Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > 2016 Td6 DEF Quality/Dosing Error - Sensor Issue???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JDGeorgia

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue
2016 Td6 DEF Quality/Dosing Error - Sensor Issue???

My Dudes!
Still loving the L494 Lever in my L405...
Sorry - this got a little long... raise your hand if you are surprised...

What I am not loving is the fact that I have had a DEF Quality fault that turns into a DEF Dosing Error. 3rd one since I bought the truck in late August 2023.
No pics of the first instance, but it happened long about October 15th - my Indy talked me into new sensors and a NEW DPF to the tune of $2,500. I also had them fill the DEF since it was telling me to add 9Liters(invoice says they put 15L in it...). Fault is gone! (After watching several videos by O'Rileys mobile garage on the University of Tube... I think this was grossly misdiagnosed - PigPiss/cash under the bridge...)

I get a low DEF message November 25th - I have put quite a few miles on with Auburn Tiger Football and Thanksgiving driving. Add 9.5 Liters of DEF...

Jan 5 - say 2,500 miles later the Censored Fault came back!

Click image to enlarge

I climb under the truck and detach the DEF Nozzle - it does not look that bad, but grab some hot water and The Mrs. toothbrush clean it and the port where it attaches to the DPF. THOROUGHLY rinse the toothbrush and return it to the cup it was in by the sink.

Click image to enlarge

These are pre-scrubbing, obviously.

Put it all back together drive it 5-6 miles and the error does not clear, but the message changes:
It went from Quality Issue to now - Dosing malfunction
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Per O'Riley... I go in to my GAP IID and reset the DPF and the Dosing calibration. (Big scary warning that if I did not really swap my DPF failure could result) The next day, drive 20 or so miles to a funeral and the light is off when we come out to go home. I am so HAPPY!

Fast forward to Jan 19 - Censored Censored Fault RETURNS!!!
I look at the fault and the service menu... hmmm same mileage on DEF - I topped this thing off, like necked it on Jan 5. There is no way I only have 203 miles...

Click image to enlarge

Decide to check the GAP IID -

It thinks I have too much DEF...

Did nothing under the truck - just reset everything through GAP IID... On the 75 mile ride home the fault cleared.

What does the hive-mind think? Do I have bad DEF Level sensors?
How do I get this sorted in a more permanent fashion?!?!?

As Always - thanks for the help! 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'
Rolled Yahtzee Aug 2023 222,222Miles
2016 L405 HSE TD6. Santorini Black over Almond. - 'Donna the Diesel'
Only L405 IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE with an L494 Shift Lever Fitted!
97K at purchase Sept of 2023

Post #683593 23rd Jan 2024 12:14am
67landie

I've had the Def quality warning twice over the past year. Injector wasn't too bad but cleaned. Replaced the injector seal ring the second time. That and keeping the Def tank topped off, haven't had the warning in a while so we'll see. If it comes back I'll do a smoke test and update the PCM. Saw a post somewhere that suggested to use the gap to say you replaced the Def pump so it recalibrates it, I haven't did that yet. I have no suggestions on the Def tank sensor other than reading the volume, drain and measure the amount that comes out and refill. Maybe run a forced Regen?

Post #684170 28th Jan 2024 11:28pm
JDGeorgia

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

@67landie - I have pulled/cleaned the nozzle twice now, and the tank should be topped!

I can do the GAP IID reset and it seems to stay off for a bit.
According to GAP - the particulate was at an amazingly low 0.0ppm, or grams or whatever.
Keep in mind that the DPF was replaced at a cost of $2,500 back in October - so it is essentially brand new.

I ordered another nozzle and will swap them out if/when the light comes on again.
The nozzle was $100 off Amazon and it is one of the more easily accessible parts on the truck.
I will keep the OEM in case the import does not work well.

I may try emptying the DEF tank and seeing how much it says I have vs what comes out.

Thanks for the reply! 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'
Rolled Yahtzee Aug 2023 222,222Miles
2016 L405 HSE TD6. Santorini Black over Almond. - 'Donna the Diesel'
Only L405 IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE with an L494 Shift Lever Fitted!
97K at purchase Sept of 2023

Post #684443 31st Jan 2024 6:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1