Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Nexen M&S tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Adrian 15

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey
Nexen M&S tyres

Does anyone know if Nexen M&S tyres are worth a punt on a L322 with 20” rims, they have a sensible write up and the supplier talks the talk but has anyone used them? I have been running Pirelli’s since I’ve had the car so should I stick with them. Any advice would be much appreciated Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Post #670118 30th Jul 2023 6:34pm
RiverBlanche

England 

Hi,

not used them, are they Winter rated with the 3PMSF (snow flake) Question

If I was after an M&S tyre I would also want it to be Winter rated.

Thumbs Up

Post #670119 30th Jul 2023 6:53pm
Adrian 15

These are Roadian HP XL and they are mud and snow approved
They have a lifetime warranty against damage however it occurs, I struggle to believe this bit. Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Post #670122 30th Jul 2023 6:59pm
philip1972

France 2006 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

I used some Nexen winters on my Merc E class. I was very pleased with them. 12 inches of snow in the Alps and it kept going.

Post #670126 30th Jul 2023 8:07pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Had them on a couple of other cars, very happy with them.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #670131 30th Jul 2023 10:04pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Pirelli's are LR approved and tested. Likely due to the extra weight they need to handle. They also last a long time so any initial savings you make with the Nexens may be negated by a shorter life. For mainly road use all year round why risk anything other than what LR and 99% of L322 drivers have ? 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #670135 31st Jul 2023 7:49am
SoggyBottoms

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue Supercharged Zambezi Silver

I had them on my car and was nervous of them.

they seemed to have really soft and flexible sidewalls that bent in going over or parking on kerbs.

I swapped them for Pirelli's. which seem totally reliable and trouble free

Post #670139 31st Jul 2023 9:08am
appj62

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

My Nexen Rodians have plenty of tread left after 35,000 miles. Previous cars:
S-Max 2007-2013 (only diesel I've had, good car but expensive when diesely bits go wrong, so what's the point?)
Galaxy 2001-2007
Mondeo Estate 1997-2001
Sierra Estate 1993-1997
Uno Turbo 1987 -1993
Fiesta 1984 - 1987
Fiat 127 1982 - 1984

Post #670151 31st Jul 2023 12:27pm
Ennoch

The thing with SUV tyres is that they need to be tough. The thing with winter tyres is that they need to be more flexible in colder weather to maximise performance on low grip surfaces. And somewhere in between there's a crossover point at which the tradeoffs of one start to overhaul the tradeoffs of the other, and somewhere around this you'll find the tyre that works for you. My dad's got an Evoque and for this reason we opted to fit the GY UltraGrip Performance+ rather than the Pirelli Scorpion Winter (the car equiv is the Sottozero 3) as it's not a particularly heavy car, and my dad doesn't do that much dirt track stuff with it; i.e the icy road performance was the most important bit. Some manufacturer approved tyres are brilliant because they focus on performance/handling etc, while others simply focus on mileage, MPG or some other element that isn't necessarily the focus of the aftermarket buyer. The LR spec tyres seem to get a good review but that doesn't mean other stuff isn't going to be decent too. And, despite not actively choosing budget brands, there are a few which have actually surprised me. My old SWB Sprinter had Kings Tyres remoulds on it and they were the best tyres I ever had on it. They gripped well, were predictable on wet roads and were great fun for powering off roundabouts even with only 80bhp! Anything else I fitted to that thing felt skittish in comparison and didn't actually offer any extra grip in return. Similarly my first TD6 had a set of Roadstone's on it and they were absolutely fine for daily use. They'd have been no use off road as they were performance tyre lookalikes, but they were stable, sure footed and never gave me any desire to bother with using anything else (I had a set of 18" AT's for winter). The weight of the Range Rover definitely helps with grip so as long as the tread compound isn't too soft, and the sidewalls are capable of supporting the weight of the car, then unless you're hooning it everywhere most stuff will work reasonably well.

All that said, personally, I'd say that if you can afford it then going for the Pirelli's are the better bet. However, if that eats into the budget to look after other areas of the car as well as you'd like then I'd go for the Nexen option, after all the difference in cost is close to the cost of all the fluids to give the thing a full engine and driveline service!

Post #670156 31st Jul 2023 3:59pm
JayGee

Sidewall stiffness for off road use and support for a heavier than normal vehicle is not the same thing as tyre compound compliance. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #670158 31st Jul 2023 4:19pm
Ennoch

Absolutely not, but if you look at any winter tyre aside from RFT's, they're softer sidewalled to reduce the risk of flat spots from sitting in cold weather, and to aid suppleness, which in turn leads to increased grip as the peak loads experienced by the tyre reduces when going over uneven road surfaces. I was heavily involved in MTB tyre development with a few big manufacturers when I was sponsored by them which was great as I had a lot of geeky conversations with a good number of their engineers who worked across a number of their projects. I was always more interested in their motorsport stuff than their bike tyres to be honest (I can own up to that now)! Laughing

Post #670159 31st Jul 2023 4:30pm
RiverBlanche

England 

Adrian 15 wrote:
Roadian HP XL and they are mud and snow approved

Hi,

but they don't look to be Winter rated though no 3MPSF marking,

life is a compromise so it depends what your wanting from a tyre, that's why asking 4 peeps which is the best tyre and you will get 5 answers.

try to decide what's best for you and your needs

Thumbs Up

Post #670180 31st Jul 2023 9:09pm
JayGee

There is no real divergence of opinion amongst most L322 owners that the best tyre for year round road use is from Pirelli. The only real discussion comes about when someone wants to do some serious off roading / overlanding where a tread to deal with mud and grass is needed and a compromised road performance ( wet braking) is accepted. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #670192 1st Aug 2023 7:51am
Adrian 15

Thank you everyone for your input, you all make interesting reading. I have come to the conclusion that Pirelli’s seem to be the best choice. I will have a word with my tyre company and see what they can do. Cheers Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Post #670331 2nd Aug 2023 6:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1