Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > To LPG or not to LPG
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
bozmandb9

To LPG or not to LPG

I'm pretty much decided to convert my new S/C too. I'm getting around 250 miles before I fill up, which is around £100 per fill. I can get the same from £50 of LPG.

What do others get from their S/C's on petrol? I know they'll show a range of around 400 miles, and I suppose you'd get 300-400 miles from a tank on a run if you empty it?

A couple of questions for those who have LPG. Where is your suspension compressor located and how? Also where can the filler cap go if you don't have a tow bar? I'll try to get it in next to the petrol filler cap, but this looks a little tight.

Also any great locations for twin condensers? Last time had one in the battery compartment which wasn't ideal, but it's tight for space in that engine bay!

Cheers,

David Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #83772 25th Sep 2011 7:47pm
HUGI

Switzerland 2006 Range Rover Vogue Supercharged Java Black

well I dont want to convert mine as we dont have many LPG stations over here.

I get on mine around 350-450miles per tank.

the record was 490 miles but this was mostly highway and a bit of german autobahn Very Happy

Post #83778 25th Sep 2011 7:55pm
CG-SC

2006 Range Rover Autobiography Supercharged Zambezi Silver

My compressor is in the rear RHS compartment under the rear fuse box, yes it's a bit noisier and you can hear it but not that bad when you get used to it.

My filler is on the rear bumper, just behind the mud flap - quite well concealed and doesn't look out of place.

I only have one vaporiser mounted on the LHS strut top - plrnty room and can handle the power OK.

With lots of stop start driving around town (wife) it returns about 12 mpg (calculated - not obd computer) - on a decent run I can easily get that to 15 mpg on gas so overall it's not too bad....I can but at my local Morrisons for 69p per litre.

I certainly wouldnt want to live with a SC day to day on petrol, but I suppose i did spend £2kish to convert - personal preference at the end of the day.

All i know is that pound for pound, it probably costs the same to run as a TD6, but I have 400BHP to play with and that NOISE !!! Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #83779 25th Sep 2011 7:56pm
bozmandb9

CG-SC wrote:
My compressor is in the rear RHS compartment under the rear fuse box, yeas it's a bit noisier and you can hear it but not that bad when you get used to it.

My filler is on the rear bumper, just behind the mud flap - quite well concealed and doesn't look out of place.

I only have one vaporiser mounted on the LHS strut top - plrnty room and can handle the power OK.

With lots of stop start driving around town (wife) it returns about 12 mpg (claculated - not computer) - on a decent run I can easily get that to 15 mpg on gas so overall it's not too bad....I can but at my local Morrisons for 69p per litre.

I certainly wouldnt want to live with a SC day to day on petrol, but I suppose i did spend £2kish to convert - personal preference at the end of the day.

All i know is that pound for pound, it probably costs the same to run as a TD6, but I have 400BHP to play with and that NOISE !!!

So how many miles do you get on a tank of LPG CG? I assume your tank is around 92 litres, so costs around £50 to fill? I was getting 180-250 miles from a tank on my previous SC.

However, I'm sure I was driving in a much more spirited manner, I think you just do when you're buying fuel at half the price, that's part of why I want to get it done, I think you can enjoy the car so much more when it costs half the money to fuel, otherwise i can see myself spending up to £300 in a week on fuel!

I reckon payback for me will be within 6 months! Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #83781 25th Sep 2011 8:02pm
CG-SC

What I have found is that it doesn't seem to make much difference if you drive it like Miss Daisy or whether you give it a right hard time - the mpg is fairly similar, strange but true.

With the school runs, stop start wife journeys, it'll get about 170ish to a tank, on a run I can get about 230 (92 litre tank, fill of about 72 litres)

And I agree, I think I drive it harder knowing that it's 69p per litre.

I was coming home tonight after dropping my daughter at her friends and there was a pretend E36 M3 in front of me pulling away from the traffic lights giving it some (wet roads and uphill drag) - the poor guy couldn't believe it when a Range Rover pulled out and shot past him Thumbs Up Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #83787 25th Sep 2011 8:14pm
bozmandb9

CG-SC wrote:
What I have found is that it doesn't seem to make much difference if you drive it like Miss Daisy or whether you give it a right hard time - the mpg is fairly similar, strange but true.

With the school runs, stop start wife journeys, it'll get about 170ish to a tank, on a run I can get about 230 (92 litre tank, fill of about 72 litres)

And I agree, I think I drive it harder knowing that it's 69p per litre.

I was coming home tonight after dropping my daughter at her friends and there was a pretend E36 M3 in front of me pulling away from the traffic lights giving it some (wet roads and uphill drag) - the poor guy couldn't believe it when a Range Rover pulled out and shot past him Thumbs Up

I'm sure you're right! On lpg you can really push it along the motorways, and no problem, on petrol, it make such a difference if you drive at 95 instead of 70! Equally on country roads, you're punished more for overtaking on petrol!

The only thing that puts me off converting it is having to be without it for up to a week! Big Cry

P.S. CG, I'm sure you've said before, but do you have flashlube? Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #83790 25th Sep 2011 8:18pm
CG-SC

[quote="bozmandb9"]

CG-SC wrote:

P.S. CG, I'm sure you've said before, but do you have flashlube?

Yeah, I have Flashlube - just the basic one, not the electronic one.........I looked into it a fair bit before I converted and the general consensus was that there are a fair few SC's out there that don't have it and no probs - I decided that for the money, I'd go for the basic one - seems fine, top it up occasionally and all OK so far............fingers crossed !! My car has done 83K - I converted it at 79K - planning on keeping it for a while, I love it !!!

PS Bozman - your new SC looks great !! did you put new doors on it or just repair the old ones ? Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #83791 25th Sep 2011 8:28pm
bozmandb9

[quote="CG-SC"]

bozmandb9 wrote:
CG-SC wrote:

P.S. CG, I'm sure you've said before, but do you have flashlube?

Yeah, I have Flashlube - just the basic one, not the electronic one.........I looked into it a fair bit before I converted and the general consensus was that there are a fair few SC's out there that don't have it and no probs - I decided that for the money, I'd go for the basic one - seems fine, top it up occasionally and all OK so far............fingers crossed !! My car has done 83K - I converted it at 79K - planning on keeping it for a while, I love it !!!

PS Bozman - your new SC looks great !! did you put new doors on it or just repair the old ones ?

Thanks, new door skin front, new door rear, new rear wing and bumper. It looks even better in the flesh. It had some colour coding originally, gills and bonnet air intake, and now it has mirrors and door handles colour coded.

On the to-do list is to extend the Piano Black trim inside, to replace the foundry finish! Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #83793 25th Sep 2011 8:40pm
rads

2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Tonga Green

WTF!

You have been one of the champions of the LPG SCs on this forum and it's pretty much on your recommendation I'm about to head down this route.

Now, MAN UP, get your new one done, let us know if it works out all right again and when it's safe for me to have your installation copied!

Thumbs Up

David

Post #83918 26th Sep 2011 4:39pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

I don't have an LPGd SC so not my area of knowledge but don't you guys need to be careful of installation and causing faults with your engines? From what I know it's not as easy to gas as other engines? If it was easier I would consider going down this route. [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]
04, 4.4V8, Vogue Oslo Blue with LPG.
"You can sleep in your car, BUT you can't race your house!!!!"

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #83926 26th Sep 2011 5:19pm
bozmandb9

rads wrote:
WTF!

You have been one of the champions of the LPG SCs on this forum and it's pretty much on your recommendation I'm about to head down this route.

Now, MAN UP, get your new one done, let us know if it works out all right again and when it's safe for me to have your installation copied!

Thumbs Up

David

?

It's booked in for tomorrow, I just really wanted some input from others on placement of the suspension compressor and fuel filler cap (since on my old car it was on the tow bar armature, which isn't present on my new car.

Don't you have a 4.4? So you won't be able to copy it!

@ Rob - it is easy! Hence why I'm getting it done on another car having done it six months ago! My old car is running without problem and is now owned by another forum member, Cam Tech Craig, CG SC has a converted SC too. It's just a question of getting the right kit fitted by somebody who's done them successfully before! Thumbs Up Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #83929 26th Sep 2011 5:42pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I seem to get around 270 miles/tank, have seen 300, but I was really starting to sweat!

I'm really warming to life with a RR and once I on longer have such a generous employer who provides a fuel card, I would seriously consider either LPG or a TDV8, so it would be intersesting to compare costs between a LPG S/C and a TDV8............. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Last edited by alanm_3 on 26th Sep 2011 6:10pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #83930 26th Sep 2011 5:46pm
rads

4.4? Wash your mouth out!

SC same as yours.

Are you going back to EuroLPG again? Dropped in there a week or so back and think I have convinced myself that is who I will use.

Where was the compressor re-located to on your previous? Iby talked about a ct on the body cross member ahead of the location of the tank which allows the compressor to stay in its original housing?

Spoke to Arun autogas, who I would have used is they had been a bit more local. They have done more than a dozen Superchargeds, using the same twin reducer BRC system, so I guess that should give confidence it is the right system.

Looking forward to hearing how yours goes!

David

Post #83933 26th Sep 2011 6:09pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

CG, did you get your car LPG'd in Scotland? I would hate to get it done and not have any local support should things need work. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #83937 26th Sep 2011 6:18pm
rads

4.4? Wash your mouth out!

SC same as yours.

Are you going back to EuroLPG again? Dropped in there a week or so back and think I have convinced myself that is who I will use.

Where was the compressor re-located to on your previous? Iby talked about a ct on the body cross member ahead of the location of the tank which allows the compressor to stay in its original housing?

Spoke to Arun autogas, who I would have used is they had been a bit more local. They have done more than a dozen Superchargeds, using the same twin reducer BRC system, so I guess that should give confidence it is the right system.

Looking forward to hearing how yours goes!

David

Post #83945 26th Sep 2011 6:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>