Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Correct Operation of Air suspension when parked 2011 TDV8 4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Jookul

Ireland 
Correct Operation of Air suspension when parked 2011 TDV8 4

Hi Guys

My car is a 2011 TDV8 4,4 Vogue with dynamic suspension

I'm trying find to the definitive answer to this question as there seems to be a few different ones coming from here and other forums.

Problem: Air suspension dropping slowly when parked at home. So over the last 41 hrs I have been measuring each corner to see what happens and the summary is I have lost about 30mm of height form the front of the car and about 40mm from the back...and I feel it will keep dropping.

My car is not parked on an even surface I would say each coroner is slightly different by approx. 5-10mm per corner and my two rear tyres have 2-3 mm lest thread depth from the front. BTW my measurements were taken with a tape from the center hub cap to bottom of wheel arch.

The different trains of though seem to be...
1) Your airbags should not loose any hight at all and stay up for weeks once the car is parked and locked
2) Same as 1 above but when you get out of the car it will do some adjustment first.
3) If you park on even the slightest uneven ground the car will periodically try to level itself and if left long enough will drop to the bottom and maybe flatten your battery

Before I go chasing a problem that isn't there, ( as I have others to chase)

Does anyone know the correct way that the level system works when the car is locked and parked for a period of time....

For additional info. I used to have a jag XJ sovereign 2007 (X350 shape) on air and parked it in the same place. I know that it is a different system. but when left in the same space parked at home, the only thing the car would do is, a bit of level when you got out and that was it. It would then stay at that level for weeks, unitl the car was moved again

Post #687423 7th Mar 2024 8:54am
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

You have a leak - most likely a pinhole in one of the front airbags.

The car should behave as per the previous Jag. The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #687424 7th Mar 2024 8:58am
Fla

Ireland 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Jookul

Out of interest when did you buy this car? Reason I ask is I test drove one last year and it drove good, was level when I arrived to test drive but when I used the suspension to raise and lower it sprung a leak. It wasnt a bag leak though it was a valve block leak as both front wheels lowered.

Is your dropping on one side only or both sides? Current yokes
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #687426 7th Mar 2024 9:08am
Jookul

Ireland 

Hi

I only have the car a week so you might be right with the raising and lowering and TBH if lest for 24hrs would not visually notice anything its only when you get into the second day it becomes apparent that the car looks a little lower visually...

I don't have any corner of the car that I can say is obviously drooping, I fell the car is dropping very slowly but evenly across all 4 corners... the the only thing i notice with my measurements is that the front is about 20mm higher then the back and that 20mm difference is consistent as the car lowers there are some threads saying the the actually difference should be 10mm +/- 10mm which means Im just with in the spec....

If I had a leak from one bag I would have thought I see that corner down a lot more then the rest I have read quite a few stories of bags leaking and just the one corner going down

Hence Im trying to see if there any definitive info out there on how it works when parked.

Im not saying I dont have a leak i just would like to undersatnd first before I start investiagting

Post #687432 7th Mar 2024 9:36am
Fla

As I see

Where abouts are you in munster. I'm in kerry but travel to cork most days. We could always put the computer on it and do a recalibration of the suspension and then go from there Current yokes
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #687433 7th Mar 2024 9:40am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

The operation of the suspension system is explained in detail in the workshop manual which you can download from the Wiki section of this site. The behaviour you describe can happed due to an air leak or a faulty height sensor. The easiest way to isolate this is to pull the suspension ECU fuse after you shut down and see what the car does i.e a drop on one corner is a pretty good indication of a leak in that area - bag or pipework. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #687434 7th Mar 2024 9:41am
Jookul

Ireland 

Thanks all for the help.

Fla, I do think a recalibration is in order alright but I have a bit of rear end work to do which I would like to get done first before I recalibrate I'm located in North Cork in the Mallow area.

Just a quick update on the rate of drop. So at the moment it looks like the car has settled, though I say that with apprehension Smile and why i say that is that in the last 6 hours it has not dropped, ie its the same height now as it was six hours ago...So i'll keep an eye on during the day/evening to see what it does....

My working assumption is that if there is a leak, would you not expect it to keep falling... anyway I'll keep you posted

I will look into the manual to read up on the operation.

Post #687456 7th Mar 2024 2:41pm
Fla

I pass through mallow 6 times a week as I head to the City and all over Cork and Kerry for my job so its no bother to meet up with you when you have the work done.

What year and spec is she? Also regarding the leaks, they can be in several places and from what Ive seen in Discos and RR's they can be a permanent leak or an intermittent one but all are repairable. Current yokes
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #687477 7th Mar 2024 7:49pm
will308f

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

hi
i was having a similar issue it turned out to be the seals in the valve blocks,got a rebuild kit for them and been since Thumbs Up 2008 3.6 tdv8 range rover Vogue Stornoway grey - Parchment Leather

Post #687484 7th Mar 2024 8:18pm
Fla

will308f

Is that a difficult job on the Range Rovers or is it the same as the discos where the block is in the wheel well and you have to replace loads of tiny O-rings? Current yokes
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #687509 8th Mar 2024 8:28am
will308f

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

no not at all yea the same front drivers wheel well and rear drivers side wheel well ,what i did also was replace the voss connectors .valve block kit was about £18 from 4x4airseals and the voss connectors from island4x4 for about £7-8 each ,you do get the rubber seals for the voss connectors in with the valve kit but i replaced them and not a any issue with the front or rear dropping overnight like i was getting. Thumbs Up 2008 3.6 tdv8 range rover Vogue Stornoway grey - Parchment Leather

Post #687512 8th Mar 2024 9:44am
Jookul

Ireland 

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the advice....I owe u a bigger post about where II am at the mo which I hope to get to later tonight. But next steps are to pull the fuses that disabled power or any suspension adjustment.... On the 2011 4.4 Tdv8 do you know which fuses I need to pull. I believe they are in the boot.

Fla....thank u for the offer...I may take you up on that in a while. As I do think the car is out of Cal and is not helping the situation.....

Thanks all

Post #687559 8th Mar 2024 6:13pm
Jookul

Ireland 

Hi

So an update, over the last 3-4 days. Tuesday afternoon, I left the car dial and made a series of measurements with a tape measure to see if I could determine if a particular corner might be loosing air. I also had a bit of a read of the information in the workshop manual to see how the air suspension works and I notice one paragraph called wake up mode, which basically says that once you you lock the car, 2 hours after that the car will do a wake-up mode check to check the height and if not within a predetermine tolerance, the car will try and level itself. it will then do this check every 24hrs after that until the car is turned on.

So my assumption is that if you lock the car and it is level it wont do anything at wake up time, if not it will adjust and it can only adjust down...and so begins that cycle. so if you have a slow leak in one corner you could end up with the car dropping, over time and it might look like an even drop across the 4 corners. Mine seems to drop fairly evenly across the 4 corners.

So for debug purposes I took the measurements and below if what i got see the attached image.

So does this tell me anything, i think yes and know. It seems that biggest drops are noted overnight, so is the air temp having an effect, is it out of cal and doing some sort of levelling, or do I still have a leak. If I have a leak why do I not notice any real change in the car during the day, I basically measure the car over 14 hours during yesterday and it didn't drop, the same today over a 6 hr period, no drop and no obvious corner causing a problem, so I am not ruling out a leak but logically at the mo I struggling to believe it is one.

The next steps is to drive the car, park it up and pull the fuses that disable the leveling system... ( i need to figure out what they are)

What I have not mentioned so far is that my rear shock are totally goosed, don't know if this is having an impact, I have new ones ordered and waiting for them to be fitted....

Calibration I think too might be out of whack...

... the journey continues

Post #687578 8th Mar 2024 9:07pm
Jookul

Ireland 

So Guys...

I said Id keep you updated on where I am... So based on the recommendations here and on other forums. I pulled the fuse for the self levelling ECU and left the car to see if I could identify a leak. To do this I drove the car for about 15 mins... came home, parked in its normal place on the driveway and by the time I pulled out the fuse to the ECU it was about 5-10 mins later. I have since left the car form Sat 9th to Tuesday the 13th. So what conclusions have I come to, well allowing for a bit of settling after I parked the car and taking into account my measurement errors. I would say I don't have an air leak. Once it settled it has stayed at that height for the last 4 days.

So what's next well, I have bought myself a code reader and I need to plug it in and see if anything comes up. Also I still need to get some new shocks and rear sub frame bushes in first and see if anything happens

Below are the measurements I took. I took two each time one form the ground and one form the center, again a measure tape was used so all for a small bit of error...measurements are in cm.

Post #688046 14th Mar 2024 7:53am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

If it's not leaking then it's very likley to be a faulty height sensor or calibration drift due to wear of suspension parts. You would be wise to invest in a GAP IID tool...... 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #688047 14th Mar 2024 7:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>