Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Diffs, transfer case & tranny oil service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lschwarcz

United States 2009 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Bournville
Diffs, transfer case & tranny oil service

Hi Everyone,

I just did a fluids change on my 2009 L322 Autobiography and here are my thoughts for others. I replaced the fluids in the front and rear differentials, engine oil, transmission oil and the transfer case.

In general it’s a messy job. I’m lucky and have a lift in my shop that made it a bit easier but still a messy job.

I think the hardest part was locating the correct fluids for each component!

For all but the engine you’ll need a pump to get the fluids into the fill hole. I bought cheapest one from Harbor Freight here in the US.

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-tr...fluid+pump

One issue is that you need one tube in the bottle and the other end stuck in the component fill hole and sometimes it would fall out. I kept the drain tank under it to help but it would sometimes still spill out everywhere.

When filling the transfer case it was especially awkward since if I pushed the pump with normal pressure the oil would splash out. I had to fill it slowly to get most of it in the case and not on the ground!

Here are the details for each component.

Front differential:

Fluid: Castrol Syntrax Long life 75w-90
LRN7591 or TYK500010 (same product)
Thread sealant: Loctite 574 or Permatex 59214
Capacity: 0.75 liters refill (1.3 pints) (1.6 US pints)

Torque Specifications
Oil Drain plug 54 Nm, 40 lb-ft
Oil Fill plug 35 Nm 26 lb-ft

Rear differential:

Fluid: Castrol SAF Carbon Mod Plus SAE 75W-90 - LR019727
Thread sealant: Loctite 574 or Permatex 59214 *
Capacity: 1.55 liters (2.81 pints) (1.40 US quarts)

* Thread sealant isn’t specified for the rear differential, but I used it anyway. I hope this won’t be an issue!

Torque Specifications
Oil Drain plug 54 Nm 40 lb-ft
Oil Fill plug 34 Nm 25 lb-ft

Transfer case:

Fluid: IYK500010 or LRN0753
Capacity: 1.5 litres, (2.6 pints) (1.5 US quarts)

Oil Fill Plug Seal – IYF500030
Oil Drain Plug Seal - IYF500010

Torque Specifications:

Oil Drain plug 22 Nm 16 lb-ft
Oil Fill plug 22 Nm 16 lb-ft

Automatic Transmission:

The transmission in my car is a ZF 6HP26. Most of the parts for the service are available through a Land Rover dealer but are much cheaper when you look for the ZF brand parts. Exactly the same but a different name on the box.

Fluid: ZF-Lifeguard 6
Capacity: 4 quarts

NOTE: The transmission holds 10 quarts of oil. But when you drain it only about 4 quarts will come out. The rest will be in the torque converter and in other bits like the oil cooler. I bought way more fluid than I needed (8 quarts) but only used 4 of them.

Transmission Pan - 0501216243 which has the Pan, drain plug, gasket & filter.
Oil Fill Plug 0501321922 or LR007610; M18-1.5mm
Pan bolts (x21) 24117552108, Screw M6 X 28.5MM, TORX

Follow the directions in the service manual. Some people don’t replace the whole pan but the filter is integrated into the pan so if you want a fresh filter, you need a new pan.

I found that the pan from a Land Rover dealer was about $250 USD. I bought one for about $75 because I instead looked for the ZF part (exactly the same).

I found some here who also recommended replacing many seal bits like the four sealing sleeves, the valve body sealing sleeve and the Mechatronic Seal Adapter. These parts were difficult to find and in the end, I didn’t replace them. It turns out to get to these parts you need to remove the Mechatronic valve block that is bolted in place with about a million screws. I was not adventurous enough to do it this time around. Maybe when I hit the 120K mark I’ll try it.

If you want to do this yourself, here are the part numbers for my car. Please double check that they are the same for your car before ordering!

Sealing Sleeve (x2): 0734317370 - 25.9 m
Sealing Sleeve: 0734317371 - 31.4 mm
Sealing Sleeve: 0734317372 - 40.7 mm
Valve Body Sealing Sleeve: 0501216272 - TZV500010
Mechatronic Seal Adapter: 0501219952 or TGW500010

You can read more about this extra work where I read about it here: https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/the...re.341840/

I'm sure I've forgotten some stuff but feel free to ask and I'll try to answer your questions.

Good luck!
Larry. 2009 Range Rover L322 Autobiography
Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #672926 7th Sep 2023 6:22pm
will308f

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

Great write up…….I got my diffs and transfer box to do soon Thumbs Up

Post #672938 8th Sep 2023 3:37am
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Diffs: https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic67275.html

Transfer Box: https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic67285.html 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #672944 8th Sep 2023 8:07am
lschwarcz

Hi Gary,

Much better write up than mine! Thanks for posting those links!

What are the consequences of filling them until the oil flows out of the fill holes? With the issues I had with my cheap pump and so much spilling I’m not sure exactly how much I added. It seems there’s no way to check for the correct levels.

And, did you clean your pump between components? Is there any worry about mixing the small amount of residue from one oil to another?

Thanks!
Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #672988 8th Sep 2023 4:05pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Hello,

The risk of diffs being over-filled is aeration of the oil and premature bearing failure.

If you've overfilled, drain and catch in a clean container and then refill as appropriate.

The diffs and transfer box are exactly fill only and should be filled with a fluid transfer pump like i used, so you can be sure of how much has been put in.

I cleaned my fill bottle with degreaser followed by white spirit, and allowed to dry before using it for the transfer case fluid. There's no need for the front and rear diffs (if you have the standard rear), because you're using the same fluid. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Last edited by garyRR on 8th Sep 2023 4:47pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #672989 8th Sep 2023 4:11pm
lschwarcz

In my car the front and rear diffs use different fluids. The rear is the electronic locking unit and takes a special fluid.

Front: LR019727
Rear: LRN7591

So, looks like I'll get to do a bit more cleaning between components!

Thanks again!
Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #672991 8th Sep 2023 4:45pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Ah, one of the lucky few with an active rear diff. So yes, one extra clean. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #672992 8th Sep 2023 4:46pm
lschwarcz

One more question, what degreaser do you like? I've used a few but mostly use Simple Green. I believe it should be available in the UK but I'm not sure.

I'm considering spending the extra for the of the fancy ones like Oil Eater (https://oileater.com/) or Petro Buster (https://petrobuster.ca/) that use some type of enzymatic process to break down the oils.

Thanks!
Larry.

P.S. I just ordered a Mityvac MV6400 to dispense the oil more accurately and hopefully with much less of a mess! 2009 Range Rover L322 Autobiography
Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #672995 8th Sep 2023 5:19pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

I buy a big 5L container of it from Screwfix (I assume Harbor Freight is your equivalent) for £12. It's just called "No Nonsense Heavy Duty Degreaser". 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #672996 8th Sep 2023 5:21pm
lschwarcz

UPDATE:

Sorry, I missed in your post where you say which degreaser you use.

ORIGINAL POST:
Yea, Harbor Freight is all over here and there's one just a few miles away from me.

Which degreaser from Screwfix do you use? I see they have a bunch listed there. Brands like WD-40 and Zep are also sold out here.

Thanks,
Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #672997 8th Sep 2023 5:27pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-hea...5ltr/88668

This is what I use. Dilute as appropriate. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #672998 8th Sep 2023 5:35pm
jaguar3

Estonia 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

I use 100ml syringe for diffs/transfer fluids. Buy from animal clinic, cost some cents only. Very easy to add exact amount of oil, up to ml.
Also good thing for retracting oil from somewhere, from grass mover for example.

Post #673131 11th Sep 2023 3:53pm
lschwarcz

Jaguar3, what a great idea! I have a Mityvac on order but I even have some of those syringes here for small fluid dispensing!

Thanks!
Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #673222 12th Sep 2023 5:53pm
lschwarcz

UPDATE: No, the fill hole will not work as the right level to fill the rear differential. I just drained and measured it and had about 48 US ounces. About 3 ounces too much. Would that amount cause any issues? I don't know but I now have the correct 44.8 ounces.

Thanks,
Larry.

garyRR wrote:
Hello,

The risk of diffs being over-filled is aeration of the oil and premature bearing failure.

If you've overfilled, drain and catch in a clean container and then refill as appropriate.

The diffs and transfer box are exactly fill only and should be filled with a fluid transfer pump like i used, so you can be sure of how much has been put in.

I cleaned my fill bottle with degreaser followed by white spirit, and allowed to dry before using it for the transfer case fluid. There's no need for the front and rear diffs (if you have the standard rear), because you're using the same fluid.

Hi Gary,

I finally got around to draining the front diff into a clean container until it stopped dripping and then measured the amount that drained.

The specs want 25.6 US ounces (slightly more than a British Imperial ounce). When I drained I got 24 US ounces. I'm guessing that since the fluid was cold (about 60 degrees F) that some was left in the diff and when I poured into my measuring cup some was left in the drain pan accounting for the loss.

I topped off my measuring cup to 25.6 (had to estimate the 0.6) and refilled using a 100 ml syringe as suggested by jaguar3.

Filling with all that drained plus my approximate 1.6 US ounce additional did not cause any overflow from the fill hole.

So it appears that in the front differential adding until it flows out the fill hole ended up being the correct amount... or so close to the correct amount that it likely would not have made a difference.

Before I go to the effort of doing the transfer box and rear diff do you think they would be the same? Maybe Land Rover did it right like the US manufactures of cars where you fill until it overflows and that's the correct amount.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #673852 19th Sep 2023 6:47pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Both diffs and the transfer box are specified as exact fill.

I would personally just drain, let it drip whilst you grab a coffee, then refill the specified quantity opposed to what came out (no guarantee the last person who did it did it correctly). A small variance won't cause an issue.

The transfer box fluid is much thinner than the diff oils, so you can expect more to drain out and quicker. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #673870 19th Sep 2023 10:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1