Home > Technical (L405) > Stiff suspension issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tuki

Turkey 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black
Stiff suspension issues

Hi folks,

So I have been driving my beloved MY20 S/C for almost a year now, and until last week it was like a flying carpet. Loved every bit of driving it. But all of a sudden, the suspension seemes like it got stuck in stiff mode and feels like i’m driving a sports car. I tried to change it to dynamic then to eco then to comfort from autoterrain but no go.

I drove around 300 miles and it was still there, and yet accompanied with vibration noticable from 40 mph and got worse after 80 mph. My first thought was the tire balancing and did new balancing on all 4 tires before heading back.

So another 300 miles back home, everything was the same. Still stiff and bouncy suspension with vibration on all over the car.

I took it today to my indy and he noticed both problems as well. We tried to recalibrate the suspension, there was some slight height differences, we measured it afterwards and it got back to normal. But after leaving the workshop, nothing changed. Censored

And for the vibration, he told me to check all the tires by removing from the wheel. I bought my tires from Pirelli last april, and drove just 4K, and it was silky smooth until the problems occured.

And lastly for the info, no knocking or anything be heard from the suspension, just the stiff ride.

Any ideas how to solve this and get back to Aladdin and the magic lamp mode? Rolling Eyes

Thanks!

Post #683213 19th Jan 2024 3:56pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Check that the tailshaft centre bearing mount is still as it should be, not broken or flopping about in the rubber.

Post #683248 19th Jan 2024 8:32pm
tuki

Turkey 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

bump.

Issue still continues. We checked all the bearings and bushings, just the front right control arm bushing needs to be changed but besides of that, all good and intact.

Did all the updates for the car, it almost took a whole day to do it, and whilst doing it the car made a self suspension test (rodeo) and has passed all the test, no leakage or compression issues shown.

It doesn’t throw any DTC’s, but still rides like it’s in the access height. So annoying. My indie suspects the rear dampers since they are separate from the air suspension but I don’t want to make an expense without being sure it will cure the problem.

So this week i’ll change the control arm bushing and had an another 22’’ wheels with Pirelli Scorpions just to take those out of my head.

And lastly, before running the engine but igniton on, I checked the 4x4 menu to see the levels of the 4 corners, I have noticed that it showed the front wheels turned right eventough it was straight. Anything to do with the active suspension sensor etc? It came back to normal when I run the engine and turned the steering wheel. (see photo)

Click image to enlarge

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S: I didn’t want to open a new topic, when we were running dtc’s, It showed that the car cannot communicate with Front Controle Interface Module B (FCIMB) and the tow bar module. Can’t see any problems with the FCIMB but the tow bar doesn’t work. (Well I have never used it before, just when I got delivery of the car last year I tried it just to see and it was working fine). Checked all the connections and wires and seems ok, but the buttons in the trunk for the towbar doesn’t even illuminate. Any ideas?

Post #685906 18th Feb 2024 12:42pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

A front damper is just as likely the culprit as a rear, but possibly moreso because if oil has leaked from a front damper then it will be inside the air-spring, unlike a rear damper where the oil would be seen.
Do you get any sense that the vibration is more at the front or rear, left or right?

Post #685927 18th Feb 2024 9:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1