Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > L405 Front Lower Arms Replacement - ball joint splitter tool
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey
L405 Front Lower Arms Replacement - ball joint splitter tool

Decided to replace the FLA’s on our fullfat this week.
Got all the bits from Advanced Factors on here.
Set to it last weekend but no matter what I tried, the ball joints would just not crack.
Did a lot of Googling for the JLR tool or copies, but nothing suitable available quickly enough, i.e. before my week off was up, then I found THIS: US PRO Hydraulic & Manual Ball Joint Splitter 12 Ton Heavy Duty Kit 6029
Ordered on off eBay, £77.90 from Tools2UDirectSW including express delivery and it arrived today, hell it’s huge!
Soon had the car up on stands, wheels off and removed stone guards for access.
I can confirm the tool will fit the joint albeit slightly too large across the fork. It easily removed the first joint in a minute or so just using the screw pin, in fact the lower arm itself gets in the way of things making it impossible to use the hydraulic cylinder. I did have the arm tied up with a ratchet strap after removing the front bolt, so that may not have helped. Doing the other side tomorrow, so will try to post some pictures up on here. Great bit of kit for the money if you want to have a go doing your own.
I found it tricky getting the front bolt back in, i.e. getting the holes aligned, -took ages but managed it eventually, -any tips for doing this faster? More soon! “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Last edited by Gremlin500 on 1st Jun 2023 11:33pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #665677 1st Jun 2023 10:26pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

They are next level arn't they! Banging Head

Post #665683 1st Jun 2023 11:06pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Just had a look at it on eBay, yep, that'll get the job done...!!! Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #665684 1st Jun 2023 11:09pm
Gremlin500

Sorry all, it was Amazon I got it from, due to faster delivery possible.
Yes, it’s a very substantial bit of kit for less than half the price of the “official” tool…. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #665685 1st Jun 2023 11:25pm
Gremlin500

Quick pic:

Click image to enlarge
 “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #665686 1st Jun 2023 11:30pm
grayst01

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I’m currently looking at renewing all front suspension parts on my 2012 L322 and with the ball joints being a known ‘issue’ does anyone know if this tool would also be usable for the 322? I have been looking at having the local indy doing this for me solely down to the horror stories with the ball joints… thanks in advance Thumbs Up Cheers, Steven.

2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8.

Post #665732 2nd Jun 2023 2:21pm
Gremlin500

Successfully completed today:

Click image to enlarge

You need a good 350mm pry bar with curved blade to get the banjo end lined up with the holes to get the front bolt in. I used a little 2Te trolley jack on wood blocks to support and push the banjo end then eased it around with a pry bar to get the holes aligned. Requires patience & persistence. Also good to file the cr*p & oxidation off the insides of the chassis bracket and apply a little lithium grease to allow the central alloy bush to slide between the faces easily. The banjo end tends to twist slightly when the ball joint end is tightened, meaning the central alloy bushing in the rubber is not parallel within the chassis bracket faces, so easy to chew into the alloy bracket faces or bushing faces.
A good handheld light and a little mirror are essential to “see” what’s going on inside the bolt holes to get the holes lined up properly. Jack up, pry down, and you’ll probably need to pry the new banjo backwards by jamming something in front of it (hammer handle) and prybarring it rearwards. I did wonder if my aftermarket bars were too long, but its just the way the suspension moves with all the jacking etc. Persistence and patience required in spades!

The above tool is superb, built like a brick sh*thouse, sadly can’t confirm if will fit L322, sorry! “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #665777 2nd Jun 2023 9:38pm
Gremlin500

Some pics with dimensions to help L322 owners decide

Hi, I thought the following pics may be useful in helping others make a decision whether or not to purchase this tool. My verdict is, it’s a shame the hydraulic ram didn’t go on the bottom arm, rather than from the top, however its such a strong tool even just using the supplied screw gets the job done in seconds:

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #666238 9th Jun 2023 11:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1