579 11th Apr 2023 10:18am
chugga90

United Kingdom 

From my limited experience with caravan movers.
I saw a genius use one for loading onto a weigh bridge as they could not reverse!
Took ages and was painful to observe.

Get good at reversing, it’s not difficult, even I can do it! It concentrates the mind avoiding hazards and immovable objects! 👍🏽

Post #661591 11th Apr 2023 12:29pm
lambo911

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Barolo Black

It is not always possible to reverse a trailer into some positions no matter how good you are at it Smile , usually because you don't have the room for the tow car to maneuver, 2016 AB SDV8 Barolo black

Post #661592 11th Apr 2023 12:39pm
V8 Bob

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Ipanema Sand

Normally with a twin axle caravan they have two movers working in tandem. I would not recommend trying to move it with the jockey wheel extended and the trailer loaded as they can bend!

I have an open twin axle trailer and generally unload the car lift the front axle off the ground and manage to pull it around manually and pull it into the garage then reload the car….a bit if a faff but it works.

If you fit a motor mover you will have to think where to locate the battery so that it does not interfere with your load space but allows easy access for charging. 2012 tdv8 Westminster arrived Jan 19 gone Dec 23

200 TDi discovery bobtail gone
RR classic v8 bobtail gone
300 tdi Discovery 3 dr gone

Post #661599 11th Apr 2023 1:27pm
Hanwellfields

A huge thank-you for all the advice.

I found the Defender (90) quite "fun" when reversing. As short wheel base meant you had to constantly correct when reversing. Living on a small development, only 7 properties, but it seems more dogs and kids about when I have had the trailer hitched.
It can be fun reversing it backwards into the development at weekends. Laughing

I tend to put the trailer where the blue car is in this photo. Then block it in using one of the cars. Note: Have 2-wheel locks plus hitch lock as been told trailers are so steal'able at the moment

I'm collecting the trailer from the hangar a week Friday. I'll price up the bi-drectional (!) movers but see how I get on with the FFRR.
BTW - Trailer has camera but I forgot to remove the harness when I sold the Defender - Doh!

Current: L322 2011 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE, MB GLB AMG35, Renault Clio R200 Cup

Post #661613 11th Apr 2023 5:17pm
Hanwellfields

lambo911 wrote:

Hi, I have recently swapped my A-Max open trailer for an RT5 and whilst it is great to have an enclosed trailer it is much heavier and harder work to tow. More like towing a caravan now!

The one challenge has been maneuvering it into it's parking space in the barn as I have to unhitch it and do the last bit by hand. The gap between the axels is bigger than the A-max so there is a lot of drag when turning it.

Fortunately it is a tilt bed so I tilt it up until the front axel is just off the floor and then I use a piece of wood as a lever on the tow hitch to turn it.

I did try just using the jockey wheel to lift the front but that put a lot of strain on it.

I looked into fitting a mover system but they are expensive and I think they would struggle with the weight.

I also fitted a reversing camera which comes in useful now and again.

Agree on all counts. Terrific trailers but by their very design they are heavy.
I did try the same thing. When empty you can move with the jockey wheel. When loaded = no chance...
Our drive means the RR is on quite a lot of lock. Hence the look at the motor mover. To reduce the stress on the hitch etc. Current: L322 2011 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE, MB GLB AMG35, Renault Clio R200 Cup

Post #661658 12th Apr 2023 8:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1