Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Battery Drain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green
Battery Drain

As I tend to leave my car standing for a week or ten days before using it again I've noticed once or twice the new battery is only just capable of starting the engine. As winter is approaching and starting can only get harder I've been doing a few checks.
Checked every fuse for current drain, all clear bar 2.
Fuse 49, Nav system, on board computer, on board monitor and audio system has a drain when the car has gone to sleep of 70mA.
Same for fuse 47, Air suspension, drain 70mA.
Giving a total drain of 140mA. ie 2W at 12 V
This seems a lot to me, has anybody got any experience of reducing this drain apart from pulling the fuses each time I leave the car.
Thanks.

Post #88856 25th Oct 2011 11:51am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

didnt know the range had that kind of drain when standing, until you find out whether this is normal or just yours , you could try one of these solar charge up things that have been mentioned here to keep your battery topped up.

something like this from maplins

http://www.maplin.co.uk/solar-powered-12v-...rger-98358 ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #88857 25th Oct 2011 12:01pm
comports

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

Hi Niceday,

When did you do the tests (ie how long after "sleep").

The reason I ask is the the old P38's used to keep the car awake so the height sensors could check for level. I believe it went through a cycle of checking every half an hour or so and adjusting if necessary and as long as it read as level on all three occasions (with no adjustment necessary) it then went to sleep and didn't check again. It would however continue the half hourly cycle until it reached 3 results of level without adjustment. This was always a big cause for the P38 baterry to drain.

now the L322 may be different but just so it does'nt scew your results it might be worth checking. (unless you did your tests a few days later..!!) Ash
------------------------------------------------------
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #88864 25th Oct 2011 1:02pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

That interesting.
I plugged an ammeter in place of each fuse in turn and then locked the car and watched the ammeter readout thro the side window.
On the two fuses in question the current on each gradually subsided to 70mA and then settled at that after about 10min.
I then left the car locked for about an hour and kept looking at the readings and nothing changed.
I could understand the reading for the air suspension even if iI think it's a bit high but the reading for the nav etc seems a bit unnecessary. I'm thinking of un-plugging the nav unit to check to see if it is soley responsible for the drain on fuse 49. Never use the sat nav but it seems a shame to un-plug it permanently.
One thing I noticed is how many fuses register a current when a door on the car is open with the engine off, no wonder batteries drain when people listen to radios etc whilst cleaning the car. Smile
All these currents however went to zero the moment the door was shut and locked.
I'll plug the ammeter into fuse 57 again and leave it all afternoon to see if the air suspension "settles" and then shuts down completely.

Post #88866 25th Oct 2011 1:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1