Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Remove centre console to access the gear selector unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Crasher242

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey
Remove centre console to access the gear selector unit

Hello all
This afternoon my trusty Rangie decided it wasn't going to allow me to drive home from the supermarket (Waitrose, so at least it was in good company Smile )
The engine started all fine, and the rotary gear selector popped up, but it refused to budge. Tried several times (turning on and off again etc).
Checked that the brake lights were all working etc.

I've arranged with my breakdown recovery service to get the car recovered back to home in the first instance later this evening (when the shop and the car park is quieter so they can get close to the car), and hopefully I can use the emergency cable release underneath the cup holders to at least get it out of park and into neutral so it can be winched up on to the flat bed.
However, whilst googling away I have not yet come across instructions for how to get access to the control unit. When I've tried searching, I just seem to get back loads of hits on how to remove the control dial itself , which is all well and good if I wanted to change my dial from the standard one to a shiny metal thing...

Anyway, does any one have any links to somewhere that can show me how to get access to the gubbins underneath? I am assuming that something in the control unit has gone awol and is no longer recognising the fact that I have my foot on the brake when trying to engage the gear...

Cheers Current
Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8
Previous highlights
Many Mini's!
Audi S8
Audi A6 Avant (the petrol guzzling Bi-turbo)
Subaru H6 3.0 Estate
Peugeot 406 Coupe V6
Audi 80 Quattro Sport

Post #665225 27th May 2023 4:09pm
PhillV8s

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

Does this help?
 2013 SDV8 4.4 Vogue SE Aintree Green
2005 Maserati Gransport Giallo Grantourismo

Post #665231 27th May 2023 4:54pm
Crasher242

Other than the language that does indeed provide a good view on how to get at it Thumbs Up

Whether I can then disassemble the unit to get inside it is another matter, but lets get it out first. Current
Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8
Previous highlights
Many Mini's!
Audi S8
Subaru H6 3.0 Estate
Peugeot 406 Coupe V6
Audi 80 Quattro Sport

Post #665249 27th May 2023 7:23pm
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

I agree it is informative don't need the language to understand what to do. Thumbs Up 2017 SDV8 4.4 silicon silver AB
2012 TDV8 4.4 Stornaway Grey AB
2011 TDV8 4.4 Buckingham Blue
2012 VW V6 3.0 Tougreg

Post #665273 28th May 2023 7:25am
Crasher242

So I thought I would come back to this to report on my bank holiday Monday efforts to rip the interior of my car apart Smile
The video as linked in the earlier post by Pillv8s was helpful for most of it. Whilst he had videoed most of the steps involved, there were some steps that were not covered in the video that he had either missed in the edit, or had simply described (in a language I could not understand).
However, after several hours (and some swearing) I did eventually get the part removed.

Click image to enlarge

And filled my boot up with all the bits that I had removed in order to get to it

What that doesn't show is the fact that along with all those parts (and the relevant screws and clips etc), the whole of the central console had to be lifted and moved back a good foot or so just to get enough clearance for the panel to open up to allow access to the retaining screws. Just hope nothing got broken in the process of that.

I found a company online (ECU Testers) that will repair/refurbish the transmission control unit (as I really don't want to attempt it myself) so its being packed off today and hopefully will have it back in 4-5 days.

I only hope that when I come to put it all back together again, I don't end up with any bits left over Laughing Current
Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8
Previous highlights
Many Mini's!
Audi S8
Subaru H6 3.0 Estate
Peugeot 406 Coupe V6
Audi 80 Quattro Sport

Post #665469 30th May 2023 11:30am
jaysta10k

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Hi mine has just decided to pack up also gear selector rises but stuck in park just to add more spice to it the recalibrate EPB yellow light is on and off also!! fault code on IID
GSM-Gear Shift

GSM-Gear Shift

P176C-11 (2Cool Transmission range selector lock control error - General electrical failure - circuit short to ground

These modules brand new vary in price cheapest is £300 to £750 how long did it take you to do it as my car is being recovered and might have to be dropped at stealers. Would attempt myself but just haven’t got the time at minute.
Cheers
Jay Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 SVO Stying Pack
Audi A4 2.7 TDI S Line Black Edition phantomn black
Previous Cars
Range Rover Vogue SE Overfinch Styling 22" Elara's full black stealth colour coded
Java black Range Rover sport 2.7 TDV6
Alaska white Range Rover sport overfinch 3.6 TDV8
BMW M3 Carbon Black

Post #665510 31st May 2023 7:39am
Crasher242

I'd say it took me a good 5-6 hours in total to extract it from the vehicle. Mind you, i was following the video linked by PillV8s and had to keep going back and forth over some of the bits just to make sure i was doing it correctly.

I'll guess that an experienced tech at the dealer may know how to take apart the centre console and so complete the job quicker.

I had not seen any units for sale, hence why i am going down the refurb route (booked in online and awaiting collection via DHL today) - the refurb will cost me £300 Current
Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8
Previous highlights
Many Mini's!
Audi S8
Subaru H6 3.0 Estate
Peugeot 406 Coupe V6
Audi 80 Quattro Sport

Post #665533 31st May 2023 10:32am
jaysta10k

Cheers for this yeah I seen a few companies offering refurb local Steelers have them in stock at £750 just shopping around now for prices.
Cheers Jay Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 SVO Stying Pack
Previous Cars
Range Rover Vogue SE Overfinch Styling 22" Elara's full black stealth colour coded
BMW M3 Carbon Black

Post #665546 31st May 2023 11:23am
Crasher242

I thought I would circle back to this to provide a happy update.

I sent my Transmission Control Module off to ECU Testing Limited. Their website allows you to register the fault and book in the unit for servicing, and it automated a DHL collection service.
They kept me informed at all stages (receipt, repair, dispatch) and I received back the refurbished unit within the week.
Last night I finally got away from work with enough time to allow me to fit, and re-assemble the car interior and am happy to report that all works well (and more importantly, no spare parts left over Laughing )

I have no affiliation with ECU Testing other than being a very happy customer who is very happy to have his car back on the road Thumbs Up

Total cost of repair was £319.80 (including VAT and shipping) plus about 9 hours of my own time to take apart/re-assemble. Current
Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8
Previous highlights
Many Mini's!
Audi S8
Subaru H6 3.0 Estate
Peugeot 406 Coupe V6
Audi 80 Quattro Sport

Post #666159 8th Jun 2023 10:21am
jaysta10k

Hi mate going attempt this at weekend you say whole centre console had to be moved back doesn't show this in video they just undo the screws near the top and able the top console open and hold it up with a screw driver. Did you take off the console under the temperature dials it doesn't show how to do this in video.
Cheers
Previous Cars
BMW M3 Carbon Black

Post #667291 22nd Jun 2023 9:21am
Crasher242

Hi

Yes, I had to remove the temp control panel as the cup holder sliding cover (when extended) would not clear the panel. It was a bit of a Censored to do.
Another thing not clear in the video is the emergency transmission release handle - he shows removing the screw that holds it down, but I found that the handle itself interfered with the lifting of the centre console, so I had to push the whole emergency release handle down below its location below the cup holders.

One final thing - the video shows the popping of the 2 clips at the front of the centre console as being easy to pop off - these were Censored to do in the end - I had to use 2 levers on each to prise the thing apart.
Cheers Current
Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8
Previous highlights
Many Mini's!
Audi S8
Subaru H6 3.0 Estate
Peugeot 406 Coupe V6
Audi 80 Quattro Sport

Post #667293 22nd Jun 2023 9:29am
jaysta10k

Hi yes I have already removed a few bits the temp control panel silver side trims panel that surrounds the touch screen I was refering to just below the temp control panel the centre console goes right under neath it but the video skips the removal of this was it straightforward to remove just Torx screws etc.
Cheers
Previous Cars
BMW M3 Carbon Black

Post #667294 22nd Jun 2023 9:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1