Home > General (L405) > 2018-2020 SDV8 AB - New Buyer - On the hunt
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
W00lyCh3f

United Kingdom 
2018-2020 SDV8 AB - New Buyer - On the hunt

Hi,

So to caveat this thread, I'm yet to purchase a new vehicle. I actually found this forum, by a post on Piston Heads, whilst researching L405's. Essentially saying, this is the place to be for info. So here I am, ready to be a sponge and learn before making the plunge into 405 ownership.

I'm currently driving a X5 M50D, which we've had since new. But I fancy a change and the state of the current market, I won't be buying new. The depreciation is ridiculous, compounded by everyone hiking prices up on new vehicles.

When we bought the X5, we had a £20k saving on list and a stupidly low interest rate. It was a no brainer and was a swap for our then X3 M40D as we needed more space. Now the time has come for a change and I'm wanting something a little more "wafty" for long trips. Having drove a colleagues 2017 L405, I really enjoyed the experience.

From my research, I've narrowed my engine choice to a 4.4 SDV8 and ideally Autobiography trim. Whilst I'd love an SVAutobiography 5litre petrol, I don't think I could live with the sub 20mpg. (someone tell me I'm wrong).

For a budget, I'm looking in the region of £50k - £55k. Looking online at the ads, there appears to be an awful lot sitting around at the moment.

Insurance has obviously been the big thing that worried me initially, however after quoting against registrations of cars (same age / spec that I'm looking at), it's only about £100 more than my existing premium, which was surprising given the horror stories.

Reliability was my next worry, however given the BMW has hardly been great on that front and reading the posts here, it doesn't appear as bad as the press claim etc, I feel it's more of a be aware, have capital to resolve issues, but enjoy it.

So that leaves me to what I think I'm struggling with. What to look out for when on the hunt for the right car. Is there anything I should be checking when looking at cars available. Is dealer approved used worth it over good independents (Redline/Saxton etc).

Warranty, what's worth it and what's not worth it.

Finally, what have I missed, what's going to bite my arse and give me headaches?

Cheers in advance.

Will

P.S my second option was a RRS (2020/2021), but I'm not convinced and haven't driven one yet. Albeit the wife prefers them.

Post #680733 19th Dec 2023 12:12pm
Arch Stanton

England 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Hi wooly

I may be selling mine in the new year, I dont want to but I may have to in order to comply with the company car policy of not being older than 6yrs old. It's been mega for me and I will be replacing with something exactly the same but a few grand more expensive on a newer plate (mine is a 2018MY, SDV8 AB). Bought as an approved used, will have 12 months of their warranty left, just passed its Mot, its to be service in Jan, new tyres later this week.

I'm in south Cheshire so arranging a meet should be easy enough if you're interested.

Kev

First time FFRR owner

Post #680751 19th Dec 2023 3:06pm
W00lyCh3f

United Kingdom 

@Arch

if you do decide to sell, please drop me a message. As yours is a lovely looking car.

I've been trawling the wiki on here, trying to find as much info as possible whilst also trawling the likes of autotrader.

It amazes how long some are sitting for before being sold, especially those in the likes of the 5litre SVA's

I've seen a few mentioned of roof leaking causing insurance write-offs? In some threads, mentions of searching for topics, but I can't find anything (maybe my searching) a detailed write up on it?

Post #680760 19th Dec 2023 6:15pm
Arch Stanton

I'll keep you updated Wooly, I'm hoping I dont have to so will keep my mouth shut and see if the automated systems at work flag it up. I've only been with the company since February so not sure how strict they are on it. They were very keen on flagging up when insurance and MOT were due, I'm hoping this can slip by though. I'll probably know mire at the beginning of Feb when its about 1 month prior to being 6yo (and annoyingly for me if I have to sell, when the RFL goes down significantly)

Kev First time FFRR owner

Post #680800 20th Dec 2023 9:44am
W00lyCh3f

United Kingdom 

With it being Christmas (yes I'm writing this on Christmas eve, currently stuck on the sofa as the wife catches up on her "must watch Christmas tv), I thought I'd catch up on my research.

Firstly, it's looking like the prices are still coming down, which is a positive whilst looking, but the market in general is not looking great (all cars I mean, not sure RR).

The question at hand is, do all AB cars post 2018, come with 360 degree cameras for parking? I'm struggling to find a confirmation through PDF spec sheets, as the spec doc I keep coming up with is a MY19 doc.

Post #681148 24th Dec 2023 11:16pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Yes, the 18MY Autobiography has the Surround Camera System as standard.

Post #681153 25th Dec 2023 2:42am
Stuart-

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black
Re: 2018-2020 SDV8 AB - New Buyer - On the hunt

W00lyCh3f wrote:
Hi,
Is dealer approved used worth it over good independents (Redline/Saxton etc).

Warranty, what's worth it and what's not worth it.

When I bought mine about a year ago, I looked all over and ended up getting a pretty decent deal at Sytner Sheffield (actually a BMW dealer but they can source anywhere in the Sytner group) for an approved used. They have their own warranty which isn't that expensive, but limited to £4k per claim.

I was so impressed with the salesman (Steve Vickers) and the experience generally, that I just got a Velar from him for my wife. And they even took 2 pxs as well. Again, I got a pretty decent deal with no faffing or mooching up and down the country looking at dogs. They delivered it to the house on a trailer and took the pxs away - it was all painless.

Buying from an established member here would probably be my first choice, but I'd go with them second. 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography in black
2018 D300 SE Velar in champagne
Spiffing wheel centre caps available

Post #681207 26th Dec 2023 4:51pm
BigJock2005

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography Black 5.0 V8 Sumatra Black

Arch Stanton wrote:
I'll keep you updated Wooly, I'm hoping I dont have to so will keep my mouth shut and see if the automated systems at work flag it up. I've only been with the company since February so not sure how strict they are on it. They were very keen on flagging up when insurance and MOT were due, I'm hoping this can slip by though. I'll probably know mire at the beginning of Feb when its about 1 month prior to being 6yo (and annoyingly for me if I have to sell, when the RFL goes down significantly)

Kev

Just watch you don't inadvertently breach some clause in a contract which invalidates something else! Could end up with a right unwanted pain situation!

Post #681259 27th Dec 2023 7:16pm
Arch Stanton

What kind of thing do you have in mind Jock? First time FFRR owner

Post #681283 28th Dec 2023 2:28am
BigJock2005

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography Black 5.0 V8 Sumatra Black

For example, if you’re getting a monthly payment for using your own vehicle instead of a company car, and 6 months down the line they realise your motor is older than it should be, they might want the cash back. Or suppose you break down and are late for a job or meeting or something and they note the vehicle age then you might get a verbal. Don’t know your employer but if they’re tough on stuff like this you just want to avoid. It’ll all be in your contract. I am a cynical chap.

Post #681328 28th Dec 2023 3:36pm
Arch Stanton

Ah right with you. My gaffer is pretty chilled so if I miss something then he wont get grumpy but I may even elect to come out of the car allowance scheme if it becomes an issue as what I'd have to outlay to get a newer FFRR would be double the annual allowance. I'm rather lucky that having retired from my main career I currently work because I enjoy it, I wouldn't enjoy the miles I do if it wasnt in a FFRR. First time FFRR owner

Post #681340 28th Dec 2023 5:58pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

FYI not all SVA's are petrols sir... I own a quite rare 4.4SDV8 LWB 4 seater SVAutobiography Black Series. So comes with 100% leather covering (no plastic trim anywhere) sliding boot floor (in wood) 2 rear seats with electric deployable tables, champagne cooler and glass rack. Rear entertainment in factory fitted tablet form. So much bigger than headrest size. Rear side window electric blinds, etc etc etc etc...
So when looking, the badges on the boot have a red or black square at the end... I believe this denotes Red for Dynamic which have diamond stitched seats and are sporty & denote 5.0 petrol engines only. The black badge or "Black series" denotes more of a luxury orientation... These are available in both 5.0 and 4.4SDV8

Hope this helps with your searching sir... Thumbs Up

Post #681355 28th Dec 2023 8:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1