Home > General (L460 2022) > 10,000 mile Range Rover L460 review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Freddy Bear

United Kingdom 
10,000 mile Range Rover L460 review

Hello all,

In case it is helpful if you are considering buying one, or to see how many of these observations resonate with other owners, here is a list of the things I like about the L460 and things that niggle. Mine is the 7 seater D350 LWB.

I love the way it looks
    The ride quality is super smooth
    It is very quiet, although I am not certain the noise cancelling is on (do any other owners know what I mean?)
    The infotainment is a gigantic leap forward from the L405
    The Apple CarPlay integration is superb
    The control by the gear selector for the stereo volume is ergonomic perfection (sadly now removed from MY24 along with the front heating controls)
    There is space for your phone to wirelessly charge, keys, drinks and stuff which is brilliant
    I have the D350 and that engine is a peach! I prefer it to the L405 diesel and petrol v8s
    The range (typically over 500 miles) and mpg (some pictures of the best results are below) is excellent
    The seat comfort is fantastic
    The seat heating is faster to heat up than on the L405
    Isofix is easier to get to so I can attach the cage for our dog Charlie easily to the rear seats
    Friends in the car always notice the illuminated seat belts
    Even without kids we use the 7 seats far more often than I imagined. I have sat in the 3rd row and was very comfy
    The 7 seat configuration gives you more rear leg room than the SWB, and more boot space than the SWB when the 3rd row is folded down
    Because the second row are the more straight forward seats (without the fancy armrest) they fold much flatter so with all the seats down I fit two of those one tonne bags for trips to the dump
    For holidays it holds an astonishing combination of luggage and people, so no roof rack needed on a ski trip last season
    I was lucky to have the Signature stereo and it is superb
    The electronic rear view mirror is seriously good (wider view than a mirror and clearer at night)
    The water jets being in the wipers works really well so you don't get dazzled in sunlight
    The rear wheel steer is amazing; this LWB car is easier to manoeuvre than the L405 SWB
    I never have trouble finding a parking space and it fits in parking spaces just fine

And here are the things that I would improve:
    Wind noise is noticeable because the car is so quiet
    The top of the door card is more rounded than on the L405 so you can't rest your elbow on it
    I don't seem to be able to switch the heated mirrors on
    CarPlay now shows Apple Maps on the instrument cluster and Android shows Google Maps. Great improvement (HUD next please!) but I want CarPlay to show Google Maps not Apple Maps
    The door unlocking and locking makes an unseemly racket when the handles move in and out
    The cool features on the launch video are not yet available, for example approach unlocking, and moving your car into a space using your phone
    The weight and packaging restricts options, so you can't get a 7 seater PHEV, which I would like
    No spare on the 7 seater (luckily when I got a flat I was at home)

Friends and family love the car, and I can imagine keeping it for a decade. If you are considering the LWB and have the space at home then don't hesitate. It is the best car I have ever owned. It was also the best buying experience, thanks to Laura Newman and Chloe Muir at Land Rover Reading, and Adam Fawsitt who kindly introduced me to them.

If you have any questions about the car I would be happy to answer them, and if you are an owner do let me know what would be in your lists of likes and niggles.

Best wishes all,

Fred

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #677223 4th Nov 2023 11:42am
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

What a good report.
I am nearly a year in Having had a D350 HSE for 4 months and then a P530 Autobiography since March and covered over 12000 miles.
I am not nearly so delighted and will start looking at Bentaga, Cayenne, X5, XC90.
Turning circle is fantastic but 45 years of knowing what the back wheels will do is making particularly reversing a new skill to master, whish there was a turn off switch.
I hate the grove in the steering wheel where the leathers meet.
I hate the lights that are constantly flickering trying to decide if that bit should be main beam or dip.
I hate that I have to go in to 4 different screens and take my eyes off the road just to adjust the air flow on the dash vents.
Why do the front seats have an enormous chin that means if you put your feet flat on the floor it digs into the back of your legs.
Yes I am an ungrateful spoiled brat but having spent more for this car than I paid for my house I would hope to be delighted. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #677225 4th Nov 2023 12:02pm
teeleh

Netherlands 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Carpathian Grey

Surely the best 4x4xFAR.

The L460 is just no comparison to an L405, which I thought was the best until I upgraded to the L460.

Look Ma, no separate button. The door mirror heaters operate automatically, according to the external temperature and the heated rear screen operation. RR's that are part of my car timeline since I bought my first RR Classic in 1999:

On the waiting list for the RR EV MY2025 Wink
RR P550e Autobiography MY2024
RR EVOGUE Cabrio MY2017
RR P400e Autobiography MY2020
RR TDV6 Autobiography MY2016
RR TDV6 VOGUE MY2013

RR TDV8 VOGUE MY2009 & MY2006
RR TD6 VOGUE MY2004

RRC 3.9i VOGUE MY1994 & MY1992

Post #677337 5th Nov 2023 4:49pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

I’m glad I’m not the only one using a £100,000 + car for tip trips!

I’m pleased the 7 seater fits parking spaces … I decided against, but regret , as never enough room to the aforementioned tip or trips to france. Like you I have a fetish for spare wheels which colours my judgement.

No one seems to know when the ability to park by app will arrive.

The main niggle I have is the cameras could be a bit more realistic when poking the nose out at a junction, they are a bit ‘fish eye’ & of little use to me…. Likewise with all that camera power , it wouldn’t take much to turn them into a recorder.

I agree it’s a great car. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #677340 5th Nov 2023 6:05pm
Crocs

Scotland 

I'm in the 'like' camp. Was driving a Maserati Levante for a couple of days this week and couldn't wait to get back to the 'imperiousness' of the RR.

Fabulous for short journeys, long trips and, even, pulling a flail mower in a paddock.

Post #677380 5th Nov 2023 11:44pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Next time you need the mirrors cleared, try turning on the read screen heater sir... Thumbs Up

Post #677385 6th Nov 2023 12:31am
Bazzert9

United Kingdom 

My approach unlocking and walk away locking works fine.

I love mine the only sulk I would have is the poor boot space on the Autobiography because of the executive seats and when folded they are far from flat, but this isn’t a big deal breaker.

I was loaded an F Pace last week while mine was in the dealership within half a mile of leaving the garage I knew I couldn’t swap my FFRR for anything else. It was the longest week of my life waiting to get it back.

Post #677894 13th Nov 2023 11:36pm
jez000

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Bournville

Lovely colour scheme a good to hear so many pluses and I bet that was an absolute delight to drive down to the Alps, were you skiing somewhere around Morzine ? 2021 P400 Silicon Silver AB
Gone 2011 Bournville TDV8 VSE
Gone 2008 Black Canadian HSE LUX

Post #677954 14th Nov 2023 5:35pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

Still the best RR i have ever had - no problems so far Thumbs Up

All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #678329 20th Nov 2023 1:57pm
vanquishspirit

United Kingdom 

Easily the best Range Rover yet ( apart from my original). My only gripe is the reverse steering when trying to kerb park which brings the rear out as you bring the front in. Makes me look like a first time parker! 2006 S/C owned from new. Black, sand with black inserts. Shes a thirsty girl. ( now gone)

1972 Suffix A fully restored 2 door

1970, chassis number 26 the first of the press launch cars, Masai Red

2013 4.4SDV8 Autobiograpahy

Post #681482 30th Dec 2023 1:20pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Laughing Laughing Laughing That made me giggle... Thumbs Up

Post #681534 31st Dec 2023 12:46am
calicoj

France 

Bazzert9 wrote:
My approach unlocking and walk away locking works fine.

So it doesn't drain the battery, like everyone says?

Mine is a 2023 P530 ATB and I've been itching to activate it, but the horror stories are freaking me out....

Post #684983 7th Feb 2024 6:55pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I love all your real life reviews. Hard to compete with Freddy Bear’s concise tale of their lived experience, though, an example of giving back to the Range Rover community at its absolute finest. And those photos… they should be included in JLR marketing! Which black is it? It’s never looked so good.

My dealer keeps suggesting I try an L460, but I resist. My L405, with its comfort seat pillows front and back (£360 to order the extra pair Rolling Eyes ) and other ‘necessities’ still ticks the boxes so the last thing I need is a new obsession I can’t easily afford. But when I can and I do, it’s your feedback I’ll lean on to get the spec right. Thank you.

I am disappointed JLR are doing away with physical controls for heating etc. Harry’s Garage reviewed the DB12 and rightly raved over the inclusion of physical buttons… other journos have consistently criticised the reduction of these time and again yet it’s ignored by designers. How many pounds does this save? It can’t be more than say £500 a vehicle yet everyone laments their exclusion. It baffles me. And I think it ties back to people designing product they do not buy themselves with their hard earned. Like the waiter in a 5 star hotel who has never stayed in a 5 star hotel who, understandably, no clue as to what those patrons want if not properly directed. Frustrating. Badly led product design at its worst. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #685235 10th Feb 2024 1:32am
Bill

United Kingdom 

Shrouds don’t have pockets, it’s one reason why I jumped in.

As for no buttons… I find menu’s frustrating , but frankly once the car is set up there are very few reasons to go into them again. I only use voice controls on high days and holidays.

Generation X might be happy with voice control only and a smooth look, but I’m well past twogen X maybe three gen x .

So they have done away with the heater controls on MY 24 and made them voice , would that stop me buying the car? No.

So when you feel a little more mortal, go out and treat yourself Smile Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #686290 23rd Feb 2024 3:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1