Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Tyre pressure guage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
muppet

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Barolo Black
Tyre pressure guage

Could anyone recommend a good quality Tyre pressure gauge?, I have 3 currently that all give different values, an LCD AA branded one shows 30.5, an AA pump + inflation cigarette lighter one shows 32.5 and a very old manual push the tube up one shows 29.5... The ideal pressure should be 33 so am I being fussy expecting them all to be the same or is there a range of error for all these ?

The reason for checking although should be doing regularly anyway, is that I have just had 4 new tyres and everything aligned so was hoping that I could avoid under or over inflated tyres and the wear it causes...

As always any assistance greatly received Smile I need more help than most...sorry !!

Post #674673 1st Oct 2023 5:21pm
lschwarcz

United States 2009 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Bournville

I bought one through Snap-On. It's an analog dial gauge and is actually labeled, "Blue Point" (one of the Snap-On brands).

I have two; one that's just the pressure gauge and one that connects to my air compressor so I can also inflate the tire.

So far they're been very accurate. The pressure-only gauge I tested at a high-end alignment/tire shop and it read the same as their gauge.

Good luck!
Larry. 2009 Range Rover L322 Autobiography
Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #674674 1st Oct 2023 5:52pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Generally digital ones are generally more accurate but absolute PSI ( as long as it's not way out) is less important than relative pressures. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #674690 1st Oct 2023 7:15pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Jaygee is right, I usually just slightly over-inflate the tyres a few psi, then mentally note how much each is over presure on the TPMS, the nip round and drop each one by whatever few psi indicated by my analogue TPG. That usually gets it spot on as far as the TPMS is concerned. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #674723 1st Oct 2023 8:47pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

If you mean 'over inflate then drop to specification', then yes - that will always be a more accurate way, but it depends on the accuracy of the gauge, the ambient temperature and the tyre temperature - along with the moisture content of the compressed air, not forgetting the quality of the seal on the tyre valve stem.
Lots of variables, I tend to work on the basis of side-to-side equal, within 10kPa on the same axle from cold, assuming no appreciable solar gain on one side. Does it really matter that much? not really, I see many cars with wildly varying tyre pressures and they all manage to (mostly) stay on the road with not too excessively biased tyre wear. That said, I check and correct mine once a month (periodically - I wonder where that word came from?) just because it will give me early warning of any low loss punctures and it means I'll get the most mileage out of the tyres.

I use a PCL DTI081, not too expensive at £~45, rated at +/- 1 psi up to 60 psi, 2 psi up to 145 psi, 3 psi up to 170 psi with display accuracy of 0.1 psi / 0.01 bar / 1 kPa

Post #674726 1st Oct 2023 9:17pm
muppet

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Barolo Black
Thanks

Some great advice, Many Thanks for replying... I need more help than most...sorry !!

Post #674751 2nd Oct 2023 2:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1