Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > DAB Query
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Garfy

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
DAB Query

Hi,
I have a 2015 L405 Autobiography 4.4 that I bought about 12 weeks ago. Last few weeks the DAB radio has been struggling with reception. It's really annoying because every few seconds it alternates between going out of reception to coming back. When it dips out it makes a horrible sound. For those who remember it sounds like someone had bumped into the record player and the needle slips across the records, a horrible screech without warning, it hurts your ears. Then it will come back straight to normal playing whatever is on, normally Talksport, but does it on every channel.
Does anyone have any ideas about what this may be please?
I love driving them but I have very limited knowledge where motors are concerned. Where would the aerial be, is it behind the column at the rear boot window?
Thank you.
Thumbs Up

Post #675025 7th Oct 2023 5:11am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

what solved my problem was a bead of black mastic around the base of the DAB antenna on the roof..

i think water was accumulating in the base of the antenna and was somehow soaking into the electronics.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #675028 7th Oct 2023 8:41am
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

The DAB uses a diversity antenna system, one is in the roof pod, the other is a flat plate in the OS of the spoiler with a signal splitter /amplifier, the splitter / amplifier relies on an aluminium bracket bolted to the OS liftgate hinge to get it's ground plane, I've seen several of these corroded enough under the nut head to give a resistive connection and therefore a poor ground plane. Or it could be the roof pod (or receiver / wiring issue) I'd recommend having a look at DTC's to determine the area of concern before you start pulling things to bits.

Post #675033 7th Oct 2023 9:56am
Garfy

stan wrote:
what solved my problem was a bead of black mastic around the base of the dab antenna on the roof..

i think water was accumulating in the base of the antenna and was somehow soaking into the electronics..

thanks stan Thumbs Up

Post #675095 8th Oct 2023 3:08pm
Garfy

phoenix wrote:
the dab uses a diversity antenna system, one is in the roof pod, the other is a flat plate in the os of the spoiler with a signal splitter /amplifier, the splitter / amplifier relies on an aluminium bracket bolted to the os liftgate hinge to get it's ground plane, i've seen several of these corroded enough under the nut head to give a resistive connection and therefore a poor ground plane. or it could be the roof pod (or receiver / wiring issue) i'd recommend having a look at dtc's to determine the area of concern before you start pulling things to bits.

thanks phoenix Thumbs Up not sure i understood some of it (lol), but very much appreciate the response. i think i'll need to take it somewhere, but was concerned they'd spend 3 weeks looking for it, at least i can advise from your comments.

Post #675096 8th Oct 2023 3:10pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Its easy enough, but you need somewhere that understands radio, unless they have a RF spectrum analyser (instantly sounds expensive but a decent one can be had for £130) then they'll most likely just be playing parts darts - with your money.

Post #675153 9th Oct 2023 4:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1