Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Secondary oil pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Shaunj69

England 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
Secondary oil pump

Good morning you all.

I have just a few questions about the 2nd oil pump?
I have a 2011 4.4 tdv8 and i call it my 007 bond car, as Yes its a smoker at 2 1/2 thou rev.

I have seen on FB someone talking about the 2nd oil pump (salvage pump), the one that is part of the vacuum pump. And he was saying that if that pump has ware then the pump can not suck up the oil in the rear oil pan, and so the oil from the 2nd turbo can not drain correctly so it builds up in the oil out let allowing the turbo seal to leak into the cold side (compressor). So to my question:-

1 What is this rear oil pan for and what else drains into it?
2 Can it be modified so the oil can drain into the main sump?

I was looking at getting a new pump, but at around the £500 mark, plus seeing as the vacuum side is in good working order, i am a little reluctant to buy.

I would be very interested in you comments as i have been looking at getting the turbo mode done but at @ £1,000.00p and no car for a week, maybe this could be something i could sort myself.

I do use it as my daily driver, and no i don't have a lot of chance to get it above the 2 and a half thuo, But yes ever now and again i will give it a blast, but it is a little embarrassing the amount of smog it throws out. Plus i can hear all the drivers behind me saying "typical land rover"

I look forward to all your thoughts on this. Whistle L322 TDV8 2011 Autobiography
Working for an OE aftermarket car parts suppler

Post #669301 18th Jul 2023 8:01am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Separate oil pan is to stop oil not draining from turbo when on steep ground.
If you take the engine out and dismantle it I assume it could be removed
Just exercise the 2nd turbo more frequently and it's usually enough to not be a problem. Mine used to be a bad smoker but isn't anymore so it may go away on it's own (esp with frequent oil changes?).
Unless it's throwing out blue smoke, causing oil loss and there are rattles and 'misfires' from the engine when it does it I'd leave it alone.
If you are worried what other drivers think you are driving the wrong car. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #669302 18th Jul 2023 8:43am
Shaunj69

Hi JayGee

No its not blue smoke just white/grey.

As for exercising the 2nd turbo, i would love to but as i live in Bristol it can be a bit hard.

But thanks for you input L322 TDV8 2011 Autobiography

Post #669303 18th Jul 2023 8:55am
garyRR

United Kingdom 

This is well-covered in the article here: https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic40047-180.html

Land Rover acknowledged the fault and released a Technical Service Bulletin and a drain modification kit which solves the issue for most people. I understand the job is quite expensive though and lucky ones got it done under warranty, however if you want to proceed, Green Oval are the people to do the job.

Oil has been discussed also, with varying results. For instance, I use the Petronas 5000 FJ oil and am convinced smoking is noticeably reduced vs when i used Valvoline. Other members however still experience the issue and have used oils by Shell and Smith and Allan. So, the jury is out on that one.

Re the vacuum pump, one of the forum members has rebuilt his pump and is currently testing to confirm. No trade secrets on what to do are being shared at this time. If it is this (some members may find they require both a drain mod and a pump rebuild), the pump is right at the top of the engine bay (top left of the block as you face the engine) and easy to remove.

Finally, aside from the embarrassment, smoking above 2,300rpm is normal on this engine whilst oil residue gets ejected and burned off through the exhaust, and is no cause for concern. Even at slow speeds, you can put the gearbox into sport or manual in order to get the engine revs high enough for a few seconds (but obviously only do this once up to operating temperature). 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Last edited by garyRR on 18th Jul 2023 9:01am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #669304 18th Jul 2023 8:56am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

If it's just grey it's not leaking into the compressor (cold) side and it's just oil evaporating in the hot exhaust which is how most people experience this issue. Save you money to spend on the ULEZ or don't rev past 2400rpm - I've managed to drive months without needing the 2nd turbo.... 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #669305 18th Jul 2023 8:58am
Shaunj69

As for the ULEZ in bristol, my car is exempt lol sorry L322 TDV8 2011 Autobiography

Post #669312 18th Jul 2023 9:21am
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Hopefully you saw my post Shaun and linked thread where there's been a recent discussion on the vacuum pump (and long running discussion on turbo drain mod). 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #669313 18th Jul 2023 9:23am
Shaunj69

Hi Gary

Yes i have mate and yes i am looking at it now.

Thanks L322 TDV8 2011 Autobiography

Post #669314 18th Jul 2023 9:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1