Home > Technical (L322) > LPG vs TD6 choices
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
filthyliam

United Kingdom 
LPG vs TD6 choices

hi all

i am new to this forum and have been pointed in this direction from Landyzone. i have just read the topic in general re titling correctly and searching the forums and have tried my best but haven't found much about this.

i am looking at either 4.4 v8 with LPG on (will probably buy non converted then get it done so that i know who has done it and where and also it's been done right) or TD6 looking to spend about 15k max and want to buy trade so as I have some form of guarantee/warranty. Think this would be probably 2002-2004

We need something to pull an Ifor williams trailer sometimes with 2 horses in, it was mentioned to me (pub talk) that I would be best with the TD6 as if i put LPG on the petrol it would loose torque. i have looked at the figs on Autotrader TD6 is 174 bhp 288 torque 12.7 0-60 and 25 mpg. V8 is 281 BHP 324 torque 9 secs 0-60 and 17.4 mpg. So if even the V8 lost about 5% via LPg surely this would be better than the TD6 or is it about where it produces its torque etc. I know the 0-60 bit doesnt matter for trailers much but we would also like it to be a nice road car also

My last question is around mileage. due to the amount £ that i am looking at spending some examples i am looking at have high ish mileage eg 100k I know service history etc is important but is there much life left in a V8 petrol with this sort of mileage to convert to LPG . I think maybe the diesel would be OK as i have had diesels with 200k plus on with no issues but not on a range rover.

Thanks in advance to any replies and sorry of this has been discussed before i have tried to look but dont use forums much

cheers

Post #74453 1st Aug 2011 9:43pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

If it helps, here is my review of getting mine converted: http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic3659.html

I get around 250 from a tank, the most is 285, but that was pushing it. A tank currently costs around £50. Yet I still get to bomb around with good performance - 12+ seconds 0-60? I think not.

If you could afford to go for the TDV8 then I would say no contest - however they are still in the high 20's! 

Post #74458 1st Aug 2011 10:24pm
filthyliam

United Kingdom 

Hi Dan

thanks for the prompt reply i cannot rally justify spending that much so TDV8 is out im afraid. the 0-60 time was for the TD6 think i put the v8 on from autotrader not sure how much this affects performance which is what im trying to find out eg torque when towing also about high mileage examples or should i wait and save up a bit more

cheers

Post #74462 1st Aug 2011 10:32pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

I've towed with mine and never had an issue, the gearbox detects its towing so you dont get too much hunting etc.

Also the TD6 GM gearbox is renowned for having issues in higher mileage - mainly down to lack of maintenance. The V8 ZF box can also have issues if the oil has not been changed (I got mine done at around 100K for peice of mind)

Dan 

Post #74464 1st Aug 2011 10:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1