Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Coolant issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stoich

Scotland 
Coolant issues

Recently had car in independent for new alternator and water pump (see my post 'Horrible Noise). Returned to him last friday with small coolant leak, which he repaired.
Now i feel that something is not right. Top off radiator is roasting bottom is cold after running for about 2- 3 miles (new radiator last december). Elec fan not running. Have tried bleeding as per RAVE.
Garage reckons I have faulty temp sensor as engine temp = 105 deg, radiator 35deg.
Gear changes at higher revs also (gearbox overheating?)
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks If you like it, who cares what other people think

Post #72997 19th Jul 2011 7:23pm
M44K TS

England 

Not sure how right this is, but that sounds like an airlock to me. I had similar with a Volvo 850 T5, ended up emptying the cooling system and starting again. 2006 Mercedes CLS
1991 Retro-style Mini
But really finding it hard to fight the urge for a S/C...

Post #73004 19th Jul 2011 7:41pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

what car you got?

if its a bmw engine then according to my son some do run hot on top and cold at the bottom.

Post #73010 19th Jul 2011 8:11pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

If it's a 4.4 then mine is red hot at the top an cool at the bottom. I'm sure the flow is top to bottom. It's not unheard of for them to run in the 100's temp wise. AndrewT has had an issue an his was round the 115C and was told that's ok so wouldn't be to concerned. Do you have any other problems? [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]
04, 4.4V8, Vogue Oslo Blue with LPG.
"You can sleep in your car, BUT you can't race your house!!!!"

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #73029 19th Jul 2011 9:42pm
AndrewT

New Zealand 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

I was indeed told that it wasn't too much of a problem running at 110-112 per the onboard computer. However, a fault code was showing so on Monday I had two nice new shiny thermostats fitted, mechanical and electrical.

It now runs at 106-108 which I'm personally a bit more comfortable with as I know that there is some tolerance built in now. The temp gauge is balanced between 75 and 114 so anything up to 114 could therefore be considered ok, although if you are always nearer the top end you have less room for movement so a slight increase could be a problem and you could spend half your life watching the gauge in terror.

The top of the radiator should be considerably hotter than the bottom or it wouldn't be doing its job.

Having said that it does sound as though you might have the same problem as I had. Get it plugged in and see if there is a fault code on the sender. This won't show up on your dashboard.

If your car is getting on a bit then the thermostats probably do need replacing. Over the last few years mine has had everything replaced except the thermostats so there wasn't much else left to go wrong.

Edit: Have a look here for some technical info on the cooling system http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic6392.html

Post #73228 21st Jul 2011 1:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1