Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Steering Adjustment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Nylands

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Zambezi Silver
Steering Adjustment

Morning All

I need help with this one. I had a new steering sensor fitted after their diagnostic test at my local ind. garage a couple of weeks ago, and all the warning messages have disappeared. So far so good, however I found a problem at the weekend in that the steering wheel was adjustable up and down as normal but not in and out however. without a great deal of noise.

The mechanic asked me yesterday if i wanted him to take the plastic off, presumably the dash parts and lubricate the motor? As I'm going to be away for a week asked him to make me appointment and send me an email in order to sort it, as it worked perfectly before, no problem

Does anyone have some knowledge of how the steering column actually works as i find his suggestion it's the motor causing the noise if it does in fact rise and fall OK without any noise?? Is he therefore not accepting any responsibility for his work after an all in cost of £801 and that there are in fact two motors involved? Big Cry Big Cry

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Dave

Post #672305 30th Aug 2023 8:40am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

My steering adjustment stopped working but it turned out to be a CCF change I had made in error. During the investigation I came across youtube video's of failed motors and mechanisms which seem likley to be your issue if it's noisy. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #672307 30th Aug 2023 9:28am
Nylands

Noisey steering adjustment

Thanks JayGee for your response. I'll get it booked in and checked but I as the whole unit was taken out to fit a new angle sensor I suspect the problem has arisen when refitting to the car. Surely everything should have been checked before handing back to the owner?

Post #672321 30th Aug 2023 2:02pm
vs322

Greece 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Seems like something got inadvertently messed up during the SAS replacement.
There should be no need to mess with the tilt and reach motors during the procedure.
My guess would be that they placed the heavy column resting with the reach (in-out) guide against the edge of the lower dash thus ever so slightly bending it.
Your indy should absolutely make it right at no additional cost to you. Insist on that and don't take "no" for an answer.

See below how this could happen :

I made sure the column rested on a strong part, specifically on the lock ECU casing, with some cushioning too.

Post #672466 1st Sep 2023 8:16am
Nylands

Steering adjustment

Many thanks vs322,
Great to have confirmation of their error and the probable cause of how they managed it. I will make sure they understand their liability to make good the fault at their expense when they have it back in.

Nice to have some backup and thanks again. Mechanic asked me if I wanted him to grease the motor?

Thumbs Up

Post #672534 2nd Sep 2023 8:49am
vs322

The entire jack screw is greased. Not sure of the grease though. I would insist they thoroughly cleaned the old grease prior applying the fresh one.

Good luck!

Post #672536 2nd Sep 2023 9:44am
Nylands

Thanks Again for your help!

Post #672545 2nd Sep 2023 10:16am
vs322

Glad to be of assistance Thumbs Up

Post #672546 2nd Sep 2023 10:17am
Nylands

Steering Adustment

From bad to worse I'm afraid but hopeful an answer will be in sight. After the SAS was changed the adjustment fault became apparent but the car was little used until the wheel alignment that was necessary was rectified. ATS here were very helpful.
A trip to Devon however gave the Range Rover the opportunity to throw up all the flashing warning messages once again? It's booked in again on Tuesday after the noisy steering in and out was noticed and giving me the opportunity to point this out and see if I can get any answers. Prior to any garage involvement, the error messages disappeared on switch off and would only reappear after a bit of a run again.
With a complete set of warning images shown on the dash it prompted me to request their diagnostic checks and quote me accordingly. Could it be that it was not the Steering Angle Sensor at fault but something else? Why would a safety issue warning come and go at whim?

Any thoughts anyone and my thanks to all in advance.

Post #673067 10th Sep 2023 8:42am
vs322

What exactly are the warning lights and messages appearing?

Post #673076 10th Sep 2023 12:41pm
Nylands

Steering etc.

Hi vs322
Thanks for coming back to me.

Although I have a phone picture of the dash in flashing mode I have been unable to add it here, as you managed. This shows a yellow triangle image underneath which states ;
HDC Not Available
Also there is (! brake image). (a stability issue image) (a seat belt image)

The ii Gap TOOL list here list "ABS-Brake Module" along with other dubious faults such as drivers door, pass door etc.
The ABS one ----- " CI B00-64 (AB) Steering angle sensor- AI signal plausibility failure"

i hope this makes sense to you as it leaves me in head spin, other than that I have a problem. There is a message when its in flashing mode that you can continue to drive but with care??

Any help to you? I can at least prove to the mechanic here that its more than a greasing issue!

Thanks vs322

Post #673081 10th Sep 2023 2:10pm
vs322

Let's start from the easier ones. Did they program the new SAS with the car's VIN number? And if so, did they perform a calibration? Although never done it, to know what it actually entails, I think you can "renew" the SAS from the IID tool menu and I'm certain you can calibrate the SAS from the same menu.

I assume your air suspension would be inactive as well. But the car will be self-leveling still.

If the brake warning sign is red, your ABS could be inactive. Is the speedometer / odometer working?

I would still drive the car to the workshop but very carefully as it is.

Post #673082 10th Sep 2023 2:24pm
Nylands

Hello vs322
I’m not sure about using the VIn no etc. but I do remember that when the mechanic explained how difficult a job it is to remove the column through the dashboard etc. and then recalibrate it, it could take 4 hrs instead of 2 hrs if found difficult.
What I find strange is that the car drives perfectly well popping to town or local shops etc., it was not until we were on a motorway and cruising that the alarm (which it is to see them) appeared on now two occasions. Other than that suspension, braking, cruise control and even the hill descent control worked perfectly four days ago on holiday.
The mechanic is aware of the noise created when adjusting the steering wheel in and out for sure and has to correct that and had some time to reconsider what he did and didn’t do when he worked on it.
I wonder if it was just down to a faulty abs lead say and how good their diagnostic equipment is.
I will let you know what happens when I take it to the garage on Tuesday and thanks again for your input.
Regards David

Post #673092 10th Sep 2023 4:22pm
vs322

So it appears that your problem is intermittent, am I getting it right?
It is indeed a pita to remove and refit the steering column but only if you're worikng alone. It took me almost an afternoon to do on my own but that included several coffee and stretching breaks as the position of working is awkward.
But, at the end of the day, it isn't too complicated a job, especially with an assistant. Mind you I did not just replace my own sensor, I refurbished it. So that's extra work.
Another point worth considering is the front wheel alignment. If you've had any work done on the suspension, it might have been affected. Just throwing ideas out there. I assume you tried clearing all faults and see which ones persist? It could even be the ABS module itself that is on its way out.

Wish I could be of more assistance. Discuss these thoughts with your mechanic and hopefully he can soon be in the right direction.

Good luck

Post #673094 10th Sep 2023 4:39pm
Nylands

Thanks for your comments. The the track ends and bars were only replaced after the garage had replaced the SAS. Prior to this the warning images did appear but would not show again after the car was immediately restarted and driven, with a gap of several weeks and short journeys.

I’ll talk this through with the mechanic if he is prepared to listen. It’s fingers crossed and I’ll keep you informed.

Post #673108 10th Sep 2023 9:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>