Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Is Rock Oil the OEM for power steering fluid?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lschwarcz

United States 2009 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Bournville
Is Rock Oil the OEM for power steering fluid?

Hi everyone,

I'm preparing to flush/replace my power steering fluid. The specs show the correct fluid is Land Rover STC50519.

When I ordered some from a local mail-order shop (they get their parts from the local Land Rover dealer about a block away) they sent me the Rock Oil PS fluid with a sticker on it with the LR part number.

Click image to enlarge

I was expecting to get a bottle that was actually labeled as an Official Land Rover part like this:

Click image to enlarge

I sent them an e-mail asking why they sent me an aftermarket product when I ordered the OEM part and this is their reply.

Quote:

Rock Oil is the manufacturer of the OEM fluid and currently Land Rover is only supplying us with this fluid in this bottle while they wait on their official packaging.

I've checked all over but can't find any reference to Rock Oil being the OEM for Land Rover. I'm thinking what they sent should be fine but I'm still confused about which is the correct OEM product.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Is Rock Oil now the OEM for Land Rover?

Thanks!
Larry. 2009 Range Rover L322 Autobiography
Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #672069 26th Aug 2023 7:52pm
Ennoch

Manufacturers change suppliers quite regularly based on who provides the cheapest price for the spec. If it came from an LR dealer I wouldn't worry. In fact as long as it's compatible with the seals on the LR system, I'd use any fluid in there. There are only a few cars I've ever had and worked on where you can tell the difference between PAS fluids, and these have been highly modified cars with stiffer racks using OEM pumps that basically overwork the fluid.

FWIW the LR dealer in Inverness fitted pattern front springs to my dad's car as they couldn't get genuine so I suspect their supply chain issues are fairly multi faceted and unlikely to be solved any time soon. Rock Oil probably weren't the supplier ten or more years ago but if the oil fits the spec then LR will happily stick the sticker on the bottle and run with it. Rock Oil is generally good stuff though, we used to use their stuff for rebuilding dampers and it was one of the more consistent fluids when you put it on the dyno and worked it to high temps.

Post #672072 26th Aug 2023 10:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1