Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Front shocks and Height sensors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bristol RR

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Ipanema Sand
Front shocks and Height sensors

Hi,

Have a leaky front shock and its past its best and crashing quite a lot over bumps etc.

Decided to get some mew shock assemblies for front and replace height sensors at the same time. Ordered OEM from Rimmer Bros, looking at their images it shows items are made in UK and OEM so presumed they were BWI as the OEM supplier and the same as the ones on car. What arrived though are Dunlop Shocks and struts. Part numbers are LR032560P1 for RH strut and LR032567P1 for LH.

Car is 2012 Westminster 4.4TDV8 and has done 57k miles.

Am I wasting my time fitting these Dunlop struts? My belief is that Dunlop is now a budget brand and in fact had some issues with struts on the RR?

Also ordered aftermarket height sensors and Britpasrt ones arrived... are they any good as height sensors? Their stuff is always hit and miss sometimes great sometimes just for for bin...

James

Post #672994 8th Sep 2023 5:11pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

The general consensus on here is to stick with original LR height sensors. No issues then.

I wouldn’t have expected Dunlop struts, as BWI on mine, like you say. Dunlop might have been original on the earlier cars at some point, so that’s why they prob see them as OE. I replaced my rears with Bilstein, but I know it’s hard to find those as fronts. Aerosus seem to be the cheap alternative (however you spell it) but some folk have no issues with them.

Isn’t it the Dunlop ones where some rattled about from the top of the strut? Can’t remember… def change in pairs though.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #673003 8th Sep 2023 7:27pm
Bristol RR

I was hoping the height sesnsors would be made by someone else rather than britpart… I’m spending serious cash in the car as it has unknown history so don’t want to skimp but also don’t want to fit britpart. I’ll have a look for the gen ones.

Ref struts yes have seen a few posts saying how the Dunlop ones rattled on here but very surprised to see they were Dunlop. No mention on RB site and the ones in picture look very much like BWI wkrh a big Made jn U.K. sticker on them.

Saw the leaky bags that Sam had on his Aerosus bags and a lot of reviews saying chinese built but stored in German warehouse, so discounted them.

Arbor seemed to have decent reviews on here any one have any good or bad experience with them?

James

Post #673004 8th Sep 2023 7:40pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Get in touch with Duckworths on here, site sponsors. A good price and free delivery. Can sometimes offer non gen stuff too.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Last edited by mjdronfield on 8th Sep 2023 8:47pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #673006 8th Sep 2023 8:36pm
Bristol RR

Yes will do. For shocks though they are £1400 each new so even with forum discount they are bloody expensive. You could swap out 3 she’s of arrosus for that price!!
Maybe the height sensors will be better value

Post #673007 8th Sep 2023 8:42pm
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

BWI shocks (VCD for 2012 Westie) available from Island 4x4 at under £1000 for the pair. The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #673010 8th Sep 2023 10:09pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

I'm curious as to why you think that the height sensors should be replaced.

My Bilstein replacement front shocks are fitted with Dunlop bags with which I was initially disappointed.
However after both Bilstein rear bags exploded in quick succession I'm hoping the Dunlops are better as they haven't exploded yet!

Post #673011 8th Sep 2023 10:09pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Advanced Factors have BWI at affordable prices for the earlier cars, but Macpherson only for the later cars: https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/front-ai...-292-c.asp 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #673014 8th Sep 2023 10:37pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

At only 56k the height sensors should not need replacing but neither should the shocks or airbags. Mine are still functioning properly with more than 100k more than yours on them. Is the leak on the front shock oil or air and if it's 'crashing' over bumps this may not be shock related. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #673023 9th Sep 2023 8:27am
Bristol RR

Changed the front brakes and discs a week ago. Massive oil leak coming from passenger shock and bounces all over the place, very little damping. Drivers side seems ok but I’d always replace in pairs like brakes.
Whilst had discs off I whipped the heights sensors off and both were floppy as you like and had considerable lateral movement. Again passenger side worse.
So they are past their best and as I’m having to replace rear discs and pads so anyway thought would replace height sensors at rear as preventative maintenance. Saves getting the tools out again and one less thing to fail in the short term.

Post #673028 9th Sep 2023 11:03am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

It's had a very hard life in those 56k miles then. What are the upper and lower suspension arms joints and bushes like as theses are common fail items after heavy use/ high miles. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #673030 9th Sep 2023 11:13am
Bristol RR

Jaygee,

Maybe it has maybe it hasn’t but I had very little history with the car. I knew the front brakes would need doing they were easy to spot. But I bought the car with my eyes wide open and at a good price. Knowing I’d have to do maintenance and that I’ll likely keep this for a few years I want to get it to a good baseline of known components. I wasn’t expecting a knackered shock and loose height sensors but the car has done low mileage which means short trips and these cars hate that. But it was low mileage so a decent foundation none the less.
I’m prepared to and was expecting to have to replace parts as it’s an RR and 11 years old now. So if it needs new shocks and a few height sensors then all good at least k know the parts I’m putting on will be decent and will extend the cars life. I’ve done all the oils under car Inc transmission and they weren’t too bad, engine oil was what I’d expect for a 12 months change in a diesel and the two air filters were gen LR and very clean so it has been looked after.
So it needs a new shock and height sensors so if I have the rear brakes off might as well do rears too.

Just makes sense.

Post #673034 9th Sep 2023 1:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1