This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

EDWARD757 wrote:
Hi,
do any codereaders do BMW and LRcars?
I have a BMWat the moment but plan on a FFRR in the not too distant future.
Ed

Yes,

Do a search on ebay for them, you will see tons of people selling them. As long as your BMW has an OBD port you should be fine.

Dan 

Post #5577 14th May 2009 5:28pm
EDWARD757

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Cheers matey!
USB OBD bought - comes with software or I guess one can download alternative freeware to use.
Will the software say, for example, your rear right ABS sensor is knackered or does it generate a code that I then need to do an internet search to find out what it means?
Thanks for all the tips,
Kind regards,
Ed

Post #5578 14th May 2009 9:16pm
delsilencio

France 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Question:

..but the OBD2-Scanner is only for the engine or can I use it for the complete L322-system ? XJC, RRV8, Series1 86 and 107% of real pleasure

Post #5579 14th May 2009 9:44pm
dan_uk_1984

EDWARD757 wrote:
Cheers matey!
USB OBD bought - comes with software or I guess one can download alternative freeware to use.
Will the software say, for example, your rear right ABS sensor is knackered or does it generate a code that I then need to do an internet search to find out what it means?
Thanks for all the tips,
Kind regards,
Ed

It will give you a code, and desc. Sometimes the desc' is innacturate so its always worth doing a google search on the code first.

I'm not usre if ABS for example is covered on the OBD compliance l'm thinking not... 

Post #5580 14th May 2009 10:27pm
dan_uk_1984

delsilencio wrote:
Question:

..but the OBD2-Scanner is only for the engine or can I use it for the complete L322-system ?

Mainly engine, I've not had experience with the other systems, I think the Digimoto software supports it, but whether the Range Rover does is a different matter.

Cracked Digimoto:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/2211198 

Post #5581 14th May 2009 10:32pm
dan_uk_1984

Thought I'd stick some shots up of my el cheapo USB OBD scanner connected to the L322:

(note the error code but no light on the dash Confused )

Main Page Startup

Click image to enlarge

Charts
Click image to enlarge

Guages
Click image to enlarge

Main Page Warm
Click image to enlarge

O2 Sensors
Click image to enlarge

Error Codes
Click image to enlarge

Post #5602 16th May 2009 12:47pm
jope

Norway 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black

I'm using the diagnostic, fault code read/clear and full program tools from blackbox solutions..
Costs about 600 Euro, but can diagnost and do test on the most systems in the car.

Post #5606 16th May 2009 6:27pm
dan_uk_1984

jope wrote:
I'm using the diagnostic, fault code read/clear and full program tools from blackbox solutions..
Costs about 600 Euro, but can diagnost and do test on the most systems in the car.

And 575 more expensive.... Also I believe the 600 one is single vehicle licence? I personally would never buy a tool that you are not allowed to use on a different car. Once all the options are set (which generally you can get the dealer to do or ind') then in reality you will never need to change them again.

Don't get me worng, I would love to have the money to throw at rovacom/equiv but as I have to live to a budget I'll make do with being able to read/reset the codes with something for 25. Now that EASTool is out for the P38 hopefully it wont be long before this fantastic bit of freeware software is ported to the L322 and we can edit our EAS settings without the need of paying for what is essentially a 25 OBD tool and £600 worth of licence for the software! 

Post #5607 16th May 2009 6:49pm
jope

agree with you Dan. Unfortunaltely I was not aware that there was other obd-II scanners that could do as you has shown us here.

I haven't got what type of obdII reader you have. I may buy one and wonder if I sell my blackbox stuff.

I need now to find some good points about the blackbox solutions to comfort my investment.. I also try to keep my car budget as low, but thougt that this investemnt would pay back over time. As my stealer charge me 200 Euro just to connect his diagnostic..

Post #5608 16th May 2009 6:57pm
dan_uk_1984

jope wrote:
agree with you Dan. Unfortunaltely I was not aware that there was other obd-II scanners that could do as you has shown us here.

I haven't got what type of obdII reader you have. I may buy one and wonder if I sell my blackbox stuff.

I need now to find some good points about the blackbox solutions to comfort my investment.. I also try to keep my car budget as low, but thougt that this investemnt would pay back over time. As my stealer charge me 200 Euro just to connect his diagnostic..

Well, I think you can reset Air Bag faults? And obviously you can experiment with all the settings and find out what is good and what isnt. If you dont have the single vehicle licence then you can charge to reset other peoples codes and change settings. £25 per hour session is generally the going rate for it the last time I looked.

I would have thought the diagnostics for the HEVAC system would be very usefull as unlike the P38 the system doesnt tell you it has a fault, it just sits there not working and not telling you its not working Evil or Very Mad

If you do ever decide to get rid, i'm sure loads of people will want to buy it off you, trouble is I dont think you can transfer the single vehicle ones bacause they are tied to the VIN? Correct me if I'm wrong ( Censored practice of the developers I think Sad ) 

Post #5609 16th May 2009 7:10pm
jope

you can transfer the single license to another vin with a charge of about 50 Euro...

If i later buy a new RR or another car I also get discount for my single license software when upgrade.

Yes, I can diagnostic the hevac, run fans in diffrent speeds, even bleed my brakes Razz

I also can resync ecu with becm.. Also got message last time that my battery in key 2 needed to be changed..

Can also buy license on p38 and use it on the same hardware..

Post #5610 16th May 2009 7:16pm
BBS SPY

Cyprus 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Quote:
( Censored practice of the developers I think)

Well thank you Dan, that well may be your opinion and you are of course entitled and welcome to it, Thumbs Up but actually from another point of view, it's really quite a benefit. Very Happy
I think it is only fair therefore, after you providing your knowledge and input, that i might be allowed the same courtesy in response and balance, and to defend myself against such a defamatory remark.

OBDII legislation, although often mis understood, in fact does little more than force manufacturers to provide a "By the book" format for access to only emission related data of both the engine management and Automatic gearbox. Thereby there are now hundreds of tool providers who provide quite nice equipment that can access this data. some poeple on this thread do seem to know that and asked for confirmation.

Quote:
Well, I think you can reset Air Bag faults?

Think and hope all you wish, however, i along with many others who have fully read and understood the "by the book" standard (HS3000 if you want to know its true technical designation) and who have not just applied some wishful thinking, have to state that i know 10000% that you simply just can't do such things with any OBDII legislated equipment. Neither can you read and change the height settings in your EAS ECU, or access anything from any one of the other 30 possible ECU's in your L322. In fact never mind standardization, access to them is protected by a special anti access rolling code algorithm. Function &h27, Please feel free to post pictures to prove me wrong. Very Happy

That's the complete reason as to why there just are no cheap and simple tools that provide access to all Land Rover systems, no matter what the manufacture claims in order to sell you on it.

The fact is that anyone seeking to provide access to all vehicle systems and all features system in any way comparable to the dealers T4 or IDS system has to spend megabucks on development which quickly and easily explains why any, all encompassing Manufacturer based equipment typically costs thousands, always has and always will.

In order to find a way to offer such equipment at a far different price level that it woiuld otherwise be, we have uniquely and innovatively implemented a single vehicle licensing concept

I am sure that we all wish that there was a 99 pound tool that would allow everyone to access all diagnostic capability on all systems, but under the circumstances i have explained, that's sadly just not how it is.

The irony is of course that the European union tried unsuccessfully to stamp out this bad practice by the manufacturer in introducing its Block exemption regulation BER 1400 in 2002. In particular section 18 (from memory) specifically states that Vehicle manufacturers must make such information readily available to 3rd part tool manufacturers such as ourselves who asks of it. However by utilizing loop holes such as " may be restricted if security would be breached" and by pointing to having made on line provision (EG GTR that gives access to only wiring diagrams and workshop manuals) and by providing access to anyone to buy their own functionally limited IDS system for several thousand pounds, they managed to legally side step the issue. No surprises there Shocked

In fact, an independent study (Google ika study +ber 1400) shows conclusively the Ford (Owners of LR) simply lied when asked about their conformation to that specific BER.

So the fact of the matter is this, if you have a problem with your engine not running quite right or your vehicle has any other problematic aspect that could be related to emissions, any OBDII equipment can be purchased quite cheaply and is likely to provide all you need to find and fix the problem. However outside of this, for any other problem on any other system, you will need a Land Rover dedicated system. Of which there are a few, not least of all Land rovers own T4 or IDS, but all except one, costs several thousand pounds. 2003 4.4 HSE

Last edited by BBS SPY on 19th May 2009 12:07pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #5663 18th May 2009 9:46pm
dan_uk_1984

BBS, This post was for L322 owners who dont actually have megga bucks to blow on one tool that is then locked to their vehicle unless they cough up some more money.

Also I would point out that I am not trying to sell anything, however your essay there is clearly geared with a marketing direction in mind.

Are there any Land Rover sites left that you haven't pimped your product all over?

Yawn 

Post #5664 18th May 2009 9:53pm
jope

As typed in the second post Colin, I did and quick resume of what SOME of the possibilites with the msv-2 could do. And yes I do from time to time play with it, and the opportunity to save all the settings to a html is genious. I can then save all my settings and output. and the day I got a problem I can compare the settings and outcome..

I'm a satisfied customer of bbs diagnostic systems, and thinks that all buying a RR should spend some extra money on diagnostic tools for DIY..

As said earlier, my "steeler" charges me about 200 Euro for connecting his T4 diagnostic...

I'm also an active member of the BBS forum, and yes I DO KNOW THAT their programmers is doing whatever they can to get the best out of the diagnostic tools and to allways improve both performance and functionality..

Post #5665 18th May 2009 9:57pm
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Cant find the vomit Emoticons

Dan not aimed at you chap

Post #5666 19th May 2009 7:45am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>