Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > HUD _ Heads Up Display Internal Pics/Fan Part #'s
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JDGeorgia

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue
HUD _ Heads Up Display Internal Pics/Fan Part #'s

The heads Up Display in my MY16 L405 TD6 will run for about an hour and then seems to overheat and shut down. This is a recent problem in the past 2 weeks. I bought a unit off eBay for a 2017 and plan on replacing the '16 unit with that. Prior to any of this - I am going to source and replace the fans on the 2017 unit. Tore into it tonight and have some pics to share.
This is obviously a composite - let me know if you need more

Click image to enlarge

There appear to be 2 projectors - possibly 1 for the Speedo and Cruise and 1 for the Nav? Both Projectors have a fan.
The 'Main projector' has a Delta Electronics Model ASB0412MA - 3 wire
https://a.co/d/daAv9xa

The Secondary Projector - maybe just the Nav Info - because it is smaller so less used? Also has a fan - but smaller. The small fan is also a Delta - Model ASB0312LA.
https://a.co/d/6fCSNde - This one has 4 wires - they also make 2 wire...
The Range Rover has 3?
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail...00/3444174

The light appears to move as shown
Click image to enlarge

There is a spinning diffuser right before the Fixed Concave Primary Mirror.
The secondary and Final Concave mirror is attached to a motor to adjust up and down...

Let me know if you have a specific pic you need - I can tear it back down 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'
Rolled Yahtzee Aug 2023 222,222Miles
2016 L405 HSE TD6. Santorini Black over Almond. - 'Donna the Diesel'
Only L405 IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE with an L494 Shift Lever Fitted!
97K at purchase Sept of 2023

Post #677637 10th Nov 2023 2:22am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Your secondary projector as you call it, may actually be a DMD from a DLP projector setup … Laughing

In other words … your primary projector is just a light source sending light out, and rather than passing it through an LCD screen to control pixel brightness, it’s bouncing that light off an array of very small mirrors ( your secondary projector bit ). The mirrors are controlled at a pixel resolution to bounce the light either onwards to output end of the display to light up a pixel, or somewhere else to no light up a pixel. ( possibly that somewhere else is behind the mirror array which is why it needs a heat sink to dissipate the light energy its not sending onwards ). V8 or else ...

Post #677696 11th Nov 2023 1:52am
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

The HUD is manufactured by Panasonic, as are the Touch Pro Duo screens:  2019 Vogue P400e

Post #677698 11th Nov 2023 6:48am
JDGeorgia

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

fisha wrote:
Your secondary projector as you call it, may actually be a DMD from a DLP projector setup … Laughing

In other words … your primary projector is just a light source sending light out, and rather than passing it through an LCD screen to control pixel brightness, it’s bouncing that light off an array of very small mirrors ( your secondary projector bit ). The mirrors are controlled at a pixel resolution to bounce the light either onwards to output end of the display to light up a pixel, or somewhere else to no light up a pixel. ( possibly that somewhere else is behind the mirror array which is why it needs a heat sink to dissipate the light energy its not sending onwards ).

Not being an LCD expert - nor do I play one on TV... Turning this into a printer analogy -
My 'Primary Projector' is the ink cartridge, and the mis-named secondary projector is the inkjet printer head. It bounces light on or lets it through to form the characters I see 4 or 5 mirrors/diffusers later...

I am not looking forward to that swap... the workshop manual makes it look like a pretty thorough tear down. 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'
Rolled Yahtzee Aug 2023 222,222Miles
2016 L405 HSE TD6. Santorini Black over Almond. - 'Donna the Diesel'
Only L405 IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE with an L494 Shift Lever Fitted!
97K at purchase Sept of 2023

Post #678113 16th Nov 2023 10:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1