Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Finance, Insurance & Warranties > Buying Used from Main Dealer vs Independent & Warranty??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
smitht2

United Kingdom 
Buying Used from Main Dealer vs Independent & Warranty??

Hi,

I’m searching for my 1st used RR, and am searching Autotrader with “Manufacturer Approved”, obviously giving me results from LR dealers.

I’m looking at cars that are ~2020, so not within an initial 3 yr warranty.

My question is: “Is there a benefit/reason to buy from a main LR dealer when out of initial warranty?” vs de-selecting the Manufacturer Approved option, and having more choice, and typically lower price?

2nd related question is” “Can I only get a LR extended warranty by buying from a LR main dealer?” Or can I buy from XYZ garage and buy the warranty separately? I know there are lots of threads about various warranties, but I want to know if I HAVE to buy from a main dealer, in order to go the LR extended warranty option.

Thanks for advice!

Post #691001 20th Apr 2024 10:10pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

With Approved used from a LR main agent you are in a stronger position due to the higher standards they have to meet - one of which is their Approved used warranty is better and covers most things and if you don’t “feel the love” you can give it back. Yes there are good independents out there but with a main agent you get more clout and if all else fails LR customer service will step in and take a very dim view with black marks against dealers.

Personally I wouldn’t buy any vehicle of substantial value from anywhere else other than a main agent - it’s a totally different matter if your looking at something sub £20k 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #691003 20th Apr 2024 10:41pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Main dealers will sell Approved Used vehicles up until about 4.5 years old or just outside of original manufacturer warranty.

Anything 5+ years will typically be independents only.

So, the age you're looking at, I'd 100% opt for an Approved Used vehicle.

Just a point on warranties - LR customer service will give you diddly squat assistance with a warranty claim and a dealer. With any warranty claim, it will always be an uphill battle. And the warranty comes from Land Rover UK, so in fact it is the other way around - someone on the end of an email chain tells the dealer what they will and won't approve, and the dealer then has to be the bearer of good or bad news (and in the case of bad, look like they're the ones providing a bad service). Once the Approved Used warranty ends, Land Rover drop the claim limit down to £3,000 and provide extortionate renewal prices - so the warranty is basically worthless - £3k on a car like these is pretty useless.

They'll also employ tactics such as if your vehicle only has a couple of months warranty to run, they'll give you a date to bring the vehicle in that miraculously is after the expiry date of your warranty.

If 5+ years, only opt for a dealer who have a mechanical inspection undertaken and the report available for you to see. Also check the warranty available - they will have claim limits which will be lower than the Approved Used, but likely considerably higher than the £3k Land Rover drop it to. My premium stock carries a £10k claim limit, which is more like it on vehicles like these. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #691005 21st Apr 2024 12:16am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

That’s not quite correct, LR extended warranties are available to 10 years old and 100k miles, there are two extended warranty types and it is only the Select Extended Warranty that has a limit of £3k - the other doesn’t. Also don’t forget the LR Roadside Assist and Recovery, many aftermarket warranties don’t have that.

Also main agents are selling pre owned vehicles at up to around 8 years old - the qualifying requirements are condition, service history and whether it’s been undertaken by LR. I recently sold a LR vehicle - a 65 plate which had full LRSH and this was retailed by the main agent.

For those that are interested their mark up was £7k that covered a full service, pads and discs all round, premium tyres, replacement of a faulty reverse camera, wheel refurb, inspection and the Approved Used Warranty. Plus their profit and salesman’s commission - I thought their mark up was reasonable given their costs and it was a main agent. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #691006 21st Apr 2024 7:01am
smitht2

United Kingdom 

Thanks for replies. I think the answer to my 2nd question is implied, but to check - is it correct I could only get the LR warranty (the one with cover over £3m) if I buy an approved used car from LR? So I can’t buy from XYZ Indy dealer and then but LR warranty from LR (obvs assuming car is under 100k miles etc)

Reason I’m asking is for the car I’m searching for - 2020-21 AB D300-350 or TDV8 with low mileage - only 4 come up on Autotrader from LR dealers. But if I expand search to Indy dealers, more cars come up. These are expensive cars, so I’m nervous of buying one outside of the LR main dealer network. Hence the question about being able to buy full LR warranty.

Thanks

Post #691008 21st Apr 2024 7:48am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Yes, you are referring to an Approved Used Warranty - the other is extended warranty.

FWIW I wouldn’t buy a RR of that value from any other than a main agent - any replacement parts including pads and discs are genuine - independents generally go for the cheapest - this matters particularly with brake parts as the “OEM” ones I’ve used on other LR vehicles have been dreadful.

Just one thing to bare in mind a lot of independent stock are trade ins sourced from main agents - they have been treaded out and not retailed for a reason - usually because they have not met the required standards e.g. body work repairs, lack of service history or failed the inspection, sourced from an auction, We buy Any Car etc etc 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #691009 21st Apr 2024 8:03am
smitht2

United Kingdom 

Thanks again. That point about “being traded out” is very helpful - I was wondering how a £50k+ car ends up outside the dealer network!

I’ll keep looking for an approved car in the spec/mileage (and colour combo SWMBO will approve😊) 👍🏻

Thanks!

Post #691011 21st Apr 2024 8:36am
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Vogue wrote:
Yes, you are referring to an Approved Used Warranty - the other is extended warranty.

FWIW I wouldn’t buy a RR of that value from any other than a main agent - any replacement parts including pads and discs are genuine - independents generally go for the cheapest - this matters particularly with brake parts as the “OEM” ones I’ve used on other LR vehicles have been dreadful.

Just one thing to bare in mind a lot of independent stock are trade ins sourced from main agents - they have been treaded out and not retailed for a reason - usually because they have not met the required standards e.g. body work repairs, lack of service history or failed the inspection, sourced from an auction, We buy Any Car etc etc

Your last point is incorrect. Main dealers purposely don't hold older stock. Most have a policy of "straight to auction" based on age. It's nothing to do with condition of the vehicle - only when under the 5 year mark.

Based on the fact the OP is looking at a 2021 vehicle, I would most definitely say stick to main dealer. Use Land Rover's Approved Used website instead of AutoTrader. Some of the main dealers don't use AutoTrader, but their cars will come up on Land Rover's site. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #691013 21st Apr 2024 8:48am
smitht2

United Kingdom 

Consistent clear advice to buy from LR main dealers - thanks.

And thanks re tip for approved used LR site.

Have to say I love AT tracker plug in for seeing price drops on AT site though 👍🏻😉

Post #691016 21st Apr 2024 9:22am
smitht2

United Kingdom 

Consistent clear advice to buy from LR main dealers - thanks.

And thanks re tip for approved used LR site.

Have to say I love AT tracker plug in for seeing price drops on AT site though 👍🏻😉

Post #691017 21st Apr 2024 9:23am
Steveg

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Orkney Grey

smitht2 wrote:
Thanks again. That point about “being traded out” is very helpful - I was wondering how a £50k+ car ends up outside the dealer network!

I’ll keep looking for an approved car in the spec/mileage (and colour combo SWMBO will approve😊) 👍🏻

Thanks!

The most common reason why they end up out of the network is that the RR owners buy other makes of vehicle and trade in their RR. The other make dealer typically doesn’t sell used vehicles of other makes, and so often they will sell it on via auction.

Who buys it as auction, is whoever is prepared to buy at the highest price.

Post #691032 21st Apr 2024 1:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1