Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L460) > Rear dash cam installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
d3rm0

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver
Rear dash cam installation

I decided not to option the LR front and rear Dashcam on my latest car. I purchased a BlackVue front and rear camera but when the installer turned up he said he couldn’t install the rear camera as the spoiler needs to come off, is this correct? Can anybody help with any guidance?

Post #682286 9th Jan 2024 10:27pm
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

Hi,

Depends on the model I guess but all the Blackvue's Ive come across the rear camera is internal.

If yours is internal then what it's got to do with the rear spoiler I have no idea as it would normally be stuck to the inside of the rear screenanyway.

Best check your model, it may be that the rear camera you've bought is in fact an external one, but whether the rear spoiler needs to come off or not the installer should have known and prepared for that.

Sounds like he just couldn't be bothered.

Andy Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #682289 9th Jan 2024 10:36pm
d3rm0

Hi Andy, the camera is internal, the issue that I was given was that the plastics on the rear screen are bonded and it was impossible to run the cable without taking the spoiler off.

Post #682292 9th Jan 2024 11:06pm
AndyRoo

OK, I get it.

On my L322 I ended up fitting it to the headliner by some HD 3M VHB tape as it kept falling off the rear glass because on the L322 the glass closes with quite a bang. The wiring then drops into the rear trim seal and follows it around the rear door edge to the right rear fuse box so it's completely hidden with the glass closed.

Have you considered something like that ? It would get around the problem of threading wires through the rear dor cable umbilicle.

Andy Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #682295 9th Jan 2024 11:33pm
d3rm0

There is a way to do it OEM style as their are YouTube videos from a company that has done it but they are too far from me

Post #682297 10th Jan 2024 12:04am
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I fitted a front/rear BlackVue to my L405. After feeding the wire through the rubber grommet into the tailgate, I drilled a small hole in the near side of the tailgate at the top and then fed the wire down the side of the tailgate into the plastic section at the bottom. I detailed it here:

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic55841.html?highlight=dashcam

Having gone though this painful fitting process on the L405 I ordered the LR dashcam on my L460 and sold the BlackVue. MY23 D350 HSE
On my 7th RR plus various other JLR vehicles

Post #682398 11th Jan 2024 11:43am
AndyRoo

Hi,

Here's how I did mine, I can just make out the camera flash screen image in my rear view so when I open the car I can see the camera's start up, the front one I can see anyway even though it's partially behind the left "wing" of the interior mirror, the rear I can see it flash up and can see the red/blue tell tale flashing in the mirror so I know it's on/charging and recording even if I'm just sat in the car and whilst driving.

Fitted to the NS of the car so it's view is within the wiper sweep, tints mean it's not visible from outside, but shocker when you open the boot and people behind realise they're on camera.

Also in this location it runs properly with the boot open, i.e long loads etc. which mounting on the lid just gives you a view of the sky.

Not the best quality install I know but function over form.

Andy

Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #682404 11th Jan 2024 12:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1