Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > water dripping from underside of glovebox
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
joeypineapplez

Ireland 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Epsom Green
water dripping from underside of glovebox

Strange one really, noticed the other day when I reversed at speed a splash of water came from under the glove box and landed on the floor mat. Obviously there was a pool of water sitting somewhere behind the dash and it dislodged on acceleration. Upon further investigation my passenger side carpet is soaking wet (not coolant just rain water).

I have been researching this for hours today and all I can find is "check your sunroof drains" and "check your AC drains". I DO NOT have a sunroof and its too high up to be AC drains. Im going to strip out what I can during the week, A pillar trim, wiper cowling etc etc. Any other tips or ideas would help. The windscreen seals are pretty poor and split both top and bottom but I believe they dont actually provide any waterproofing as such, this is provided by the windscreen bond. Also the carpet is so thick and heavy its hard to manipulate, would it be easier if I removed he seat.?

The water seems to be dangerously close to my fuse box so Id like to get this sorted before I get all manner of electrical Censored .

Thanks.

(driver side is bone dry as is the rear) 2002 TD6 Epsom Green

Post #690589 14th Apr 2024 3:37pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

If indeed your ac drains are blocked it’s possible the water is from the ac evaporator tray overflowing. If it’s not that it definitely sounds like your windscreen leaks somewhere. Thumbs Up

Post #690601 14th Apr 2024 5:31pm
joeypineapplez

Thats something I hadnt thought of, thanks. Not sure where that is located but I will find out. Im hoping its not the screen Big Cry 2002 TD6 Epsom Green

Post #690603 14th Apr 2024 5:37pm
TST717

United Kingdom 

nicedayforit wrote:
If indeed your ac drains are blocked it’s possible the water is from the ac evaporator tray overflowing. If it’s not that it definitely sounds like your windscreen leaks somewhere. Thumbs Up

I have just had the same issue on a Cayenne …same symptoms and this was the issue …..stripped out the evap plastic pipework , cleared drains , hopefully stays cleared , replaced the cabin filter at same time ….. re-installed in reverse … job done …

There is usually lots of guidance on YouTube or on here for the RR ….
T

Post #690624 14th Apr 2024 8:02pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

You don’t need to get to the evaporator, which is a serious job, just concentrate your efforts on clearing the drain pipes and the tray will empty as normal.

Post #690644 15th Apr 2024 8:25am
TST717

United Kingdom 

Hmmm,

I think thats what i said above wasnt it ?

🤣🤣🤖

Post #690646 15th Apr 2024 8:37am
joeypineapplez

Well I had a bit of a poke around today and the AC drains are clear and flow beautifully. I lifted the carpet as best I could and the wetness is confined to passenger footwell only. Next area for investigation is the screen. Hard to see any leaks at the bottom of the screen with all that dash in the way.

Are there any known leak points around the A pillar.?

Car is going through a rescue mission at the moment but its fighting me every step of the way. If its not one thing its another. Big Cry 2002 TD6 Epsom Green

Post #690671 15th Apr 2024 1:16pm
joeypineapplez

Did a bit more stripping down this evening. I can see where the water has tracked down the metal dash supports and landed on the back of the glove box. Cant see much more than that at the moment as behind the dash is a very busy place.

The glove box seems to have shielded the fuse box from getting wet. It appears to be dry with no signs water marks. More investigation required.

2002 TD6 Epsom Green

Post #690686 15th Apr 2024 5:54pm
Richie N

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Baltic Blue

Well done. Perhaps try some water on the windscreen?

Post #690692 15th Apr 2024 8:42pm
Richie N

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Baltic Blue

And cover the fuses first! Have you disconnected the battery?

Post #690693 15th Apr 2024 8:44pm
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Could it be as simple as a sticky patch as seen on 'LR Time's Discovery' behind the A pillar cover?

Post #690697 15th Apr 2024 9:23pm
joeypineapplez

Yeah Ive seen that LR time episode and was hoping it would something simple like that. Today I made a rain testing rig. Its on the go there at the moment. Im gonna let it run for half an hour and then investigate.

2002 TD6 Epsom Green

Post #690726 16th Apr 2024 12:35pm
joeypineapplez

Well after some extensive testing Ive finally found the source of the leak. Its not what I expected. During my "rain shower" I noticed water dripping off my curtain airbag. I followed this tiny trickle back to the upper corner of the passenger side windscreen.

Great I thought, that will be leaking in through the windscreen sealant, I can just apply some more and all will be well. Alas no. On closer inspection and after a hours of trial and error with tissues and targeted water application I managed to pinpoint it to a tiny little overlap between two panels that join the roof and the door frames structure.

Click image to enlarge

I scrapped away the loose sealant and paint to reveal this lovely little water trap.

Click image to enlarge

More targeted water application and this is definately the source of my leak. Question now is how to fix it. A new screen is NOT an option at the moment and its not leaking around the screen bond anyway.

My plan is to clean up the offending area as best I can and use some Captain Tolly leak fix to follow where the water flows followed by an application of fresh seam sealer and paint. Im open to better suggestions. Anybody seen this leaking between panels before.?

(Car is off the road at the moment undergoing some life saving surgeries) 2002 TD6 Epsom Green

Post #691553 29th Apr 2024 6:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1